Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Starret Bandsaw Blade Life Expectancy

On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 14:25:07 -0700 (PDT), Jonathan Banquer
wrote:

On Apr 22, 1:53*pm, "PrecisionmachinisT"
wrote:
"jon_banquer" wrote in ...
the reality of what iggy's problem is

It's not a "problem" for iggy....

He's just acting stupid, (and cleverly so) in order to profit from all the gullible folks who are apparently eager to waste their own time spoon-feeding him with information that he could easily figure out on his own if he were so inclined.

-easy to feel sorry for someone in a wheelchair; only slightly less than for someone who posts on usenet using the nym "ignoramus", if you catch my drift...

The problem IMO is when someone is always provided with the "easy answer", their reasoning, problem solving, and decision making skills generally suffer substantially as a result.

Count on Ed Huntress totally ignoring what you posted just like he
ignores the facts about what the Pimple and KiddingNoOne are.

There is most definitely a reason Ed won't do the small amount of
research need to confirm facts. The facts would blow the nonsense and
bull**** Ed frequently posts to smithereens. Ed honed his craft of
ignoring and not wanting to know the real truth writing for
advertising based magazines as well as writing ad copy over many
years. You always pay a price for selling out. How Ed thinks and
operates shows just how badly selling out for years and years has
effected him.

Pfffhhhht!

Go **** in your hat. How's that for a small amount of research?

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 12:42:56 -0500, Ignoramus12350
wrote:

I have a bandsaw with a 1 inch Starrett blade. I typically cut thick
pieces, like 4-8 inch rounds. Mostly mild steel, like 4140, 8620 etc.

When cutting, I have plentiful coolant, meaning that the blade is
soaked with coolant just when entering the cut.

Under these conditions, how long can I expect the blade to last. Say,
how many buckets of chips can I expect to make with one blade? I
already made a couple buckets with one blade and it seems fine so far.

Cutting aluminum, or cutting D-2?

How high is up?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 13:54:02 -0400, "Existential Angst"
wrote:

"Ignoramus12350" wrote in message
I have a bandsaw with a 1 inch Starrett blade. I typically cut thick
pieces, like 4-8 inch rounds. Mostly mild steel, like 4140, 8620 etc.

When cutting, I have plentiful coolant, meaning that the blade is
soaked with coolant just when entering the cut.

Under these conditions, how long can I expect the blade to last. Say,
how many buckets of chips can I expect to make with one blade? I
already made a couple buckets with one blade and it seems fine so far.

Starrett 1/2" blades suck. Starrett the company sucks.
Many other manufacturers of blades -- DoAll, Lenox, many others. Lenox
bimetal blades supposedly rool.
Proly some quantitated reviews around.

Iffin yer using a Kalamazoo-type cutoff saw, they are supposed to have a
chip wheel/wire brush. Allows tighter guide-wheel tolerance, for
straighter/better cuts.
One of those brushes/wipers after AND before the blade guide rollers is
proly not a bad idea, either. Or even blast air.

Lenox has worked for me for years.

Starrett sucks indeed.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

Your wearing the hat I **** in before I gave it to you. You will
proudly keep wearing it while attempting to be a smarmy.

Please enjoy my hat and continue to wear it proudly.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 13:53:35 -0700, "PrecisionmachinisT"
wrote:

"jon_banquer" wrote in message ...

the reality of what iggy's problem is

It's not a "problem" for iggy....

He's just acting stupid, (and cleverly so) in order to profit from all the gullible folks who are apparently eager to waste their own time spoon-feeding him with information that he could easily figure out on his own if he were so inclined.

-easy to feel sorry for someone in a wheelchair; only slightly less than for someone who posts on usenet using the nym "ignoramus", if you catch my drift...

The problem IMO is when someone is always provided with the "easy answer", their reasoning, problem solving, and decision making skills generally suffer substantially as a result.

One has to assume that, having condemned Iggy for asking questions,
that you know everything.

I'm reminded of the old heads, you know, the guys that have been at it
for 20 - 30 years, when they get a job that is a bit intricate they
wander around the shop asking other chaps, "if you were doing this how
would you do it", and after having collected a number of ideas they go
ahead and make the piece. The young apprentice boys, on the other
hand, being too embarrassed with their own lack of knowledge to ask
questions frequently have to go back to the boss and admit that they
can't figure out how to make the part.

You sound much like the latter description.

