Posted to alt.home.repair
bob kater bob kater is offline

Default life expectancy of fire extinguisher?

actually the dry chem will settle to the bottom and vibration causes it to
settle and get stiff. Turn it over, hit it with a rubber mallet and right it
back to loosen up the chemical. not sure of the size but they are fairly
cheap to buy and yours shud have a date somewhere to tell you if its still
useable
"GWB" wrote in message
On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 22:32:04 GMT, HamNCheese
wrote:

I have a Kidde dry chemical home fire extinguisher. It is at least
10-12 years old. It has a gauge that still reads in the green. Does
this mean it's still safe and can be relied on, or do these things
need to be replaced after awhile no matter what the gauge reads?

I don't know, but I wouldn't wanna bet the house on it.
At my business, we are required to have them serviced annually.
If I were you, I'd be glad I never had to use it and pop for a new
one.