Default Infinity Router Bit Life Expectancy

I'm going to be building a couple of bunk bed/desk
combinations for my kids out of some kiln dried
douglas fir 2x4's and 2x6's. I plan to joint and
plane them so they're all the same size and using
lap joints. Since the edges will now all be square
and sharp I'm going to use a 3/8" roundover bit to
ease the edges. I've been using Infinity router
bits and saw blades for a while now with great success
and they seem to last longer than any I've ever used,
even longer than Whiteside bits. I have approximately
950 linear feet of edges to round over and I'm wondering
how many feet I might expect to get out of one 3/8"
roundover bit. The wood is relatively soft but there
will be the occasional knot to deal with. I spoke with
the owner of Infinity and asked him about this but he
didn't really know how many feet I should expect before
the bit was too dull to use. He did recommend using a
diamond hone every so often to sharpen the bit but that
will only work for so long before the bit is just shot.
His recommendation was to buy two of the same bit...Of
course! ;~} He seems like a good guy so I don't think
he was just trying to sell me more than I need and I
think he's right when he says that 950' is a lot to
expect out of one bit. Any guesses, (educated or
otherwise) as to how long a high quality bit will last
in KD Doug Fir? I could just buy 2 bits but at almost
$30 a piece I'm kinda cheap. Thanks.

Bruce

Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
I have approximately
950 linear feet of edges to round over and I'm wondering
how many feet I might expect to get out of one 3/8"
roundover bit.
expect out of one bit. Any guesses, (educated or
otherwise) as to how long a high quality bit will last
in KD Doug Fir? I could just buy 2 bits but at almost
$30 a piece I'm kinda cheap. Thanks.

Just a guess that one bit would do it. Worst case scenario is if it gets
dull, order a second and have it in two days.

Charles Spitzer

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
. ..

wrote in message
I have approximately
950 linear feet of edges to round over and I'm wondering
how many feet I might expect to get out of one 3/8"
roundover bit.
expect out of one bit. Any guesses, (educated or
otherwise) as to how long a high quality bit will last
in KD Doug Fir? I could just buy 2 bits but at almost
$30 a piece I'm kinda cheap. Thanks.

Just a guess that one bit would do it. Worst case scenario is if it gets
dull, order a second and have it in two days.

get it resharpened? i pay about $5-7/bit for that here.

regards,
charlie
cave creek, az
http://glassartists.org/chaniarts

You can expect wear lines on the cutter in a few hundred feet. In MDF,
ply, teak, and other more abrasive materials it could be worse.
Notwithstanding, sanding is typical after a simple roundover to remove
the mill marks, splinters etc.
If this was going to be inspected by the commander in chief of
Routerdom, and was expected to be perfect, I'd:
Buy a Chinese 10$ bit, let it cook itself on the first 90% of the cut
and let the Infinity take the last 10%, The White bit can easily stand
this modest bite for 1000'.
More on cutters: http://www.patwarner.com/routerbits.html

Leon

wrote in message
oups.com...

Sniiiiiip

Any guesses, (educated or
otherwise) as to how long a high quality bit will last
in KD Doug Fir? I could just buy 2 bits but at almost
$30 a piece I'm kinda cheap. Thanks.

Treated properly the bit should out last you. Most reputable quality
manufacturers give a lifetime warranty on their bits. I think the question
you should be asking is how long it will stay sharp.

Duane Bozarth

Leon wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

Sniiiiiip

Any guesses, (educated or
otherwise) as to how long a high quality bit will last
in KD Doug Fir? I could just buy 2 bits but at almost
$30 a piece I'm kinda cheap. Thanks.

Treated properly the bit should out last you. Most reputable quality
manufacturers give a lifetime warranty on their bits. I think the question
you should be asking is how long it will stay sharp.

That was the question.
Leon

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message

That was the question.

Ohhhhh. I was answering the title. I was not about to read the entire
thread after reading the title.