Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default Life expectancy

My 'Lights of America' brand M2426T spiral fluorescent light died this
morning.
An analysis of the failure seems to indicate an open heater as I can hear it
rattling about within the tube.

The bulb was installed on 7-2-05 and died 5-30-07 after daily use in my
bathroom. The switch is an X-10 and there is a parallel incandescent bulb
keep the X-10 happy. The tube has no apparent darkening at the end.

I wonder if Watson has anything further on his homebuilt LED light?

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Lord Garth"

My 'Lights of America' brand M2426T spiral fluorescent light died this
morning.
An analysis of the failure seems to indicate an open heater as I can hear
it
rattling about within the tube.

The bulb was installed on 7-2-05 and died 5-30-07 after daily use in my
bathroom.

** So it lasted just on 23 months or 700 days.

Would have been on for 1.5 hours per day, at most.

Shows how short the life of a CFL is when you cycle them too often -
nothing like the 6000+ hours claimed.

Surprising the moisture in a bathroom did not kill it a lot sooner.

....... Phil

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
Bob Bob is offline

"Phil Allison" wrote in message

"Lord Garth"

My 'Lights of America' brand M2426T spiral fluorescent light died this
morning.
An analysis of the failure seems to indicate an open heater as I can hear
it
rattling about within the tube.

The bulb was installed on 7-2-05 and died 5-30-07 after daily use in my
bathroom.

** So it lasted just on 23 months or 700 days.

Would have been on for 1.5 hours per day, at most.

Shows how short the life of a CFL is when you cycle them too often -
nothing like the 6000+ hours claimed.

Surprising the moisture in a bathroom did not kill it a lot sooner.

...... Phil

I suspect it was the abundance of CH4 gas that caused the problem and not
the moisture.

Bob

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Bob" wrote in message
news

"Phil Allison" wrote in message

"Lord Garth"

My 'Lights of America' brand M2426T spiral fluorescent light died this
morning.
An analysis of the failure seems to indicate an open heater as I can

hear
it rattling about within the tube.

The bulb was installed on 7-2-05 and died 5-30-07 after daily use in my
bathroom.

Surprising the moisture in a bathroom did not kill it a lot sooner.

I suspect it was the abundance of CH4 gas that caused the problem and not
the moisture.

Ha! CH4! Good that it wasn't at an explosive concentration.

The filament was broken...after disassembly, I could see it in the tube end.
Yes, it was a short life, too bad the circuit doesn't ease the heater
current
up over a few seconds.

Alternately, the CFL in my closet has been in service about 7 years now and
another in a room lamp died at just over 5 years. That lamp was noticeably
black
at the base of the spiral and was obviously near failure.

The bathroom CFL is at mirror height and is well below where the steam
collects.
Also, being in a mostly hot climate, cooler showers are the norm.