Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Tire weight alloy

Anybody know what they're made of ? I need to cast some balls for a ball
mill , and have a choice of pure lead or tire weight material . I see
sellers on ebay that have 10% antimony/90 lead for this use , others have
pure lead . Still others have ceramic balls , but I'm not sure those have
enough weight for a small ball mill . The one thing all have in common is
that they're around a half inch diameter . I figger the .490 ball mold for
my muzzleloader will work just fine .
--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Can't answer the alloy question directly, but tire weight lead is harder
than pure lead. I use it for lead hammers & it's much better than pure
for that.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wednesday, February 4, 2015 at 12:08:25 PM UTC-8, Terry Coombs wrote:
Anybody know what they're made of ? I need to cast some balls for a ball
mill , and have a choice of pure lead or tire weight material

Ball mills make lots of dust, and lead oxide dust is toxic. Could you just use steel
shot instead (BBs?), or gravel?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
Anybody know what they're made of ? I need to cast some balls for a
ball mill , and have a choice of pure lead or tire weight material

Ball mills make lots of dust, and lead oxide dust is toxic. Could
you just use steel shot instead (BBs?), or gravel?

What I'm milling requires the media to be non-sparking .

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wednesday, February 4, 2015 at 3:08:25 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:
Anybody know what they're made of ?
--
Snag

There is at least two types. One a lead alloy and the other zinc.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 4 Feb 2015 18:05:52 -0600, "Terry Coombs"

wrote:
Anybody know what they're made of ?
--
Snag

There is at least two types. One a lead alloy and the other zinc.

Dan

These are the lead alloy , a place my son worked at tossed boxes of new
weights when they converted . Most of the boxes made their way into the shop
manager's car ... my son managed to get one for me and no one ever asked
why the manager ordered a bunch of them shortly before the changeover ... .
I also got a bunch of used ones from somewhere , the ones that didn't melt
were all steel .

The lead alloy weights are alloyed with antimony to make them harder.
Will lead particles in the finished product be a problem? Because
there will surely be lead dust in the dust you are making.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 4 Feb 2015 20:22:21 -0600, "Terry Coombs"

wrote:
Anybody know what they're made of ?
--
Snag

There is at least two types. One a lead alloy and the other zinc.

Dan

These are the lead alloy , a place my son worked at tossed boxes of
new weights when they converted . Most of the boxes made their way
into the shop manager's car ... my son managed to get one for me
and no one ever asked why the manager ordered a bunch of them
shortly before the changeover ... . I also got a bunch of used ones
from somewhere , the ones that didn't melt were all steel .

The lead alloy weights are alloyed with antimony to make them harder.
Will lead particles in the finished product be a problem? Because
there will surely be lead dust in the dust you are making.
Eric

Well , since it's intended to push lead , I don't think it'll matter much
. I have really gotten into primitive hunting techniques since moving to the
woods of North central Arkansas ... next thing ya know I'll be gluing turkey
feathers onto wood sticks with glue from boiled hooves .

Nuttin' A-tall wrong with that, Snag.

Though I might get into something more modern once I finish my Gingery
shaper build . With a shaper one can fabricate bolt action receivers . And a
lot of other neat stuff . Like falling blocks ...

Gonna be making your own .50 cal Sharps, big guy? g

--
Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds
are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

A few months ago I scored a bunch of .45/70 cases ... I have .454 bullet
molds . I'll need a barrel and a chambering reamer . Did you know that it's
possible to convert a sidelock percussion arm to use modern boxer primers ?

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

"I found some cases so now I need to build a gun around 'em.", eh?
Cool, carry on!

Did you know that it's
possible to convert a sidelock percussion arm to use modern boxer primers ?

No, and that's not just because I'd never heard the term "sidelock"
before, either. :/ I like my guns to be semi-automatic, so I've
never looked into muzzleloading, single actions, or things of that
sort.

--
Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds
are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her
tribunal for every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the
existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of
the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear.
-- Thomas Jefferson
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2/4/2015 3:53 PM, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
... tire weight lead is harder than pure lead. I use it for lead
hammers & it's much better than pure for that.

