Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default hiring someone to sell equipment

A year after selling the body of production equipment I'm still left
with presses, machine tools, welding equipment, office equipment,
forklifts and tons of other stuff. There will be a state boulevard I
would like to just hire a person to advertise, meet with buyers and sell
the stuff for a reasonable return. What would be the best way to find
somebody and what would be a good way to compensate him?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-12-24, Tom Gardner wrote:
A year after selling the body of production equipment I'm still left
with presses, machine tools, welding equipment, office equipment,
forklifts and tons of other stuff. There will be a state boulevard I
would like to just hire a person to advertise, meet with buyers and sell
the stuff for a reasonable return. What would be the best way to find
somebody and what would be a good way to compensate him?

You can sell everything in an auction. Call Cincinnati Industrial
Auctioneers.

Or you can sell everything yourself. There is no good way to sell on
consignment without getting cheated. All smart sellers avoid
consignment sales like the plague.

Scrap metal is worth nothing nowadays and expect to get almost nothing
for scrap machinery, or even pay for removal.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 24 Dec 2015 08:14:40 -0500, Tom Gardner
wrote:

A year after selling the body of production equipment I'm still left
with presses, machine tools, welding equipment, office equipment,
forklifts and tons of other stuff. There will be a state boulevard I
would like to just hire a person to advertise, meet with buyers and sell
the stuff for a reasonable return. What would be the best way to find
somebody and what would be a good way to compensate him?

There are companies that appear to sell used equipment as a business.
You might look at:

http://www.tradequip.com/

https://www.rigzone.com/search/c/com...sed_equipment/

Although these two companies specialize in oil field equipment there
must be other companies that do the same for plant equipment.
--
cheers,

John B.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

A year after selling the body of production equipment I'm still left
with presses, machine tools, welding equipment, office equipment,
forklifts and tons of other stuff. There will be a state boulevard I
would like to just hire a person to advertise, meet with buyers and sell
the stuff for a reasonable return. What would be the best way to find
somebody and what would be a good way to compensate him?

There are companies that appear to sell used equipment as a business.
You might look at:

http://www.tradequip.com/

https://www.rigzone.com/search/c/com...sed_equipment/

Although these two companies specialize in oil field equipment there
must be other companies that do the same for plant equipment.

There are quite a few of them. One of the biggest ones owned the
magazine I worked for 15 years ago.

But, as Iggy said, most of them want consignment or they'll just pay
you pennies on the dollar. The best bet is an auction. Iggy knows the
business.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-12-24, Tom Gardner wrote:
A year after selling the body of production equipment I'm still left
with presses, machine tools, welding equipment, office equipment,
forklifts and tons of other stuff. There will be a state boulevard I
would like to just hire a person to advertise, meet with buyers and sell
the stuff for a reasonable return. What would be the best way to find
somebody and what would be a good way to compensate him?

You can sell everything in an auction. Call Cincinnati Industrial
Auctioneers.

Or you can sell everything yourself. There is no good way to sell on
consignment without getting cheated. All smart sellers avoid
consignment sales like the plague.

Scrap metal is worth nothing nowadays and expect to get almost nothing
for scrap machinery, or even pay for removal.

I'm glad you responded as you have the experience. Some of the stuff is
gold, like a 99% Bridgeport loaded with tooling and others are like 30
ton presses with old style safeties. I don't pretend that all will sell
for my perceived value but I do have to get rid of everything in the
next year before the State takes the building for the road.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 24 Dec 2015 12:07:24 -0600, Ignoramus7100

On 2015-12-24, Tom Gardner wrote:
A year after selling the body of production equipment I'm still left
with presses, machine tools, welding equipment, office equipment,
forklifts and tons of other stuff. There will be a state boulevard I
would like to just hire a person to advertise, meet with buyers and sell
the stuff for a reasonable return. What would be the best way to find
somebody and what would be a good way to compensate him?

You can sell everything in an auction.

You certainly can. I've seen whole towns and girls' -virginity- sold
on eBay, for a taste of the gamut. g

Call Cincinnati Industrial Auctioneers.

That's probably not a bad idea. Auctioneers can jack up the action so
idiots are bidding against each other enough to pay for the auction
fees, and get him a better price than a "help me out" ad.

