Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Tire weight alloy

Gunner Asch wrote:
On Wed, 4 Feb 2015 14:08:22 -0600, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Anybody know what they're made of ? I need to cast some balls for a
ball mill , and have a choice of pure lead or tire weight material .
I see sellers on ebay that have 10% antimony/90 lead for this use ,
others have pure lead . Still others have ceramic balls , but I'm
not sure those have enough weight for a small ball mill . The one
thing all have in common is that they're around a half inch diameter
. I figger the .490 ball mold for my muzzleloader will work just
fine .

Wheel weights are about..not exactly..but close to "#2 Alloy" They
are pretty hard for muzzle loaders, but they will...will work. They
may tend to cast a smidge small, sometimes...but the patch will make
up the difference.

A pure lead .50 ball will weigh about 177 grs (.490) while a wheel
weight ball may be around 165-170.

Not a hell of a lot of difference. Just dont mix and match..keep your
ww balls seperate from your pure lead balls.

Patching and lube differences are the bigger challenges when shooting
wheelweight balls

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthr...wheel_weight_a

etc etc

Gunner

The wheel weights were intended for the .30 cal modern rifles . I have
enough pure lead for quite a few balls for the BP guns .
But this next run will be for a ball mill .
--
Snag