Old April 10th 12, 06:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Old Coats Tire Man manual tire changer

I was given a 60's vintage Coats Tireman 3 star manual tire changer.
It's in working order, except the tire iron, or mount/demount bar is
missing. It has a hand operated upper and lower bead breaker. I ran
across another somewhat older unit, probably from the 50's, that has a
bar about 4' long, one end is sort of spoon shaped and the other, I
guess the mounting end, has two ~3" wheels and a 3/8" diameter roller
to kinda skate the tire on I guess.

It looks like I could make a copy of the demount/mount bar pretty
easily, but I'm not sure if part of the bar is supposed to go through
the square hole in the swivel at the top of the center post. The
older machine I saw, as well as the Coat's current model 310 manual
changer don't have this feature.

I called Coats and they were no help. A replacement bar for the new
manual changer is $180, so I don't think that's in the cards, and I
think I want to cover the ends with UHMW sleeves so I can use it on
some of my aluminum rims.

When I used to race my GT2 car in the late 90's the Goodyear and
Hoosier tire trucks were still using manual machines at the track and
the tire guys could change low profile radial slick in a couple of
minutes...with some experience of course.

Anyone here ever use a similar machine?

Old April 10th 12, 03:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 9 Apr 2012 22:51:50 -0700 (PDT), oldjag
wrote:

I was given a 60's vintage Coats Tireman 3 star manual tire changer.
It's in working order, except the tire iron, or mount/demount bar is
missing. It has a hand operated upper and lower bead breaker. I ran
across another somewhat older unit, probably from the 50's, that has a
bar about 4' long, one end is sort of spoon shaped and the other, I
guess the mounting end, has two ~3" wheels and a 3/8" diameter roller
to kinda skate the tire on I guess.

It looks like I could make a copy of the demount/mount bar pretty
easily, but I'm not sure if part of the bar is supposed to go through
the square hole in the swivel at the top of the center post. The
older machine I saw, as well as the Coat's current model 310 manual
changer don't have this feature.

If it didn't go through there, where would the tire iron ride during
dismount/remount? If on the threads, avoid doing that and use the
square hole.

I called Coats and they were no help. A replacement bar for the new
manual changer is $180, so I don't think that's in the cards, and I
think I want to cover the ends with UHMW sleeves so I can use it on
some of my aluminum rims.

When I used to race my GT2 car in the late 90's the Goodyear and
Hoosier tire trucks were still using manual machines at the track and
the tire guys could change low profile radial slick in a couple of
minutes...with some experience of course.

Anyone here ever use a similar machine?

Newp. I had the pneumatic Coats machines at two different shops I
worked in. They had slots in the bar which fit onto the rectangular
tab on the tip of the center post, which rotated to remove the tire.

--
Resolve to be thyself: and know, that he who finds himself, loses his misery.
-- Matthew Arnold
Old April 11th 12, 03:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry, on the new unit Coats sells:

http://www.ammcoats.com/coats-manual...nger-model-310

the bar just bears against the side of the center post...the threads
are very course acme, and above that no threads, just a solid bar. In
any case the rectangular hole in the top swivel of my unit is about
1/2" wide x about 2" high...kinda small for a substantial bar to go
through. Maybe the bar had a spigot on one side that fit in the hole
but I'm just guessing.
Old April 11th 12, 03:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 10 Apr 2012 19:33:34 -0700 (PDT), oldjag
wrote:

Larry, on the new unit Coats sells:

http://www.ammcoats.com/coats-manual...nger-model-310

the bar just bears against the side of the center post...the threads
are very course acme, and above that no threads, just a solid bar. In
any case the rectangular hole in the top swivel of my unit is about
1/2" wide x about 2" high...kinda small for a substantial bar to go
through. Maybe the bar had a spigot on one side that fit in the hole
but I'm just guessing.

I have no idea. I can honestly say that I don't miss changing rims
and balancing tires for the body shop, though. Or replacing bashed
dashboards. I had fun winding new wiring harnesses when we couldn't
get replacements, though. Usually sub-harnesses.

--
One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life: That word is love.
-- Sophocles
Old February 24th 16, 11:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have a complete working version of this machine with all tools including separate bead breaker and bead expanders.

Old February 25th 16, 05:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 25-Feb-16 7:21 AM, wrote:
I have a complete working version of this machine with all tools including separate bead breaker and bead expanders.

consider opening a tyre repair shop?
Old February 25th 16, 09:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 25 Feb 2016 13:01:43 +0800, DAB wrote:

On 25-Feb-16 7:21 AM, wrote:
I have a complete working version of this machine with all tools including separate bead breaker and bead expanders.

consider opening a tyre repair shop?

They were a decent machine - I changed hundreds (mabee thousands) of
tires with one but I wouldn't want to use it on today's allow rims.
Old February 27th 16, 04:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 24 Feb 2016 15:21:20 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

I have a complete working version of this machine with all tools including separate bead breaker and bead expanders.

Congratulations! They are good machines!!!