Posted to alt.home.repair
JLF JLF is offline

Default GE Dishwasher life expectancy?

Today my almost 15-year old GE Potscrubber 1100 seems to have stopped
working. The motor didn't seem to start. I can faintly hear it trying,
but nothing happens. The detergent compartment opened and the bottom
seemed to fill half-way with warm water, but nothing beyond that
happened...

Do I need to buy a new one?

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 22, 6:38?pm, Meat Plow wrote:
On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 22:26:27 +0000, JLF wrote:
Today my almost 15-year old GE Potscrubber 1100 seems to have stopped
working. The motor didn't seem to start. I can faintly hear it trying,
but nothing happens. The detergent compartment opened and the bottom
seemed to fill half-way with warm water, but nothing beyond that
happened...

Do I need to buy a new one?

Any suggestions?

Mine would be replace it.

check for debris in pump, replace dont fix at that age its a loser,

clearing a stuck pump is worth it.

some new dishwashers have extra deep baskets, you can find them the
kick panel is very small in height. I just bough a whirpool they are
the only maker to have silverware in the door, saving space in the
main part of the washer. new dishawshers heat the water which is nice

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:

[...]

In my opinion, it is worth spending 30 minutes on. It should take about
5 minutes to unhook and pull it out from under the counter. In the
remaining 25 min, if you can't identify and resolve a problem such as
debris in the pump, a mouse jamming a pulley (don't laugh, I had an
electric car radiator fan jammed by a big honkin' cicada) or similar,
just replace it, they're too cheap to spend any more time on. Go buy
another for the $300 at whatever local place you prefer, spend the 30
min to install it, and forget about it for another 15 years.
Posted to alt.home.repair
JLF JLF is offline

On Sep 22, 4:15 pm, "Pete C." wrote:
" wrote:

[...]

Thanks -- I'll give it a look but also start window shopping.

J.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JLF" wrote in message
ups.com...
Today my almost 15-year old GE Potscrubber 1100 seems to have stopped
working. The motor didn't seem to start. I can faintly hear it trying,
but nothing happens. The detergent compartment opened and the bottom
seemed to fill half-way with warm water, but nothing beyond that
happened...

Do I need to buy a new one?

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

You don't need to, but you may want to. Repairs can cost from $50 to $250
and get you going, but another component may fail in a day, a week, or a
year. At 15, it is beyond normal life expectancy.

As for new models, most anything you buy today will clean as well as the
best of 15 years ago. More money does equal more feature, hopefully longer
life, but not much in the way of cleaner dishes.

Check you local dealer. Most now belong to buyer's co-ops and can sell at
about the same price as the big store and they usually give much better
service.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 15:53:40 -0700, "
wrote:

[...]

My Kenmore dishwasher is 28 years old and it heats the water. I think
it uses the same heater that it would use to dry the pots, if I didn't
just air-dry them.

This was actually a problem when the thing wouldn't drain. I kept
running it through the same part of the cycle, 7 to 10 times, and
didn't realize that the water, the same water, was getting hotter and
hotter and hotter, and eventually it melted a bit one of my two
favorite plastic salad bowls. Another two runs the whole thing
might have been a lump.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 01:07:38 -0000, JLF wrote:

On Sep 22, 4:15 pm, "Pete C." wrote:

In my opinion, it is worth spending 30 minutes on. It should take about
5 minutes to unhook and pull it out from under the counter. In the
remaining 25 min, if you can't identify and resolve a problem such as
debris in the pump, a mouse jamming a pulley (don't laugh, I had an
electric car radiator fan jammed by a big honkin' cicada) or similar,
just replace it, they're too cheap to spend any more time on. Go buy
another for the $300 at whatever local place you prefer, spend the 30
min to install it, and forget about it for another 15 years.

Thanks -- I'll give it a look but also start window shopping.

