Posted to alt.home.repair

Default life expectancy of fire extinguisher?

I have a Kidde dry chemical home fire extinguisher. It is at least
10-12 years old. It has a gauge that still reads in the green. Does
this mean it's still safe and can be relied on, or do these things
need to be replaced after awhile no matter what the gauge reads?
Posted to alt.home.repair

If the gauge shows its good I would not worry.

Posted to alt.home.repair
GWB GWB is offline

On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 22:32:04 GMT, HamNCheese
wrote:

I have a Kidde dry chemical home fire extinguisher. It is at least
10-12 years old. It has a gauge that still reads in the green. Does
this mean it's still safe and can be relied on, or do these things
need to be replaced after awhile no matter what the gauge reads?

I don't know, but I wouldn't wanna bet the house on it.
At my business, we are required to have them serviced annually.
If I were you, I'd be glad I never had to use it and pop for a new
one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

actually the dry chem will settle to the bottom and vibration causes it to
settle and get stiff. Turn it over, hit it with a rubber mallet and right it
back to loosen up the chemical. not sure of the size but they are fairly
cheap to buy and yours shud have a date somewhere to tell you if its still
useable
wrote:

I have a Kidde dry chemical home fire extinguisher. It is at least
10-12 years old. It has a gauge that still reads in the green. Does
this mean it's still safe and can be relied on, or do these things
need to be replaced after awhile no matter what the gauge reads?

I don't know, but I wouldn't wanna bet the house on it.
At my business, we are required to have them serviced annually.
If I were you, I'd be glad I never had to use it and pop for a new
one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a Kidde dry chemical home fire extinguisher. It is at least
10-12 years old. It has a gauge that still reads in the green. Does
this mean it's still safe and can be relied on, or do these things
need to be replaced after awhile no matter what the gauge reads?

I don't know, but I wouldn't wanna bet the house on it.
At my business, we are required to have them serviced annually.
If I were you, I'd be glad I never had to use it and pop for a new
one.

THe Kidde Canister extinguishers for home use are usually
not servicable, and are warrentied for between 6 and 12
years old. Yours is due for replacement. You can
use the old one for practice. It's amazing how many
people don't actually know how to WORK a fire extinguisher...

--Goedjn

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a Kidde dry chemical home fire extinguisher. It is at least
10-12 years old. It has a gauge that still reads in the green. Does
this mean it's still safe and can be relied on, or do these things
need to be replaced after awhile no matter what the gauge reads?

I don't know, but I wouldn't wanna bet the house on it.
At my business, we are required to have them serviced annually.
If I were you, I'd be glad I never had to use it and pop for a new
one.

THe Kidde Canister extinguishers for home use are usually
not servicable, and are warrentied for between 6 and 12
years old.

I've just bought a couple. The package says to replace them after 12
years.

Yours is due for replacement. You can
use the old one for practice.

That's what I did with my old one.

It's amazing how many
people don't actually know how to WORK a fire extinguisher...

--Goedjn

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"All your western theologies, the whole mythology of them,
are based on the concept of God as a senile delinquent."
-- Tennessee Williams
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a Kidde dry chemical home fire extinguisher. It is at least
10-12 years old. It has a gauge that still reads in the green. Does
this mean it's still safe and can be relied on, or do these things
need to be replaced after awhile no matter what the gauge reads?

I took a 22-year old fire extinguisher to the local fire department
and they told me it was still good as long as the dial indicator
pointed to the green region. It is a good idea to have one near
every exterior door, one in the garage, and one in each vehicle.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a Kidde dry chemical home fire extinguisher. It is at least
10-12 years old. It has a gauge that still reads in the green. Does
this mean it's still safe and can be relied on, or do these things
need to be replaced after awhile no matter what the gauge reads?

I took a 22-year old fire extinguisher to the local fire department
and they told me it was still good as long as the dial indicator
pointed to the green region. It is a good idea to have one near
every exterior door, one in the garage, and one in each vehicle.

Don't forget the kitchen and laundry.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Phisherman" wrote in message

I took a 22-year old fire extinguisher to the local fire department
and they told me it was still good as long as the dial indicator
pointed to the green region. It is a good idea to have one near
every exterior door, one in the garage, and one in each vehicle.

Seems as thought he seal u nits for home use are exempt from testing or any
time limit. Here are the OSHA rules,

http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owad...ARDS&p_id=9811
The employer shall assure that portable fire extinguishers are subjected
to an annual maintenance check. Stored pressure extinguishers do not require
an internal examination. The employer shall record the annual maintenance
date and retain this record for one year after the last entry or the life of
the shell, whichever is less. The record shall be available to the Assistant
Secretary upon request.
1910.157(e)(4)
The employer shall assure that stored pressure dry chemical extinguishers
that require a 12-year hydrostatic test are emptied and subjected to
applicable maintenance procedures every 6 years. Dry chemical extinguishers
having non-refillable disposable containers are exempt from this
requirement. When recharging or hydrostatic testing is performed, the 6-year
requirement begins from that date.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HamNCheese wrote:
I have a Kidde dry chemical home fire extinguisher. It is at least
10-12 years old. It has a gauge that still reads in the green. Does
this mean it's still safe and can be relied on, or do these things
need to be replaced after awhile no matter what the gauge reads?

National Fire Protection Association Standard 10 Standard for Portable
Fire Extinguishers requires that refillable dry chemical extinguishers
be torn down every six years to check the condition of the interior of
the extinguisher as well as the condition of the chemical itself. If
the shell has been subjected to excessive heating the chemical agent can
be damaged. The cylinder itself must be tested hydrostatically every
twelve years to assure it is still capable of withstanding refilling.
In my younger days I worked as a fire extinguisher technician and I can
assure you that the tear downs are a good idea. In any large batch of
extinguishers we always found a few that had problems that would not
have been spotted without a tear down.
--
Tom Horne

Well we aren't no thin blue heroes and yet we aren't no blackguards to.
We're just working men and woman most remarkable like you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a Kidde dry chemical home fire extinguisher. It is at least
10-12 years old. It has a gauge that still reads in the green. Does
this mean it's still safe and can be relied on, or do these things
need to be replaced after awhile no matter what the gauge reads?

What I was told, not an expert:

Unlike other compressed gas cylinders, they aren't subjected to the
stresses of refilling, after emptying. So if the cylinder shows zero
signs of corrosion, the port is clear of any foriegn, and the guages
says the system is ready, then the fire extingisher should be OK.

Now IMHO, I would talk to your local fire company. They might suggest
something else.

Good luck,

tom @ www.WorkAtHomePlans.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
GWB GWB is offline

wrote:

I have a Kidde dry chemical home fire extinguisher. It is at least
10-12 years old. It has a gauge that still reads in the green. Does
this mean it's still safe and can be relied on, or do these things
need to be replaced after awhile no matter what the gauge reads?

What I was told, not an expert:

Unlike other compressed gas cylinders, they aren't subjected to the
stresses of refilling, after emptying. So if the cylinder shows zero
signs of corrosion, the port is clear of any foriegn, and the guages
says the system is ready, then the fire extingisher should be OK.

Now IMHO, I would talk to your local fire company. They might suggest
something else.

Good luck,

tom @ www.WorkAtHomePlans.com

"should be OK."

Keep it for a back-up and buy a new one.