--
Cheers,

John B.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

They're calling you from your Group, Jon. Run! Run!

Ditch the hat first, though.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

You love wearing the hat I gave you.

You refuse to take it off.

You're proud to wear it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

The only people that would assume any of the bull**** you wrote above
are brain dead idiots like yourself.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"jon_banquer" wrote in message ....

the reality of what iggy's problem is

It's not a "problem" for iggy....

He's just acting stupid, (and cleverly so) in order to profit from all the gullible folks who are apparently eager to waste their own time spoon-feeding him with information that he could easily figure out on his own if he were so inclined.

-easy to feel sorry for someone in a wheelchair; only slightly less than for someone who posts on usenet using the nym "ignoramus", if you catch my drift...

The problem IMO is when someone is always provided with the "easy answer", their reasoning, problem solving, and decision making skills generally suffer substantially as a result.

One has to assume that, having condemned Iggy for asking questions,
that you know everything.

That would be wrong.

It's just that sking here is my last resort, and it's a pretty rare when I can't find the information I'm looking for by researching it myself, especially where it concerns metalworking. After all, I've made a living doing metalworking my entire life and I'm nearing 56 at present.

I'm reminded of the old heads, you know, the guys that have been at it
for 20 - 30 years, when they get a job that is a bit intricate they
wander around the shop asking other chaps, "if you were doing this how

I've been self employed for the past 15 years.

And as usual, you sound like a ****ing idiot.

--
Cheers,

John B.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-04-22, Ed Huntress wrote:

wrote:
I have a bandsaw with a 1 inch Starrett blade. I typically cut thick
pieces, like 4-8 inch rounds. Mostly mild steel, like 4140, 8620 etc.

When cutting, I have plentiful coolant, meaning that the blade is
soaked with coolant just when entering the cut.

Under these conditions, how long can I expect the blade to last. Say,
how many buckets of chips can I expect to make with one blade? I
already made a couple buckets with one blade and it seems fine so far.

Didn't you post this a while back, Iggy? I can't imagine how anyone
could give you a close answer.

First, 4140 and 8620 are not mild steel. They're alloys.

Second, it depends. g Keep up the coolant, though.

I assume you're using a regular bimetal Starrett blade, right? Or a
skip-tooth, or a Variable-Tooth-Height blade?

iggy did indeed post this awhile back. iggy is still looking for the
easy way out and the easy answers. Nothing new here. That you haven't
figured out that this is iggy's style is just another sign of how
little you understand about what the problem with iggy is.

I know Iggy. I've been to his house at different times. He doesn't
have a problem, Jon. YOU have a problem. With your personality. Or
several of your personalities.

I would say, each of his multiple personalities has multiple
problems.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-04-22, Ed Huntress wrote:
WTF are you talking about? Iggy is a nice guy with a lot of guts and a
willingness to ask questions. He doesn't have "issues." He has a
personality, and I find it to be a quite pleasant one.

He's turned his interest into a business, at considerable risk. It's
doing better, I'll bet, than most startups at this stage in their
history.

You, on the other hand, come into a recreational metalworking group
and berate people for not knowing all the answers. What do you think a
recreational group is for? That it's a place for you to show off all
of your professional knowledge and to make fun of people who are
amateurs?

This is supposed to be a group for amateurs. It's nice that some pros
help out with the questions sometimes. It's NOT nice when you berate
them for things that you think they should have known. We're here as
hobbyists.

Thanks. Also, it is a lot better to ask a question about making
buckets of chips, even a dumb one, as opposed to waging personal
vendettas.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-04-22, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Ignoramus12350 fired this volley in
:

When I make ships by the bucket, new problems and questions appear, I
had to redo the coolant nozzle so that the blade stays wetter, etc.

Yup... but despite EA's inane protestations, the Starrett bi-metal blades
are good. I go roughly a year between replacing them on the 8x24
Kalamazo. I don't make as much steel chips as you do, but still cut a
lot of stock.

I figure - at some point - time is as important as blade cost. I'm not
one to shirk buying a new cutting tool if one wears out; I HATE dull
_anything_. But after long enough, you figure a blade must be fatigued
from all the bending, that being just as much or more destructive than
the wear from actual cutting. My old blades break (usually) long before
they dull.

I find it fascinating how a blade that weighs, maybe, a pound, can
make multiple buckets of chips. To me, frankly, it feels like a
mystery. It turns out that there is a lot of ilttle secrets to
bandsawing.