Oh, wait ... (senior moment): I use Linotype lead for hammers, it is
harder. I don't think that wheel weights are hard (why would they be?).

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

I like 'em all , and have or have owned most types . My personal
preference is for bolt actions with high-power scopes ... but semi-autos and
SA revolvers are fun too . The only type that has no place in my collection
is a full auto . I think they're a waste of ammo in most cases ... though in
full combat situations they can be quite handy .

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

I thought that black powder was made by milling the charcoal and
sulfur together, the saltpetre by itself, and then carefully mixing
them. I have a recipe somewhere from over 40 years ago that I used to
make my own powder. I used a mortar and pestle. Made by Coors.
Appropriate at the time because we were drinking some we stole from my
friend's dad. I remember wetting the powder and pressing it into tiny
pellets about 1/4" diameter and 1/8" long. After drying we made some
pretty loud bangs but not as loud as hoped.
Eric

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

from boiled hooves . Though I might get into something more modern
once I finish my Gingery shaper build . With a shaper one can
fabricate bolt action receivers . And a lot of other neat stuff .
Like falling blocks ...

I thought that black powder was made by milling the charcoal and
sulfur together, the saltpetre by itself, and then carefully mixing
them. I have a recipe somewhere from over 40 years ago that I used to
make my own powder. I used a mortar and pestle. Made by Coors.
Appropriate at the time because we were drinking some we stole from my
friend's dad. I remember wetting the powder and pressing it into tiny
pellets about 1/4" diameter and 1/8" long. After drying we made some
pretty loud bangs but not as loud as hoped.
Eric

It all gets milled together . I'll be using KNO3 prills for some , that
material will be milled a couple of hours before adding the charcoal and
sulfur . Once it's all milled to the consistency of very fine dust it'll be
moistened just enough to be pressed into cakes which will then be processed
into granules by pushing it thru a screen . Let it dry out then make bangs .

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 5 Feb 2015 12:29:32 -0600, "Terry Coombs"

wrote:
[...]

Man, I thought you had found a bat cave or was saving your pee in
buckets to leach through wood ashes. One of the foxfire books had
techniques and recipes. If you want, I can dig through mine and give
you the reference.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 05 Feb 2015 08:49:24 -0500, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

On 2/4/2015 3:53 PM, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
... tire weight lead is harder than pure lead. I use it for lead
hammers & it's much better than pure for that.

Oh, wait ... (senior moment): I use Linotype lead for hammers, it is
harder.

4-12-84 tin antimony and lead alloy.
I don't think that wheel weights are hard (why would they be?).

They are. They are generally 0.5% antimony and 0.25% arsenic - the
rest being lead - and they are heat treated for hardness.

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

with glue from boiled hooves . Though I might get into something
[...]

Pee and wood ashes ? Hmmm ... wood burning stove , camper black water
holding tank ... I could do that ! But not really worth the effort right
now , I have enough ingredients to make a few pounds , probably more than
I'll ever shoot . Just a few days ago tried my hand at making charcoal from
some black gum . Very similar to willow , which supposedly makes the best .

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
Did you know that it's
possible to convert a sidelock percussion arm to use modern boxer
primers ?

No, and that's not just because I'd never heard the term "sidelock"
before, either. :/ I like my guns to be semi-automatic, so I've
never looked into muzzleloading, single actions, or things of that
sort.

I like 'em all , and have or have owned most types . My personal
preference is for bolt actions with high-power scopes ... but semi-autos and
SA revolvers are fun too . The only type that has no place in my collection
is a full auto . I think they're a waste of ammo in most cases ... though in
full combat situations they can be quite handy .

Agreed. Full auto has its very tiny niche application: Downing (as
fast as possible) as many rioters/foreign soldiers which are running
at you. If you can't miss and there are lots of them, a full auto is
just fine. But people sure waste ammo with them. I wonder if even
the select fire (2-3 rounds) on M-16s is truly warranted, or just a
lesser waste of ammo than full-auto.