Or you can sell everything yourself. There is no good way to sell on
consignment without getting cheated. All smart sellers avoid
consignment sales like the plague.

Yeah, unless the stuff is handicrafts and you're asking $5 a pop.

Scrap metal is worth nothing nowadays and expect to get almost nothing
for scrap machinery, or even pay for removal.

Gawd, scrap iron is back down to $15/T? It's hardly worth the gas.
https://rockawayrecycling.com/scrap-metal-prices/

But when will stick iron come back down to realistic prices? Crom,
they wanted almost $30 for a stick of 1"x1/8 angle or 5/8" square the
last time I checked. UFR!

--
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes.
Art is knowing which ones to keep.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-12-24, Tom Gardner wrote:
A year after selling the body of production equipment I'm still left
with presses, machine tools, welding equipment, office equipment,
forklifts and tons of other stuff. There will be a state boulevard I
would like to just hire a person to advertise, meet with buyers and sell
the stuff for a reasonable return. What would be the best way to find
somebody and what would be a good way to compensate him?

You can sell everything in an auction.

You certainly can. I've seen whole towns and girls' -virginity- sold
on eBay, for a taste of the gamut. g

Call Cincinnati Industrial Auctioneers.

That's probably not a bad idea. Auctioneers can jack up the action so
idiots are bidding against each other enough to pay for the auction
fees, and get him a better price than a "help me out" ad.

Warning!! Before picking an auctioneer...get reviews from past
customers! Ive seen an auction company come in and nearly give away
everything in the factory. When $10k machines are going out the door
for $900...to dealers..who then take them back to their storefronts
and quickly sell them for $10k-15k...something is seriously wrong.

Or you can sell everything yourself. There is no good way to sell on
consignment without getting cheated. All smart sellers avoid
consignment sales like the plague.

Yeah, unless the stuff is handicrafts and you're asking $5 a pop.

Scrap metal is worth nothing nowadays and expect to get almost nothing
for scrap machinery, or even pay for removal.

Gawd, scrap iron is back down to $15/T? It's hardly worth the gas.
https://rockawayrecycling.com/scrap-metal-prices/

But when will stick iron come back down to realistic prices? Crom,
they wanted almost $30 for a stick of 1"x1/8 angle or 5/8" square the
last time I checked. UFR!

True enough. Which is one of the reasons folks should find the local
scrap yards rather than buying small quantities from steel yards

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-12-24, Tom Gardner wrote:
[...]

The Bridgeport should easily sell for cash. The presses, you need to
research them, some are not sellable and some are. A year is a long
time. I hope that you have a way to rig them inexpensively, like an
overhead crane. Otherwise rigging charges will kill your sales.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-12-24, Tom Gardner wrote:
A year after selling the body of production equipment I'm still left
with presses, machine tools, welding equipment, office equipment,
forklifts and tons of other stuff. There will be a state boulevard I
would like to just hire a person to advertise, meet with buyers and sell
the stuff for a reasonable return. What would be the best way to find
somebody and what would be a good way to compensate him?

You can sell everything in an auction.

You certainly can. I've seen whole towns and girls' -virginity- sold
on eBay, for a taste of the gamut. g

Call Cincinnati Industrial Auctioneers.

That's probably not a bad idea. Auctioneers can jack up the action so
idiots are bidding against each other enough to pay for the auction
fees, and get him a better price than a "help me out" ad.

Even if not, auctioneers will help get a more or less fair price where
a reseller can buy and still make some money resellin on ebay.

Scrap metal is worth nothing nowadays and expect to get almost nothing
for scrap machinery, or even pay for removal.

Gawd, scrap iron is back down to $15/T? It's hardly worth the gas.
https://rockawayrecycling.com/scrap-metal-prices/

It is worth about 50-60/ton in chicago in a semi truck quantity.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 2015-12-24, Tom Gardner wrote:
[...]

Gunner, while your recommendation is a solid one, even good
auctioneers have bad auctions from time to time, I love those.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 2015-12-24, Tom Gardner wrote:
[...]

Right. As a BUYER, bad auctioneers are truly wonderful. g

--
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes.
Art is knowing which ones to keep.
-- Scott Adams, 'The Dilbert Principle'
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 2015-12-24, Tom Gardner wrote:
[...]