Someone showed me a cool trick yesterday, in order to cut bundles of
rods, he would weld their backs together with tacks. I thought that it
was rather clever.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

Maybe there's a therapist who offers bulk discounts.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

The problem is that his multiple persnoalities need different
therapists.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 22, 6:36*pm, Ignoramus12350 ignoramus12...@NOSPAM.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 22, 6:39*pm, Ignoramus12350 ignoramus12...@NOSPAM.
On 2013-04-22, Ed Huntress wrote:

[...]

Yes, iggy everyone has a personal vendetta against you that calls out
on your frequent bull****. In fact, it's an organized conspiracy
against you and I'm the leader of it. We have weekly meetings where we
devise diabolic plots while watching Boris and Natasha for
inspiration.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 22, 6:50*pm, Ignoramus12350 ignoramus12...@NOSPAM.
On 2013-04-22, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Ignoramus12350 fired this volley in
m:

[...]

Most of those bandsaw secrets will take iggy years and years to learn
the hard way since iggy only surrounds himself with those that don't
call him out on his bull****. Taking advantage of training and good
video instruction is beneath, iggy.

You pay a steep price for needing to have your ass kissed. On the
bright side, the people selling iggy bandsaw blades are already
looking to line up a source for a truly unique and expensive "free"
plate of only the best foods for next holiday season.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

I'm sure there are therapists with multiple personalities as well.
Hopefully all of them are licensed.
--
EA

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-04-22, Ed Huntress wrote:

[...]

Jon, there are only about four people here who give Iggy a hard time.
And three of them are you.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-04-22, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

[...]

Nothing will top the video about growing vegetables in your bathroom.
That's going to be your signature identification, Jon. d8-)

You pay a steep price for needing to have your ass kissed. On the
bright side, the people selling iggy bandsaw blades are already
looking to line up a source for a truly unique and expensive "free"
plate of only the best foods for next holiday season.

I'll bet your table is going to be something to behold -- Eight
pitchers of vegetable juice and a puddle of melted cranberry sauce.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Well, I'm a bit older than you and probably have more experience
(finished apprenticeship in 1950) and I still run into things that I
ask questions about.

But I really can't understand that someone asks a question and you are
too stingy to tell the guy the answer. Clutch the information to your
bosom and gloat, I guess. Chanting your mantra, "I know something that
you don't know".

Infantile!

--
Cheers,

John B.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 20:39:40 -0500, Ignoramus12350
wrote:

On 2013-04-22, Ed Huntress wrote:
[...]

Iggy, some people ask questions and learn, others keep silent and
remain stupid.
--
Cheers,

John B.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 15:19:46 -0400, Ed Huntress
wrote:

On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 11:46:44 -0700 (PDT), jon_banquer
wrote:

On Apr 22, 11:35*am, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 11:07:57 -0700 (PDT), jon_banquer

I know Iggy. I've been to his house at different times. He doesn't
have a problem, Jon. YOU have a problem. With your personality. Or
several of your personalities.

--
Ed Huntress

Ed, you have so many of your own issues that you can't understand the
problem iggy has with his approach.

Actually, Jon, *you're* my biggest issue lately. When you go away,
I'll brighten right up.

WHERE could he go? This is his life! As far as anyone can tell, his
only other activity is abusing fruit.

By no means am I the only one that clearly see's that iggy has a
serious problem with his approach. You know very well that many others
have called iggy out on these continuing issues with iggy. As per
usual, you wish to ignore the problems that iggy has with his lame
approach and pretend they aren't issues that other besides myself have
noticed. This is very similar to how you ignore the problems of the
Pimple or KiddingNoOne that others post about.

WTF are you talking about? Iggy is a nice guy with a lot of guts and a
willingness to ask questions. He doesn't have "issues." He has a
personality, and I find it to be a quite pleasant one.

He's turned his interest into a business, at considerable risk. It's
doing better, I'll bet, than most startups at this stage in their
history.

No doubt about it. He's willing to work and stick his neck out and he
has the success to show for it. Let's see... Ig is waltzing with iron,
has a home and a shop and a family and good prospects. Bonkers is
pounding his keyboard 23 hours a days and using the remaining hour to
liquefy fruit and pretend it's a magic elixer. Which one to take
seriously...

