Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Tire weight alloy

On Thu, 05 Feb 2015 18:09:19 -0500, wrote:

On Thu, 05 Feb 2015 08:49:24 -0500, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

On 2/4/2015 3:53 PM, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
... tire weight lead is harder than pure lead. I use it for lead
hammers & it's much better than pure for that.

Oh, wait ... (senior moment): I use Linotype lead for hammers, it is
harder.

4-12-84 tin antimony and lead alloy.
I don't think that wheel weights are hard (why would they be?).

They are. They are generally 0.5% antimony and 0.25% arsenic - the
rest being lead - and they are heat treated for hardness.

Bob

Wheel weight bullets are easily heat treated. Simply cast and dump
into a 5 gallon bucket of water. They will harden up to about 13
Brinel in about 5-7 days and remail that hard for about 15 yrs..then
slowly start softening up a bit and will go down to about 9 or so
Brinel

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke