Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Starret Bandsaw Blade Life Expectancy

I have a bandsaw with a 1 inch Starrett blade. I typically cut thick
pieces, like 4-8 inch rounds. Mostly mild steel, like 4140, 8620 etc.

When cutting, I have plentiful coolant, meaning that the blade is
soaked with coolant just when entering the cut.

Under these conditions, how long can I expect the blade to last. Say,
how many buckets of chips can I expect to make with one blade? I
already made a couple buckets with one blade and it seems fine so far.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus12350" wrote in message
I have a bandsaw with a 1 inch Starrett blade. I typically cut thick
pieces, like 4-8 inch rounds. Mostly mild steel, like 4140, 8620 etc.

When cutting, I have plentiful coolant, meaning that the blade is
soaked with coolant just when entering the cut.

Under these conditions, how long can I expect the blade to last. Say,
how many buckets of chips can I expect to make with one blade? I
already made a couple buckets with one blade and it seems fine so far.

Starrett 1/2" blades suck. Starrett the company sucks.
Many other manufacturers of blades -- DoAll, Lenox, many others. Lenox
bimetal blades supposedly rool.
Proly some quantitated reviews around.

Iffin yer using a Kalamazoo-type cutoff saw, they are supposed to have a
chip wheel/wire brush. Allows tighter guide-wheel tolerance, for
straighter/better cuts.
One of those brushes/wipers after AND before the blade guide rollers is
proly not a bad idea, either. Or even blast air.
--
EA

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 12:42:56 -0500, Ignoramus12350
wrote:

I have a bandsaw with a 1 inch Starrett blade. I typically cut thick
pieces, like 4-8 inch rounds. Mostly mild steel, like 4140, 8620 etc.

When cutting, I have plentiful coolant, meaning that the blade is
soaked with coolant just when entering the cut.

Under these conditions, how long can I expect the blade to last. Say,
how many buckets of chips can I expect to make with one blade? I
already made a couple buckets with one blade and it seems fine so far.

Didn't you post this a while back, Iggy? I can't imagine how anyone
could give you a close answer.

First, 4140 and 8620 are not mild steel. They're alloys.

Second, it depends. g Keep up the coolant, though.

I assume you're using a regular bimetal Starrett blade, right? Or a
skip-tooth, or a Variable-Tooth-Height blade?

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 22, 10:54*am, "Existential Angst" wrote:
[...]

"Starrett 1/2" blades suck."

Agree. They make some of the worst bandsaw blades I've ever used. I'd
would suggest the bandsaw video I suggested to you to iggy but it's
not worth my time to do so. All iggy ever wants is the cheap, easy
answer.

"Starrett the company sucks."

They do now. It wasn't always that way. I own a good deal of Starrett
tools. Swiss stuff from Etalon, Tesa, Interapid, etc is far better.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
I have a bandsaw with a 1 inch Starrett blade. I typically cut thick
pieces, like 4-8 inch rounds. Mostly mild steel, like 4140, 8620 etc.

When cutting, I have plentiful coolant, meaning that the blade is
soaked with coolant just when entering the cut.

Under these conditions, how long can I expect the blade to last. Say,
how many buckets of chips can I expect to make with one blade? I
already made a couple buckets with one blade and it seems fine so far.

Didn't you post this a while back, Iggy? I can't imagine how anyone
could give you a close answer.

First, 4140 and 8620 are not mild steel. They're alloys.

Second, it depends. g Keep up the coolant, though.

I assume you're using a regular bimetal Starrett blade, right? Or a
skip-tooth, or a Variable-Tooth-Height blade?

--
Ed Huntress

iggy did indeed post this awhile back. iggy is still looking for the
easy way out and the easy answers. Nothing new here. That you haven't
figured out that this is iggy's style is just another sign of how
little you understand about what the problem with iggy is.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

I know Iggy. I've been to his house at different times. He doesn't
have a problem, Jon. YOU have a problem. With your personality. Or
several of your personalities.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

Ed, you have so many of your own issues that you can't understand the
problem iggy has with his approach.