BTW, I don't think you have the same problem at all, but my drainage
problem was a chicken bone in the vacuum break on the sink. Assuming
the new dishwasher used a vacuum break too, I probably would have just
connected it to the old one, whose chrome cap looked good as new, and
whose plastic insides looked almost as good as new, and then the new
one wouldn't work either. I hope I'd be smart enough to figure out
that it was one of the 2 or 3 parts I didn't replace.

J.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 22, 9:49 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"JLF" wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

Two other factors to consider is a new one is likely to use less water
than a 15 yr old unit, leading to some energy savings. And new ones
are much quieter. I replaced a 20 yr old one recently with a mid
range model and the diff in noise level is huge. This one sounds
more like a gently water fall. In fact, until you get used to it, it
sounds more like water leaking thant the old high pressure sound.

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"JLF" wrote in message
ups.com...
Today my almost 15-year old GE Potscrubber 1100 seems to have stopped
working. The motor didn't seem to start. I can faintly hear it trying,
but nothing happens. The detergent compartment opened and the bottom
seemed to fill half-way with warm water, but nothing beyond that
happened...

Do I need to buy a new one?

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

8-12 years

For a dishwasher, GE wouldn't be the first choice for a quality machine.

Kitchen Aid or Maytag have a better washing design.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 09:53:48 -0500, kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

"JLF" wrote in message
oups.com...
Today my almost 15-year old GE Potscrubber 1100 seems to have stopped
working. The motor didn't seem to start. I can faintly hear it trying,
but nothing happens. The detergent compartment opened and the bottom
seemed to fill half-way with warm water, but nothing beyond that
happened...

Do I need to buy a new one?

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

8-12 years

For a dishwasher, GE wouldn't be the first choice for a quality machine.

Kitchen Aid or Maytag have a better washing design.

Our JenAire dishwasher has been working flawlessly since 1992. Be
glad to see it breakdown soon so I can get something a little quieter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Phisherman" wrote in message

Kitchen Aid or Maytag have a better washing design.

Our JenAire dishwasher has been working flawlessly since 1992. Be
glad to see it breakdown soon so I can get something a little quieter.

As the mad said, (check who makes JenAire)

Posted to alt.home.repair
JLF JLF is offline

On Sep 23, 8:07 am, Phisherman wrote:
On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 09:53:48 -0500, kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

"JLF" wrote in message
oups.com...
Today my almost 15-year old GEPotscrubber1100 seems to have stopped
working. The motor didn't seem to start. I can faintly hear it trying,
but nothing happens. The detergent compartment opened and the bottom
seemed to fill half-way with warm water, but nothing beyond that
happened...

Do I need to buy a new one?

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

8-12 years

For adishwasher, GE wouldn't be the first choice for a quality machine.

Kitchen Aid or Maytag have a better washing design.

Our JenAiredishwasherhas been working flawlessly since 1992. Be
glad to see it breakdown soon so I can get something a little quieter.

I lived with a JenAire over the summer and the utensil placement drove
me crazy. they basically had to be placed individually in each little
slot. Not for me. Are they supposed to get clean better because of
that configuration? Is it designed for people with maids? I don't have
the patience put them in one by one.

Posted to alt.home.repair
MLD MLD is offline

"JLF" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Sep 23, 8:07 am, Phisherman wrote:
On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 09:53:48 -0500, kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

"JLF" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Yours is in the life expectancy of the machine. I've had 2 GE dishwashers
and got an average of 15-17 yrs out of them. At this point in time the
cost of repair can be up to 1/3 the cost of a new machine. Plus the chance
of more frequent breakdowns has significantly increases. Go new not repair.
MLD

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JLF" wrote in message
I lived with a JenAire over the summer and the utensil placement drove
me crazy. they basically had to be placed individually in each little
slot. Not for me. Are they supposed to get clean better because of
that configuration? Is it designed for people with maids? I don't have
the patience put them in one by one.

I have a similar setup on my Kitchen Aid. Difference is, the slotted lid
can be opened to a plain bin if you choose. When we first got it, I though
it would be a PITA, but in practice, no problem.

If you like all the other features of the machine, you can just cut the
slotted section.