Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Old Coats Tire Man manual tire changer

I was given a 60's vintage Coats Tireman 3 star manual tire changer.
It's in working order, except the tire iron, or mount/demount bar is
missing. It has a hand operated upper and lower bead breaker. I ran
across another somewhat older unit, probably from the 50's, that has a
bar about 4' long, one end is sort of spoon shaped and the other, I
guess the mounting end, has two ~3" wheels and a 3/8" diameter roller
to kinda skate the tire on I guess.

It looks like I could make a copy of the demount/mount bar pretty
easily, but I'm not sure if part of the bar is supposed to go through
the square hole in the swivel at the top of the center post. The
older machine I saw, as well as the Coat's current model 310 manual
changer don't have this feature.

I called Coats and they were no help. A replacement bar for the new
manual changer is $180, so I don't think that's in the cards, and I
think I want to cover the ends with UHMW sleeves so I can use it on
some of my aluminum rims.

When I used to race my GT2 car in the late 90's the Goodyear and
Hoosier tire trucks were still using manual machines at the track and
the tire guys could change low profile radial slick in a couple of
minutes...with some experience of course.

Anyone here ever use a similar machine?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 9 Apr 2012 22:51:50 -0700 (PDT), oldjag
wrote:

I was given a 60's vintage Coats Tireman 3 star manual tire changer.
It's in working order, except the tire iron, or mount/demount bar is
missing. It has a hand operated upper and lower bead breaker. I ran
across another somewhat older unit, probably from the 50's, that has a
bar about 4' long, one end is sort of spoon shaped and the other, I
guess the mounting end, has two ~3" wheels and a 3/8" diameter roller
to kinda skate the tire on I guess.

It looks like I could make a copy of the demount/mount bar pretty
easily, but I'm not sure if part of the bar is supposed to go through
the square hole in the swivel at the top of the center post. The
older machine I saw, as well as the Coat's current model 310 manual
changer don't have this feature.

If it didn't go through there, where would the tire iron ride during
dismount/remount? If on the threads, avoid doing that and use the
square hole.

I called Coats and they were no help. A replacement bar for the new
manual changer is $180, so I don't think that's in the cards, and I
think I want to cover the ends with UHMW sleeves so I can use it on
some of my aluminum rims.

When I used to race my GT2 car in the late 90's the Goodyear and
Hoosier tire trucks were still using manual machines at the track and
the tire guys could change low profile radial slick in a couple of
minutes...with some experience of course.

Anyone here ever use a similar machine?

Newp. I had the pneumatic Coats machines at two different shops I
worked in. They had slots in the bar which fit onto the rectangular
tab on the tip of the center post, which rotated to remove the tire.

--
Resolve to be thyself: and know, that he who finds himself, loses his misery.
-- Matthew Arnold
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry, on the new unit Coats sells:

http://www.ammcoats.com/coats-manual...nger-model-310

the bar just bears against the side of the center post...the threads
are very course acme, and above that no threads, just a solid bar. In
any case the rectangular hole in the top swivel of my unit is about
1/2" wide x about 2" high...kinda small for a substantial bar to go
through. Maybe the bar had a spigot on one side that fit in the hole
but I'm just guessing.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 10 Apr 2012 19:33:34 -0700 (PDT), oldjag
wrote:

Larry, on the new unit Coats sells:

http://www.ammcoats.com/coats-manual...nger-model-310

the bar just bears against the side of the center post...the threads
are very course acme, and above that no threads, just a solid bar. In
any case the rectangular hole in the top swivel of my unit is about
1/2" wide x about 2" high...kinda small for a substantial bar to go
through. Maybe the bar had a spigot on one side that fit in the hole
but I'm just guessing.

I have no idea. I can honestly say that I don't miss changing rims
and balancing tires for the body shop, though. Or replacing bashed
dashboards. I had fun winding new wiring harnesses when we couldn't
get replacements, though. Usually sub-harnesses.

--
One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life: That word is love.
-- Sophocles
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have a complete working version of this machine with all tools including separate bead breaker and bead expanders.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 25-Feb-16 7:21 AM, wrote:
I have a complete working version of this machine with all tools including separate bead breaker and bead expanders.

consider opening a tyre repair shop?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 24 Feb 2016 15:21:20 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

I have a complete working version of this machine with all tools including separate bead breaker and bead expanders.

Congratulations! They are good machines!!!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Coat Model 3 star tire changer

I have a model 3 star tire changer that I'm trying to figure out how to modify to work on 13" and 17" drop center wheels. Im thinking about cutting the rim off of the main platform that the tires sets on, reducing the diameter by 1.5", then welding the rim back on. Anybody ever modify this model of tire changes to make it work for the newer wheels?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 2 Jun 2016 04:27:25 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

[...]

I had a version waaaaaay back. But it came from a junkyard, and I
never knew if any of the included bars were original, or if I was
using them as intended. It looked like this.
http://motoheadmall.com/images/mamot...64_500x375.jpg

I built a manual changer for motorcycle tires, and used images from
this site as a model for the demount bar end.
http://www.nomartirechanger.com/ I bought a cheap big screwdriver
with a plastic handle and a through shaft. Lathe turned the profile
and to fit inside a piece of pipe. Carved a mount end of my own design
from a block of nylon or something that I guessed was originally a
bumper from a loading dock. Making a bar along those lines would
probably be easier and better for you than trying to duplicate the
original styles which won't be much good on alloy wheels.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life: That word
is love.
-- Sophocles

Sophocles is three or four hundred years ago BC, cave man thinking, right? Cave mannish thoughts mean they aren't modern. A lot like most big restaurant and hospitality chains seem to think that the favorite foods don't include mango, tamarind, guava or papaya. For some reason.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

replying to reineggerframe, Jeffrey Bradley wrote:
Could you send me a few pictures of all the parts, just got one. I can fab up
some of the missing stuff if I see what they look like

--
posted from
http://www.polytechforum.com/metalwo...er-541428-.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

From that time, only a few of the documented plays of Aeschylus, Sophocles and Euripedes still exist and they quoted from each other regularly. Generally, the idea is that since there were so few other documents describing Athens then, they carry more authority.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 05 Jun 2016 04:18:02 +0000, Jeffrey Bradley
wrote:

replying to reineggerframe, Jeffrey Bradley wrote:
Could you send me a few pictures of all the parts, just got one. I can fab up
some of the missing stuff if I see what they look like

$68.19 changer bar on Amazon.com. Maybe it'll fit.
http://tinyurl.com/zr9yorp

I changed a few on an antique 4070 Coats back in the '80s.

--
Energy and persistence alter all things.
--Benjamin Franklin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

replying to reineggerframe, Richard Bow wrote:
still got tire changer?

--
for full context, visit https://www.polytechforum.com/metalw...er-541428-.htm