By no means am I the only one that clearly see's that iggy has a
serious problem with his approach. You know very well that many others
have called iggy out on these continuing issues with iggy. As per
usual, you wish to ignore the problems that iggy has with his lame
approach and pretend they aren't issues that other besides myself have
noticed. This is very similar to how you ignore the problems of the
Pimple or KiddingNoOne that others post about.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus12350" wrote in message
I have a bandsaw with a 1 inch Starrett blade. I typically cut thick
pieces, like 4-8 inch rounds. Mostly mild steel, like 4140, 8620 etc.

When cutting, I have plentiful coolant, meaning that the blade is
soaked with coolant just when entering the cut.

Under these conditions, how long can I expect the blade to last. Say,
how many buckets of chips can I expect to make with one blade? I
already made a couple buckets with one blade and it seems fine so far.

Ed was right on on the alloy thing. Ig, by now, you should be alloy-savvy,
no?
4140, even unhardened, is tough stuff.

But here's what you are actually in a position to do, since you are counting
buckets of chips.
Buy a bunch of blades from different mfrs, keep a log of hours, materials,
etc, and post back with some quantitative results on blade performance/life
You should keep some kind of "standard" material for an occasional test cut
(under "standard saw settings"), to assess blade performance over time.
That would prove very useful for everyone cutting metal, and you could at
least start to pay down the debt of, oh, about 10 years worth of free
bidniss advice/technical consultations.
--
EA

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

KiddingHisself and PlimpBoi are malevolent sociopaths, as clearly evinced by
their joint GummerWitchhunt.
As I pointed out elsewhere, kidding and plimp aren't worthy of holding
gummer's dick while he takes a ****, and even tho YOU don't like gummer,
I'll bet you'd agree 100% wit DAT.

Now, Ed is clearly well-adjusted (well, imo -- clearly not in your oipinion
LOL), and I can only surmise that the reason Ed entertains their toxic
malevolent semi-litirit drivel is because he's doing some kind of study on
UseNet Sociopaths and Assholes.

Ed, when will you be publishing this Mighty Tomb of UseNet?? Will you be
using Mr. PV's Standard AQ scale?? The Assaholic Quotient??
Kidding will peg the meter on DAT one.... I might have to standardize a new
scale just for that pricky asshole.
--
EA

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

Actually, Jon, *you're* my biggest issue lately. When you go away,
I'll brighten right up.

By no means am I the only one that clearly see's that iggy has a
serious problem with his approach. You know very well that many others
have called iggy out on these continuing issues with iggy. As per
usual, you wish to ignore the problems that iggy has with his lame
approach and pretend they aren't issues that other besides myself have
noticed. This is very similar to how you ignore the problems of the
Pimple or KiddingNoOne that others post about.

WTF are you talking about? Iggy is a nice guy with a lot of guts and a
willingness to ask questions. He doesn't have "issues." He has a
personality, and I find it to be a quite pleasant one.

He's turned his interest into a business, at considerable risk. It's
doing better, I'll bet, than most startups at this stage in their
history.

You, on the other hand, come into a recreational metalworking group
and berate people for not knowing all the answers. What do you think a
recreational group is for? That it's a place for you to show off all
of your professional knowledge and to make fun of people who are
amateurs?

This is supposed to be a group for amateurs. It's nice that some pros
help out with the questions sometimes. It's NOT nice when you berate
them for things that you think they should have known. We're here as
hobbyists.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

This has nothing to do with hobbyists, Ed and you know it.

I'm not going to waste my time going over and over topics that I've
fully covered with you before. What you wrote above are just more
excuses for you to try to ignore the reality of what iggy's problem is
just like you ignore the real problems of what KiddingNoOne and the
Pimple are.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

=============================================== ==

KiddingHisself and PlimpBoi are malevolent sociopaths, as clearly evinced by
their joint GummerWitchhunt.
As I pointed out elsewhere, kidding and plimp aren't worthy of holding
gummer's dick while he takes a ****, and even tho YOU don't like gummer,
I'll bet you'd agree 100% wit DAT.

Now, Ed is clearly well-adjusted (well, imo -- clearly not in your oipinion
LOL), and I can only surmise that the reason Ed entertains their toxic
malevolent semi-litirit drivel is because he's doing some kind of study on
UseNet Sociopaths and Assholes.

Ed, when will you be publishing this Mighty Tomb of UseNet?? Will you be
using Mr. PV's Standard AQ scale?? The Assaholic Quotient??
Kidding will peg the meter on DAT one.... I might have to standardize a new
scale just for that pricky asshole.