That much? Wow, is someone remelting it near there?

--
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes.
Art is knowing which ones to keep.
-- Scott Adams, 'The Dilbert Principle'
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 2015-12-24, Tom Gardner wrote:
[...]

Like an old auctioneer friend said years back "an item is worth
exactly what the highest bidder is willing to pay on a particular day
- not one penny more, and not one penny less"

The secret is to use an auctioneer that has the reputation for getting
the buyers out. It is in his best interest to get the best price
possible for YOU, not the buyer - because he gets a percentage of the
take. If by spending a few bucks on advertizing he can get 2 buyers
for an item instead of one, he can more than double his take.

Get 10 or more buyers??? Who knows.

Around here anything that can be used by hobbyists or small (usually
mennonite farm based) businesses goes for a reasonably high price. But
the guys know their stuff - and if it's junk, there's a pretty good
chance you won't get more than junk price. Sometimes you get more
than you would expect if 2 guys both want it for parts though!!!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 12/25/2015 1:12 AM, Tom Gardner wrote:
On 12/24/2015 1:07 PM, Ignoramus7100 wrote:

You can sell everything in an auction. Call Cincinnati Industrial
Auctioneers.

Or you can sell everything yourself. There is no good way to sell on
consignment without getting cheated. All smart sellers avoid
consignment sales like the plague.

I'm glad you responded as you have the experience. Some of the stuff is
gold, like a 99% Bridgeport loaded with tooling and others are like 30
ton presses with old style safeties. I don't pretend that all will sell
for my perceived value but I do have to get rid of everything in the
next year before the State takes the building for the road.

The deal with auctions for larger stuff is twofold -- firstly, you need
to be in an area of enough large enough population so there's similar
activity to create at least _some_ demand or both the turnout and
bidding will be minimal irregardless of the actual quality of the
auctioneer himself. He can only expedite the sale, he can't create bids
from nothing.

Second is as somebody else noted, if it's heavy stuff and remote and you
can't load, or at least assist, it'll drive willingness to part with
cash for the item way, way down in order to make up for the
expense/trouble of getting it to its new home.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I'd suspect the prices are different across the US.
East and maybe gulf is scrapping Ships and containers.

Dallas is another issue. Tyler another issue. Tyler used
to get all of the iron pipe from Dallas/area. Don't know what
they produce from now.

Martin

On 12/26/2015 12:05 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sat, 26 Dec 2015 11:37:34 -0600, Ignoramus29630

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-12-24, Tom Gardner wrote:
[...]

\

I have a nice Toyota forklift and have moved most things with it at one
time or another and Roger can thread a needle with it and is a pretty
good rigger so we should be able to safely load anything on a flatbed at
least. But, believe me, I know the value of a professional rigger. I
regret there's no market for all the overhead shafting in babbited bearings.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-12-24, Tom Gardner wrote:
[...]

Actually there is a market for the shafting but probably not a ton of
money. There are quite a few folks out there setting up line shaft
driven shops and museums. The problem is getting the info out.

What is the Bridgeport? 3phase? Tooling?

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 27/12/2015 11:00 PM, Steve W. wrote:

Actually there is a market for the shafting but probably not a ton of
money. There are quite a few folks out there setting up line shaft
driven shops and museums.

If I'd ever won the Lotto, my dream shop would have had a nice range of
CNC machinery inside, outside under an overhang, a line shaft driven
shop powered by steam or hit or miss engine.

Jon

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-12-24, Tom Gardner wrote:
[...]

Lots of LineShaft shops up in the Linwood/Wallenstein/Wellesley area
of Ontario
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 28 Dec 2015 07:34:15 +1100, Jon Anderson
wrote:

On 27/12/2015 11:00 PM, Steve W. wrote:

Actually there is a market for the shafting but probably not a ton of
money. There are quite a few folks out there setting up line shaft
driven shops and museums.

If I'd ever won the Lotto, my dream shop would have had a nice range of
CNC machinery inside, outside under an overhang, a line shaft driven
shop powered by steam or hit or miss engine.

What marvelous juxtaposition, Jon! Duality lives.