--
Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds
are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her
tribunal for every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the
existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of
the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear.
-- Thomas Jefferson

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 4 Feb 2015 14:08:22 -0600, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Anybody know what they're made of ? I need to cast some balls for a ball
mill , and have a choice of pure lead or tire weight material . I see
sellers on ebay that have 10% antimony/90 lead for this use , others have
pure lead . Still others have ceramic balls , but I'm not sure those have
enough weight for a small ball mill . The one thing all have in common is
that they're around a half inch diameter . I figger the .490 ball mold for
my muzzleloader will work just fine .

Wheel weights are about..not exactly..but close to "#2 Alloy" They
are pretty hard for muzzle loaders, but they will...will work. They
may tend to cast a smidge small, sometimes...but the patch will make
up the difference.

A pure lead .50 ball will weigh about 177 grs (.490) while a wheel
weight ball may be around 165-170.

Not a hell of a lot of difference. Just dont mix and match..keep your
ww balls seperate from your pure lead balls.

Patching and lube differences are the bigger challenges when shooting
wheelweight balls

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthr...wheel_weight_a

etc etc

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

Falling blocks are a hell of a lot easier to make on a shaper. Been
there, done that.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/hobby-...lueprints.html

http://www.assra.com/Archivelibrary.htm

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/947...walter-mueller

http://s89.photobucket.com/user/Rifl...start=0&page=1

etc etc etc

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

Yes, However..its dangerous. Boxer primers have a lot more Whap! to
them and unless your hammer is sheilded properly.you may wind up with
metal in your face. Most current boxer primer devices enclose them
inside of a screw together gizmo..which makes a fast reload a pain in
the ass.

You can also use roll caps and "greenie stickem caps" and the red
plastic cap gun primers found in the toy guns section of most any
discount store. You will just have to make new nipples for each type

The old Hopkins and Allen underhammers were pretty good for this sort
of thing.

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 5 Feb 2015 08:06:54 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader

On Wednesday, February 4, 2015 at 3:08:25 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:
Anybody know what they're made of ?
--
Snag

There is at least two types. One a lead alloy and the other zinc.

I just went to the tire shop to dig through the wheel weight bucket. The
plan was to just grab some for casting a lead hammer for a nice wood
handle I got. I had some battery terminals saved up as well for this.

Anyways, there seemed to all sorts of junk in the bucket that clearly
wasn't lead.

Some weights were clearly marked "Zn" while there were some that were
clearly lead, some that felt like lead but didn't look like it. It seems
they have pained or coated lead weights now too. There were some types of
plastic weights too, not sure what was inside them. I left those.

I had to sort the haul at home. A scribe confirmed the obviously lead ones
were probably lead. Lineman pliers easily sink right though those.

The dense lead-ish ones also cut easily, but had a coating of paint or
metal. Not really sure what it is. They felt too hard to be lead with a
scribe.

A few zinc ones slipped into my bag, and those are hard and do not cut at
all.

I'll have to melt the stuff down to separate the steel clips and other
crap, which should float to the top.

The zinc will float as well..but if you go over about 750-800F..they
may sublimate into the mix and the resulting bullets will be a pain in
the ass.

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

The wheel weights were intended for the .30 cal modern rifles . I have
enough pure lead for quite a few balls for the BP guns .
But this next run will be for a ball mill .
--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

Well I mean back to reality though, Terry. If you want the best explosive - or smokeless powder (if that's what you mean), you really should have a friend or two there with you and all of you should have taken college level chemistry courses. Best explosive such as in heat? Light? Force? Pounds per square inch?

I mean, otherwise, you are just like a bunch of intermediate school kids gathering dog crap and your own urine, etc... and playing with make-believe fireworks, home made rifles, etc... on a saturday. When I was a kid, I saw some dangerous stuff done by kids just for kicks in the neighborhood.

None of that was long-time professional explosive manufacturing complete with consultants, physicists, etc... Only that gets you "the best", let's not fool ourselves,

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

Now if you don't want to go the college physics/chemistry route. There are always groups like rec.pyrotechnics and alt.engr.explosives
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Wheel weights work very nicely in handguns, but for use in
rifles..they should..should be kept down to about 1800-2200 fps and.
If you have worked up a load in a weapon with good sharp rifling and
smooth grooves..you can go higher..with the right powder/gas checks
etc

For a ball mill..by all means use wheel weights. Its tough enough take
abuse without smearing lead on everything.