You, on the other hand, come into a recreational metalworking group
and berate people for not knowing all the answers. What do you think a
recreational group is for? That it's a place for you to show off all
of your professional knowledge and to make fun of people who are
amateurs?

Ig probably corrected Bonkers in some minor way and the rest is
history. Bonkers is now DRIVEN to respond to every Ig post with some
insane criticism... which is somehow supposed to improve his chances
of convincing people to read his blog? I wonder if Bonkers posts links
on his blog to his Usenet nonsense. If not, then why not? LOL

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
On 2013-04-22, Ed Huntress wrote:
[...]

Some people are so stupid that they refuse to accept that the most
important skill a machinist can learn is how to think for themselves.
Clearly you are such a person.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Apr 22, 11:35*am, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 11:07:57 -0700 (PDT), jon_banquer

I know Iggy. I've been to his house at different times. He doesn't
have a problem, Jon. YOU have a problem. With your personality. Or
several of your personalities.

--
Ed Huntress

Ed, you have so many of your own issues that you can't understand the
problem iggy has with his approach.

Actually, Jon, *you're* my biggest issue lately. When you go away,
I'll brighten right up.

WHERE could he go? This is his life! As far as anyone can tell, his
only other activity is abusing fruit.

His blog...er, I mean his "group." In fact, with all the success and
the accolades he's getting there, I can hardly figure what he's doing
on RCM. There are only a couple of CAD/CAM people here who are into
advanced stuff. Over there, he has tens of thousands just begging for
his words of wisdom.

The only thing I can figure is that the candles are burning out on
Jon's LinkedIn shrine, and he's here to borrow some.

[...]

A tip: Don't ever criticize pushrod engines or Ford GT40s. Those
subjects are hotwired straight to his brain stem, and the convulsions
will flatten trees for a hundred yards in all directions.

Bonkers is now DRIVEN to respond to every Ig post with some
insane criticism... which is somehow supposed to improve his chances
of convincing people to read his blog?

He's after the killjoy and malcontent market.

I wonder if Bonkers posts links
on his blog to his Usenet nonsense. If not, then why not? LOL

He's afraid of the competition.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 23, 7:16*am, whoyakidding's ghost
wrote:

"using the remaining hour to liquefy fruit and pretend it's a magic
elixer."

I juice almost no fruit. I juice vegetables.The only time I juice
fruit is to sweeten vegetable juice.

Your reading comprehension level is exceptionally low, KiddingNoOne.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Bonkers is now DRIVEN to respond to every Ig post with some
insane criticism... which is somehow supposed to improve his chances
of convincing people to read his blog?

He's after the killjoy and malcontent market.

He ought to pursue that theme. "Linkedin's #1 home for LEADING
killjoys and malcontents" Seriously, something like that could keep
him so busy he wouldn't have the need or the time to pretend he is or
ever was successful at anything.

I wonder if Bonkers posts links
on his blog to his Usenet nonsense. If not, then why not? LOL

He's afraid of the competition.

Here, he finds ridiculous excuses to endlessly brag that he's a
superhero in blogland. Surely he's at least as proud of his history of
habitual Usenet stalking, and should be telling his blog readers all
about it every day. It's his DUTY to inform them that he's a Usenet
crimefighter! No matter how often they say they aren't interested, he
knows better. He should make THEIR best interest his priority and
refuse to take no for an answer, just like he does here.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"J.B.Slocomb" wrote in message
On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 18:02:34 -0700, "PrecisionmachinisT"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

I loathe the lazy.

stingy to tell the guy the answer. Clutch the information to your

Actually, I'm quite free with "the information"--especially when I feel
someone is deserved..

But when someone repeatedly demonstrates an unwillingness to research a
topic on their own, I tire of spelling it out.

bosom and gloat, I guess. Chanting your mantra, "I know something that
you don't know".

Hogwash...how many hours a day do YOU suppose I should spend answering silly
questions ?

The answer to "how long should a bandsaw blade last" is "it depends",
followed by about 20 minutes worth of spoon feeding...

Let him figure it out, maybe he'll learn something, although I seriously
doubt it.

--he doesn't even know for sure what material he is cutting....

Infantile!

**** off.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 04/22/2013 08:36 PM, Ignoramus12350 wrote:

I would say, each of his multiple personalities has multiple
problems.

Now you know why the asshat is in so many killfiles.

technomaNge
--
Including mine.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 23 Apr 2013 08:46:18 -0700, "PrecisionmachinisT"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

I see... If the guy bows and scrapes and pleads with you for a drop of
your precious knowledge you might possible reward him with a tiny
scrap information.