CNC + line shaft + steam + hit/miss

--
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes.
Art is knowing which ones to keep.
-- Scott Adams, 'The Dilbert Principle'

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner writes:

I regret there's no market for all the overhead shafting in babbited
bearings.

You might contact ABANA (http://www.anbana.org) or your local ABANA
chapter or other blacksmithing group. A number of smiths still like
to run their old mechanical power hammers (and sometimes other gear)
from line shafts.

Doubtless not a big sales-price potential but you might find some
people who would happily come and take away lineshafts, pulleys and
belting at no cost to you or for a modest price.

I would do so were I within 100 miles or so but I'm very far away, as
you can see from the .sig. I run a 24" bandsaw and my 25# Jardine
from overhead shaft, did same with a 100# Palmer Power Spring Hammer
before I swapped it away.

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-12-24, Tom Gardner wrote:
[...]

Actually..there might be. A number of groups set up shops for
historical purposes and they may well be interested in your gear.
Now how to contact them..or put out the word...that..I cant help you
with. But other folks here may well be able to. You wont get much out
of it..but you will likely get something.

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 27/12/2015 11:00 PM, Steve W. wrote:

Actually there is a market for the shafting but probably not a ton of
money. There are quite a few folks out there setting up line shaft
driven shops and museums.

If I'd ever won the Lotto, my dream shop would have had a nice range of
CNC machinery inside, outside under an overhang, a line shaft driven
shop powered by steam or hit or miss engine.

What marvelous juxtaposition, Jon! Duality lives.

CNC + line shaft + steam + hit/miss

Power is power. And its not all that bad an idea..particularly with
the events of the next 5 yrs to yet be unrolled.

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 2015-12-24, Tom Gardner wrote:
[...]

Yep. The US is a great industrial giant.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-12-27, Tom Gardner wrote:

I have a nice Toyota forklift and have moved most things with it at one
time or another and Roger can thread a needle with it and is a pretty
good rigger so we should be able to safely load anything on a flatbed at
least.

OK, great.

I regret there's no market for all the overhead shafting in babbited
bearings.

Are you sure of this? I was able to sell flat belt pullies (40" in
diameter) for a pretty nice price.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 27/12/2015 11:00 PM, Steve W. wrote:

Actually there is a market for the shafting but probably not a ton of
money. There are quite a few folks out there setting up line shaft
driven shops and museums.

If I'd ever won the Lotto, my dream shop would have had a nice range of
CNC machinery inside, outside under an overhang, a line shaft driven
shop powered by steam or hit or miss engine.

What marvelous juxtaposition, Jon! Duality lives.

CNC + line shaft + steam + hit/miss

Power is power. And its not all that bad an idea..particularly with
the events of the next 5 yrs to yet be unrolled.

Absolutely! I'm aligned with Jon's intent, too. We all just wait for
our lotto to come in. (My neighbor just won $110 on a $12 scratcher
investment. Last month it was $900+, and a few hundred the month
before. She's quite lucky.)

I was just commenting on the ironic humor of it all, which I love.

--
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes.
Art is knowing which ones to keep.
-- Scott Adams, 'The Dilbert Principle'
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 2015-12-24, Tom Gardner wrote:
[...]

Perhaps. But if so, why does Gunner make his living decommissioning
(and you hauling off) the dregs of so many failed businesses? sigh
Sad, it is.

--
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes.
Art is knowing which ones to keep.
-- Scott Adams, 'The Dilbert Principle'
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/27/2015 7:00 AM, Steve W. wrote:

Actually there is a market for the shafting but probably not a ton of
money. There are quite a few folks out there setting up line shaft
driven shops and museums. The problem is getting the info out.

What is the Bridgeport? 3phase? Tooling?

The BP is my pride and Joy! 3-ph, 2hp. variable speed. Pretty complete
R-8 tooling, XY DRO, power x. One shot oiler. Like new, not a scratch
(almost)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/27/2015 3:34 PM, Jon Anderson wrote:
If I'd ever won the Lotto, my dream shop would have had a nice range of
CNC machinery inside, outside under an overhang, a line shaft driven
shop powered by steam or hit or miss engine.

