Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default hiring someone to sell equipment

On Fri, 25 Dec 2015 07:29:10 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Thu, 24 Dec 2015 12:07:24 -0600, Ignoramus7100

On 2015-12-24, Tom Gardner wrote:
A year after selling the body of production equipment I'm still left
with presses, machine tools, welding equipment, office equipment,
forklifts and tons of other stuff. There will be a state boulevard I
would like to just hire a person to advertise, meet with buyers and sell
the stuff for a reasonable return. What would be the best way to find
somebody and what would be a good way to compensate him?

You can sell everything in an auction.

You certainly can. I've seen whole towns and girls' -virginity- sold
on eBay, for a taste of the gamut. g

Call Cincinnati Industrial Auctioneers.

That's probably not a bad idea. Auctioneers can jack up the action so
idiots are bidding against each other enough to pay for the auction
fees, and get him a better price than a "help me out" ad.

Warning!! Before picking an auctioneer...get reviews from past
customers! Ive seen an auction company come in and nearly give away
everything in the factory. When $10k machines are going out the door
for $900...to dealers..who then take them back to their storefronts
and quickly sell them for $10k-15k...something is seriously wrong.

Or you can sell everything yourself. There is no good way to sell on
consignment without getting cheated. All smart sellers avoid
consignment sales like the plague.

Yeah, unless the stuff is handicrafts and you're asking $5 a pop.

Scrap metal is worth nothing nowadays and expect to get almost nothing
for scrap machinery, or even pay for removal.

Gawd, scrap iron is back down to $15/T? It's hardly worth the gas.
https://rockawayrecycling.com/scrap-metal-prices/

But when will stick iron come back down to realistic prices? Crom,
they wanted almost $30 for a stick of 1"x1/8 angle or 5/8" square the
last time I checked. UFR!

True enough. Which is one of the reasons folks should find the local
scrap yards rather than buying small quantities from steel yards