Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Tire weight alloy

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 4 Feb 2015 20:22:21 -0600, "Terry Coombs"

On Wed, 4 Feb 2015 18:05:52 -0600, "Terry Coombs"

On Wednesday, February 4, 2015 at 3:08:25 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs
wrote:
Anybody know what they're made of ?
--
Snag

There is at least two types. One a lead alloy and the other zinc.

Dan

These are the lead alloy , a place my son worked at tossed boxes
of new weights when they converted . Most of the boxes made their
way into the shop manager's car ... my son managed to get one for
me and no one ever asked why the manager ordered a bunch of them
shortly before the changeover ... . I also got a bunch of used
ones from somewhere , the ones that didn't melt were all steel .
The lead alloy weights are alloyed with antimony to make them
harder. Will lead particles in the finished product be a problem?
Because there will surely be lead dust in the dust you are making.
Eric

Well , since it's intended to push lead , I don't think it'll
matter much . I have really gotten into primitive hunting techniques
since moving to the woods of North central Arkansas ... next thing
ya know I'll be gluing turkey feathers onto wood sticks with glue
from boiled hooves .

Nuttin' A-tall wrong with that, Snag.

Though I might get into something more modern once I finish my
Gingery shaper build . With a shaper one can fabricate bolt action
receivers . And a lot of other neat stuff . Like falling blocks ...

Gonna be making your own .50 cal Sharps, big guy? g

A few months ago I scored a bunch of .45/70 cases ... I have .454 bullet
molds . I'll need a barrel and a chambering reamer . Did you know that it's
possible to convert a sidelock percussion arm to use modern boxer primers ?

--
Snag