Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_4_] Steve W.[_4_] is offline

Default hiring someone to sell equipment

On 2015-12-24, Tom Gardner wrote:
A year after selling the body of production equipment I'm still left
with presses, machine tools, welding equipment, office equipment,
forklifts and tons of other stuff. There will be a state boulevard I
would like to just hire a person to advertise, meet with buyers and sell
the stuff for a reasonable return. What would be the best way to find
somebody and what would be a good way to compensate him?
You can sell everything in an auction. Call Cincinnati Industrial
Auctioneers.

Or you can sell everything yourself. There is no good way to sell on
consignment without getting cheated. All smart sellers avoid
consignment sales like the plague.

Scrap metal is worth nothing nowadays and expect to get almost nothing
for scrap machinery, or even pay for removal.

I'm glad you responded as you have the experience. Some of the stuff is
gold, like a 99% Bridgeport loaded with tooling and others are like 30
ton presses with old style safeties. I don't pretend that all will sell
for my perceived value but I do have to get rid of everything in the
next year before the State takes the building for the road.

The Bridgeport should easily sell for cash. The presses, you need to
research them, some are not sellable and some are. A year is a long
time. I hope that you have a way to rig them inexpensively, like an
overhead crane. Otherwise rigging charges will kill your sales.

\

I have a nice Toyota forklift and have moved most things with it at one
time or another and Roger can thread a needle with it and is a pretty
good rigger so we should be able to safely load anything on a flatbed at
least. But, believe me, I know the value of a professional rigger. I
regret there's no market for all the overhead shafting in babbited bearings.

Actually there is a market for the shafting but probably not a ton of
money. There are quite a few folks out there setting up line shaft
driven shops and museums. The problem is getting the info out.

What is the Bridgeport? 3phase? Tooling?

--
Steve W.