Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Tire weight alloy

wrote:
On Wednesday, February 4, 2015 at 3:08:25 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:
Anybody know what they're made of ?
--
Snag

There is at least two types. One a lead alloy and the other zinc.

I just went to the tire shop to dig through the wheel weight bucket. The
plan was to just grab some for casting a lead hammer for a nice wood
handle I got. I had some battery terminals saved up as well for this.

Anyways, there seemed to all sorts of junk in the bucket that clearly
wasn't lead.

Some weights were clearly marked "Zn" while there were some that were
clearly lead, some that felt like lead but didn't look like it. It seems
they have pained or coated lead weights now too. There were some types of
plastic weights too, not sure what was inside them. I left those.

I had to sort the haul at home. A scribe confirmed the obviously lead ones
were probably lead. Lineman pliers easily sink right though those.

The dense lead-ish ones also cut easily, but had a coating of paint or
metal. Not really sure what it is. They felt too hard to be lead with a
scribe.

A few zinc ones slipped into my bag, and those are hard and do not cut at
all.

I'll have to melt the stuff down to separate the steel clips and other
crap, which should float to the top.