Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Tire weight alloy

On Wed, 4 Feb 2015 20:22:21 -0600, "Terry Coombs"

On Wed, 4 Feb 2015 18:05:52 -0600, "Terry Coombs"

On Wednesday, February 4, 2015 at 3:08:25 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs
wrote:
Anybody know what they're made of ?
--
Snag

There is at least two types. One a lead alloy and the other zinc.

Dan

These are the lead alloy , a place my son worked at tossed boxes of
new weights when they converted . Most of the boxes made their way
into the shop manager's car ... my son managed to get one for me
and no one ever asked why the manager ordered a bunch of them
shortly before the changeover ... . I also got a bunch of used ones
from somewhere , the ones that didn't melt were all steel .

The lead alloy weights are alloyed with antimony to make them harder.
Will lead particles in the finished product be a problem? Because
there will surely be lead dust in the dust you are making.
Eric

Well , since it's intended to push lead , I don't think it'll matter much
. I have really gotten into primitive hunting techniques since moving to the
woods of North central Arkansas ... next thing ya know I'll be gluing turkey
feathers onto wood sticks with glue from boiled hooves .

Nuttin' A-tall wrong with that, Snag.

Though I might get into something more modern once I finish my Gingery
shaper build . With a shaper one can fabricate bolt action receivers . And a
lot of other neat stuff . Like falling blocks ...

Gonna be making your own .50 cal Sharps, big guy? g

--
Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds
are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her