Think of it as a sequel to _The Tibetan Book of the Dead_. I can't
find a publisher, though, so it's probably a dead project -- if you'll
forgive the pun.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

Jesus, have you hung out your shingle yet? What are you doing with CAD
and CAM, when you spend most of your time doing ersatz psychoanalysis
from inside of a tin bucket?

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

They are angry over what Mark Wieber tried to do to them. They have
good reason to be angry over what Mark Wieber tired to do to them but
at this point they have long since made their point. Now it's a major
distraction in trying to get the focus of this newsgroup back to
metalworking... which neither KiddingNoOne or the Pimple (who appears
to have next to zero machining experience) wish to see happen.

Weiber has spent tons of time trying to discredit me and all of his
efforts have blown up in his face. The difference between the Pimple,
KiddingNoOne and myself when it comes to Mark Weiber is that I don't
go overboard with a payback stalking spree at every possible chance
because it's not necessary with Mark Wieber. In my case, I know how
powerless Mark Wieber truly is and I know I can easily defeat his many
lies about me. Wieber doesn't have the needed machining experience or
CADCAM experience to play in my league. When Wieber tries he makes a
complete fool out of himself. See the Gorton 2-28 milling machine
thread.

"Now, Ed is clearly well-adjusted (well, imo -- clearly not in your
oipinion LOL)

Correct, not in my opinion. Ed quit on machining and found a
comfortable niche that was easier for him... writing ad copy that
pretends to be an honest review. That job requires you to be gullible
and not care about fact checking too closely the material the company
your writing about gives you. If you were to write a truly fair
review, they would pull the advertising dollars from the magazine
you're writing for and use another advertising based machining
magazine.

The scam Ed spent much of his life involved with is called pay for
play:

http://worldcadaccess.typepad.com/bl...-for-play.html

"and I can only surmise that the reason Ed entertains their toxic
malevolent semi-litirit drivel is because he's doing some kind of
study on UseNet Sociopaths and Assholes."

Ed feels the need for the dialog. I'd argue being so promiscuous has
its drawbacks. I'd also argue that Ed quitting when trying to do
something like shrink sheet metal isn't the right mentality one needs
to be successful working with their hands. In addition, giving up on
learning why you failed, even if you no longer are interested, to me
speaks volumes about who and what Ed truly is. Even if I have no
interest decades later in something, I still am interested in learning
where I went wrong and how I could have done it better. Not, Ed.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

================================================ =

[...]

So you ARE doing research! I was right, I was RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dood, .pdf, man, .pdf!!! $9.99 ebook.... or e-study, in this case.

Might I suggest a title??
"The effect of chronic public UseNet masturbation on Type-1 personality
disorders, type 2 (non-criminal) sociopathy: A feed-forward mechanism"

Which means, essentially, the more one jerks off in public, the worse
personality disorders get. LOL

With the subtitle:
"The possible mitigating effects of circle-jerk reach-arounds with a
favorite butt-buddy"
In this case, of course, Kidding/PlimpBoi.

Yeah, I know, sounds a bit daunting, but dood, I'll help with the
statistical analysis and editing/proof-reading.
I'll even write the forward..... LOL
--
EA

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

Using Thunderbird I can see you (Ed) replying to yourself frequently, I
presume this is due to anything from Jon Banquer having been
automatically deleted for some time now in my filters. All I see is a
bit of what JB posted in your reply. BTW you seem one of the sane ones
but I suspect not everyone would agree with that from some replies.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

Kill files are for pussies. You're a pussy.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

Ed IS one of the sane ones, but he had me worried for a while, what with all
that cavorting with the sociopathic assholes kidding/plimpboi.
BUT, now that I have confirmed that he IS doing a research study on the
masturbatory habits of sociopathic assholes on usenet, I can heave a sigh
of relief.
I can't wait for its publication, hoping for an autographed copy.
--
EA

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

As the years pass I find your approach to be more and more
refreshing.

It's truly amazing what time and life's experiences can do to one's
perspective.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 16:24:53 -0400, "Existential Angst"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:
[...]

I appreciate the thought, but I'm afraid that Usenet is off the radar
by now. My chance passed me by.