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 07 Feb 2015 02:47:18 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

[...]

I would think ANY bullet in that area of the anatomy would be a
pain!!!

PJ O'Rourke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

ROFLMAO!!
Indeed.

On the serious side..zinc contamination of bullet alloys will show up
as wildly unfilled bullets, a smearing inside the mould and wild
variations of bullet weight in the few you get that are actually
filled out.

I bought 100 llbs of "#2 Alloy" at a gunshow once for a significant
amount of money..took it home and it turned out to be a zinc alloy and
proven to be so by a spectroanalysis (friend in a local oilfield lab)

Next gunshow I was NOT the only guy demanding his money back from the
seller. Being a good guy..he payed us all back and left at the end of
the day weighing far more than when he arrived. He had bought it from
a company up in the Fresno area for pennies...shrug..and they sold him
zinc babbet.

PJ O'Rourke

PJ O'Rourke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Well I mean back to reality though, Terry. If you want the best
explosive - or smokeless powder (if that's what you mean), you really
should have a friend or two there with you and all of you should have
taken college level chemistry courses. Best explosive such as in
heat? Light? Force? Pounds per square inch?

I mean, otherwise, you are just like a bunch of intermediate school
kids gathering dog crap and your own urine, etc... and playing with
make-believe fireworks, home made rifles, etc... on a saturday. When
I was a kid, I saw some dangerous stuff done by kids just for kicks
in the neighborhood.

None of that was long-time professional explosive manufacturing
complete with consultants, physicists, etc... Only that gets you
"the best", let's not fool ourselves,

Well , I'm not making smokeless powder , and wouldn't try , it's way too
dangerous a process without a full lab and the proper facilities since
you're so smart , explain to me what is "cross-linked double-based
smokeless powder" . Black powder , however is another thing entirely , and
that's what I'll be making . Three ingredients in long-standardized
proportion milled until all ingredients are intimately mixed , then
processed into the granulation you want/need . That ain't rocket science .
However , if it were I'd still have that covered . Back in my younger days I
worked with some very intelligent and well-educated fooks at a place called
Thiokol Chemical Corp . Their main product ? Yup , you guessed it , rocket
motors . I'd venture to guess I know more about "rocket science" than most
reasonably-well-informed folks , and almost certainly more than you .
"Home made rifles" ? Really ? Whether you like it or will even admit it ,
I'm probably a better machinist than half of the hacks out there doing it
for a living . And damn sure a better one than you .
--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have a couple of lead counterweights, which are chunks of lead about
1 ton each. And I have a question, how can I split them up into pieces
that can fit into medium flat rate boxes. A chainsaw does not work well.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 07 Feb 2015 17:09:31 -0600, Ignoramus19651
wrote:

I have a couple of lead counterweights, which are chunks of lead about
1 ton each. And I have a question, how can I split them up into pieces
that can fit into medium flat rate boxes. A chainsaw does not work well.

If it were me, I wouldn't try to cut them. I'd contact boatyards that
build sailboats and see if they'll take the whole weight.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I have a couple of lead counterweights, which are chunks of lead about
1 ton each. And I have a question, how can I split them up into pieces
that can fit into medium flat rate boxes. A chainsaw does not work well.

If it were me, I wouldn't try to cut them. I'd contact boatyards that
build sailboats and see if they'll take the whole weight.

Excellent suggestion!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 7 Feb 2015 15:37:06 -0600, "Terry Coombs"

[...]

^5!!!!!

Bravo!

Btw..making plastique is quite easy.
PJ O'Rourke

Old Coats Tire Man manual tire changer oldjag Metalworking 19 November 28th 19 11:18 PM
Weight of slate roof versus weight of cement tile roof replacement? N_Cook UK diy 10 October 1st 10 07:22 PM
HTS-528 Brazing Alloy [email protected] Metalworking 1 May 16th 06 01:44 AM
Alloy Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 10 September 17th 04 12:33 AM
Brightening alloy GMasterman Metalworking 6 August 25th 04 01:49 AM