Posted to alt.home.repair
Phisherman Phisherman is offline

Default life expectancy of fire extinguisher?

On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 22:32:04 GMT, HamNCheese
wrote:

I have a Kidde dry chemical home fire extinguisher. It is at least
10-12 years old. It has a gauge that still reads in the green. Does
this mean it's still safe and can be relied on, or do these things
need to be replaced after awhile no matter what the gauge reads?

I took a 22-year old fire extinguisher to the local fire department
and they told me it was still good as long as the dial indicator
pointed to the green region. It is a good idea to have one near
every exterior door, one in the garage, and one in each vehicle.