Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default hiring someone to sell equipment

On 12/25/2015 1:12 AM, Tom Gardner wrote:
On 12/24/2015 1:07 PM, Ignoramus7100 wrote:

You can sell everything in an auction. Call Cincinnati Industrial
Auctioneers.

Or you can sell everything yourself. There is no good way to sell on
consignment without getting cheated. All smart sellers avoid
consignment sales like the plague.

I'm glad you responded as you have the experience. Some of the stuff is
gold, like a 99% Bridgeport loaded with tooling and others are like 30
ton presses with old style safeties. I don't pretend that all will sell
for my perceived value but I do have to get rid of everything in the
next year before the State takes the building for the road.

The deal with auctions for larger stuff is twofold -- firstly, you need
to be in an area of enough large enough population so there's similar
activity to create at least _some_ demand or both the turnout and
bidding will be minimal irregardless of the actual quality of the
auctioneer himself. He can only expedite the sale, he can't create bids
from nothing.

Second is as somebody else noted, if it's heavy stuff and remote and you
can't load, or at least assist, it'll drive willingness to part with
cash for the item way, way down in order to make up for the
expense/trouble of getting it to its new home.