Jon

At one time the shafts were driven by a one cylinder natural gas engine.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-12-27, Tom Gardner wrote:

I have a nice Toyota forklift and have moved most things with it at one
time or another and Roger can thread a needle with it and is a pretty
good rigger so we should be able to safely load anything on a flatbed at
least.

OK, great.

I regret there's no market for all the overhead shafting in babbited
bearings.

Are you sure of this? I was able to sell flat belt pullies (40" in
diameter) for a pretty nice price.

I don't know if any are that big. I do have a step pully, I bet that's odd.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/28/2015 12:24 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Perhaps. But if so, why does Gunner make his living decommissioning
(and you hauling off) the dregs of so many failed businesses? sigh
Sad, it is.

I wonder if the owners know he does this or do they just show up one
morning to a clean shop?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 2015-12-24, Tom Gardner wrote:
[...]

it was $200+ a year ago.

So much for that "great industrial giant"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 2015-12-24, Tom Gardner wrote:
[...]

Actually..I make my living fixing machinery. But...the ratio between
fixing and shutting down shops is inverting...unfortunately. So you
are becoming more and more correct as time goes by.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 28 Dec 2015 01:38:13 -0500, Tom Gardner
wrote:

On 12/27/2015 7:00 AM, Steve W. wrote:

Actually there is a market for the shafting but probably not a ton of
money. There are quite a few folks out there setting up line shaft
driven shops and museums. The problem is getting the info out.

What is the Bridgeport? 3phase? Tooling?

The BP is my pride and Joy! 3-ph, 2hp. variable speed. Pretty complete
R-8 tooling, XY DRO, power x. One shot oiler. Like new, not a scratch
(almost)

So take it home and use it in your home shop. Put in your will Roger
gets it when you "loose interest"

Most they are worth is about $5-7k in good condition..at best. And at
an auction..probably about half that..at most.

Most..most auctions are held for dealers..who pay much less than full
market value so they can sell at market value +/- and make a living.
Id never pay full boat for a piece of machinery. Ever.

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 12/28/2015 12:24 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Perhaps. But if so, why does Gunner make his living decommissioning
(and you hauling off) the dregs of so many failed businesses? sigh
Sad, it is.

I wonder if the owners know he does this or do they just show up one
morning to a clean shop?

Ouch! Some friend you are.

--
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes.
Art is knowing which ones to keep.
-- Scott Adams, 'The Dilbert Principle'
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 2015-12-24, Tom Gardner wrote:
[...]

Yup. We've been watching.

Although I have a contractor's license (which I'm letting lapse next
year when I fully retire) the largest jobs I've done have been porches
and decks. Now, in semi-retirement, I'm doing only smaller jobs. It's
averaging 3 hours a week, but this week will be heavy, maybe 6.
That will pick up in Spring, but I'm happy with a few small jobs. This
retirement stuff is FUN!

By Crom, I may get organized and decluttered yet!

--
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes.
Art is knowing which ones to keep.
-- Scott Adams, 'The Dilbert Principle'
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 28 Dec 2015 01:39:56 -0500, Tom Gardner
wrote:

On 12/27/2015 3:34 PM, Jon Anderson wrote:
If I'd ever won the Lotto, my dream shop would have had a nice range of
CNC machinery inside, outside under an overhang, a line shaft driven
shop powered by steam or hit or miss engine.

Jon

At one time the shafts were driven by a one cylinder natural gas engine.

Oh, bull. We know it was run on methane from the old Gardner fart
running that shop.

--
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes.
Art is knowing which ones to keep.
-- Scott Adams, 'The Dilbert Principle'
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

Although I have a contractor's license (which I'm letting lapse next
year when I fully retire) the largest jobs I've done have been
porches
and decks. Now, in semi-retirement, I'm doing only smaller jobs.
It's
averaging 3 hours a week, but this week will be heavy, maybe 6.
That will pick up in Spring, but I'm happy with a few small jobs.
This
retirement stuff is FUN!

Are you the "Home and Garden Handyman"?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/28/2015 8:08 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
At one time the shafts were driven by a one cylinder natural gas engine.

Oh, bull. We know it was run on methane from the old Gardner fart
running that shop.

--

How did you know? The employees used to lovingly call my sweet father
"Put-Put"...and it wasn't for his golf game. He said one advantage of