Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tom

Default Fire doors+frames in rented flats

What doors need to be fire doors in flats that are to be let out, do all
the doors need changing for fire doors? It's a 3 story house converted
into 3 separate flats, (the conversion was done 20 years ago), some of
the existing doors are fire doors but some are not. Also I have been
told they need to have fire door frames, is this a different type of
wood or something or is it just for the fitting for the door closer?

Thanks

apax63 'at' dsl 'dot' pipex 'dot' com
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

--

Yes all doors need to be fire doors in flats disregarding whether its 2
levels or 3.

The regulations for three stories flats has changed considerably now, so if
its your dwelling on regards to letting out the flats read the regulations
as adequate fire protecion & escape routes are paramount in the building
regs.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

If you're planning to let the flats out, I think you'll find a whole
raft of legislation regarding fire protection - including protection
between floors, fire doors, protected escape routes/staircases, fire
alarms & heating appliances.

have a look at the official doc's he

http://www.odpm.gov.uk/index.asp?id=1130508

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

Also I have been told they need to have fire door frames, is this a
different type of wood

Either intumescent strip that expands and wedges against the door to stop
smoke (shouldn't stop the door opening when pushed). Alternatively,
unfeasibly large door stop timber that makes it look like a Toytown door.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tom

wrote:
If you're planning to let the flats out, I think you'll find a whole
raft of legislation regarding fire protection - including protection
between floors, fire doors, protected escape routes/staircases, fire
alarms & heating appliances.

have a look at the official doc's he

http://www.odpm.gov.uk/index.asp?id=1130508

I cant work out if it's classed as a HMO (House in Multiple Occupancy)
or not, there are 3 self contained flats. I read on landlordzone that if
it's not a HMO then there are no specific regulations but that does not
seem right, it already has a fire escape, interlinked fire alarms, and
some fire doors, but does not seem to fit into the category of a HMO
properly with it being 3 self contained flats. Are there a set of
regulations for a house which is converted into flats but is not a HMO?

Thanks

apax63 'at' dsl 'dot' pipex 'dot' com

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Tom wrote:
wrote:
[...]

The way I see it is...

If you have 3 students occupying a house but the bedrooms are on the...
ground floor,1st floor & second floor and the fire escape is at the back of
the premises then all three students have access to that fire escape
because they have a free run of all levels to escape.

I believe this is HMO?

The same situation would be classed as flats when the occupants don't have
access to the fire escape because each floor has occupants doors stopping
them getting to the fire escape,so therefore access to the fire escape has
to be done via building walls so that each occupant can gain access to the
fire escape at any level.

Unless the fire escape is accessed within each flat.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
nightjar

"Tom" wrote in message
What doors need to be fire doors in flats that are to be let out, do all
the doors need changing for fire doors?

The person to ask is your local Fire Prevention Officer,

.. Also I have been told they need to have fire door frames, is this a
different type of wood or something or is it just for the fitting for the
door closer?

The rebate against which the door closes needs to be of a minimum size,
which used to be at least 25mm deep and 25mm wide.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tom wrote:

I cant work out if it's classed as a HMO (House in Multiple Occupancy)
or not, there are 3 self contained flats.

This is probably more relevent -
URL:http://www.odpm.gov.uk/index.asp?id=1151996
The person to get confirmation from (in writing!) is the Housing
Officer at the county council who deal and advise on all types of
housing.

"If the block is a house which has been converted entirely into
self-contained flats the conversion will be regarded by local housing
authorities as an HMO if it does not comply at least with the standards
of the 1991 Building Regulations and if more than one third of the
flats are let out on short leases. These blocks of flats will not be
subject to mandatory HMO licensing although the local housing authority
may introduce additional licensing to cover them."

URL:http://www.odpm.gov.uk/index.asp?id=1163883&cat=100022#acat

How do I join the frames to make a cabinet? Billy Smith Woodworking 2 April 1st 06 10:36 PM
New Front Door(s) Bruce Home Repair 4 December 10th 03 12:37 AM
Advice on living flame gas fire Stuart UK diy 11 December 2nd 03 11:47 AM
gas fire leak test andy smith UK diy 5 September 26th 03 10:28 PM
Stripped doors in Edinburg (experience; long) robin UK diy 0 September 1st 03 01:49 PM