But when someone repeatedly demonstrates an unwillingness to research a
topic on their own, I tire of spelling it out.

bosom and gloat, I guess. Chanting your mantra, "I know something that
you don't know".

Hogwash...how many hours a day do YOU suppose I should spend answering silly
questions ?

Given your stated practice of clutching whatever information you may
possess to your bosom and relating your experiences only to those
chosen few acolytes who demonstrate sufficient reverence, I doubt that
you spent much time at all, helping people.

The answer to "how long should a bandsaw blade last" is "it depends",
followed by about 20 minutes worth of spoon feeding...

Let him figure it out, maybe he'll learn something, although I seriously
doubt it.

Well, since it is apparent that you don't know the answer one has to
wonder why you decided to answer at all?

--he doesn't even know for sure what material he is cutting....

Infantile!

**** off.

As I said above, Infantile.

--
Cheers,

John B.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 23, 6:17*pm, technomaNge wrote:
On 04/22/2013 08:36 PM, Ignoramus12350 wrote:

I would say, each of his multiple personalities has multiple
problems.

Now you know why the asshat is in so many killfiles.

technomaNge
--
Including mine.

Kill files are for pussies like you.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"J.B.Slocomb" wrote in message
On Tue, 23 Apr 2013 08:46:18 -0700, "PrecisionmachinisT"
wrote:

"J.B.Slocomb" wrote in message
. ..
On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 18:02:34 -0700, "PrecisionmachinisT"
wrote:

m...
wrote:

[...]

No you don't see.

your precious knowledge you might possible reward him with a tiny
scrap information.

I freely give whatever knowlwedge I might have up until the point where
someone has proven themselves NOT worthy.

[...]

**** yourself, asshole.

plonk

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 23 Apr 2013 21:07:24 -0700, "PrecisionmachinisT"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"J.B.Slocomb" wrote in message
On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 18:02:34 -0700, "PrecisionmachinisT"
wrote:

om...
wrote:

[...]

Exactly what I said. He genuflects and holds his out in supplication
and you reward him with a morsel.... the rest of the world can get
****ed.

You are such a nice person.

--
Cheers,

John B.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 24, 4:48*am, J.B.Slocomb wrote:
On Tue, 23 Apr 2013 21:07:24 -0700, "PrecisionmachinisT"

wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"J.B.Slocomb" wrote in message
On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 18:02:34 -0700, "PrecisionmachinisT"
wrote:

om...
wrote:

[...]

He's a very nice person and very helpful.

I've found you to be neither.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 24 Apr 2013 10:02:30 -0700 (PDT), jon_banquer
wrote:

On Apr 24, 4:48*am, J.B.Slocomb wrote:
On Tue, 23 Apr 2013 21:07:24 -0700, "PrecisionmachinisT"

wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"J.B.Slocomb" wrote in message
On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 18:02:34 -0700, "PrecisionmachinisT"
wrote:

om...
wrote:

[...]

Maybe he doesn't drink enough rutabaga juice, and so he still has a
normal personality.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
On Apr 24, 4:48*am, J.B.Slocomb wrote:
On Tue, 23 Apr 2013 21:07:24 -0700, "PrecisionmachinisT"

wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"J.B.Slocomb" wrote in message
On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 18:02:34 -0700, "PrecisionmachinisT"
wrote:

om...
wrote:

[...]

Being smarmy doesn't cover up for the fact that Precision Machinist
has clearly explained how iggy operates and why "J.B. Sclocomb" is a
fool. You may think it does but it doesn't.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
On Apr 24, 4:48*am, J.B.Slocomb wrote:
On Tue, 23 Apr 2013 21:07:24 -0700, "PrecisionmachinisT"

wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"J.B.Slocomb" wrote in message
On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 18:02:34 -0700, "PrecisionmachinisT"
wrote:

om...
wrote:

[...]

Pffffhhht. Drink your juice, Jonnie.

--
Ed Huntress

Junior Member

I'm getting lost with this thread. What is the root cause of this discussion ? Sorry
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 24 Apr 2013 20:45:08 +0200, surfside
wrote:

I'm getting lost with this thread. What is the root cause of this
discussion ? Sorry

It was started by Iggy, who wanted to know how long his bandsaw blade
should last.

--
Ed Huntress