That's why everyone -- dock workers, housewives, bicyclists; everyone
-- is flocking to Jon Banquer's LinkedIn Group! If you're tired of
Usenet, give it a try.

I think it was mentioned on CNN last night. They had a piece on the
need to improve our mental health system.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

Wrong again and about as accurate as you thinking LinkedIn groups were
blogs.

My LinkedIn group is mostly filled with professional machinists,
mechanical and manufacturing engineers, CADCAM company employees and
owners, software engineers and independent CADCAM resellers.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-04-22, Existential Angst wrote:
[...]

Mine has wipers. It is called Startrite H225.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I have a bandsaw with a 1 inch Starrett blade. I typically cut thick
pieces, like 4-8 inch rounds. Mostly mild steel, like 4140, 8620 etc.

When cutting, I have plentiful coolant, meaning that the blade is
soaked with coolant just when entering the cut.

Under these conditions, how long can I expect the blade to last. Say,
how many buckets of chips can I expect to make with one blade? I
already made a couple buckets with one blade and it seems fine so far.

Didn't you post this a while back, Iggy? I can't imagine how anyone
could give you a close answer.

First, 4140 and 8620 are not mild steel. They're alloys.

Second, it depends. g Keep up the coolant, though.

I assume you're using a regular bimetal Starrett blade, right? Or a
skip-tooth, or a Variable-Tooth-Height blade?

Variable TPI, the teeth look different.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"jon_banquer" wrote in message ....

the reality of what iggy's problem is

It's not a "problem" for iggy....

He's just acting stupid, (and cleverly so) in order to profit from all the gullible folks who are apparently eager to waste their own time spoon-feeding him with information that he could easily figure out on his own if he were so inclined.

-easy to feel sorry for someone in a wheelchair; only slightly less than for someone who posts on usenet using the nym "ignoramus", if you catch my drift...

The problem IMO is when someone is always provided with the "easy answer", their reasoning, problem solving, and decision making skills generally suffer substantially as a result.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

Hahahooo!...it must look really weird then, Dave.

You're right; if you don't jerk your knee over every right-wing myth
in this place, there are some folks who will accuse you of everything
short of starving your children.

For those who take them seriously, it must be unpleasant. For me, it's
an entertaining insight into some very warped minds.

But I'll try to lighten up on replying to the real nutcases, to spare
you the quotes. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-04-22, Existential Angst wrote:

Ed was right on on the alloy thing. Ig, by now, you should be alloy-savvy,
no?
4140, even unhardened, is tough stuff.

4140, if unhardened, is extremely easy to cut on a band saw. Cuts as
fast as any other steel.

8620 is a lot harder to cut! It takes forever, in comparison.

When I make ships by the bucket, new problems and questions appear, I
had to redo the coolant nozzle so that the blade stays wetter, etc.

But here's what you are actually in a position to do, since you are counting
buckets of chips.
Buy a bunch of blades from different mfrs, keep a log of hours, materials,
etc, and post back with some quantitative results on blade performance/life
You should keep some kind of "standard" material for an occasional test cut
(under "standard saw settings"), to assess blade performance over time.
That would prove very useful for everyone cutting metal, and you could at
least start to pay down the debt of, oh, about 10 years worth of free
bidniss advice/technical consultations.

Yep, I agree.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 22, 1:53*pm, "PrecisionmachinisT"
wrote:
"jon_banquer" wrote in ...
the reality of what iggy's problem is

It's not a "problem" for iggy....

He's just acting stupid, (and cleverly so) in order to profit from all the gullible folks who are apparently eager to waste their own time spoon-feeding him with information that he could easily figure out on his own if he were so inclined.

-easy to feel sorry for someone in a wheelchair; only slightly less than for someone who posts on usenet using the nym "ignoramus", if you catch my drift...

The problem IMO is when someone is always provided with the "easy answer", their reasoning, problem solving, and decision making skills generally suffer substantially as a result.

Yeah, I catch your drift. iggy is one pathetic piece of **** and those
like Ed that keep enabling iggy are far worse in my opinion.

"The problem IMO is when someone is always provided with the "easy
answer", their reasoning, problem solving, and decision making skills
generally suffer substantially as a result."

Unfortunately in their desire to help, many like Ed miss this even
though iggy's problem has been beyond obvious for years now. The best
thing this group could possibly offer up in my opinion is helping
those who wish to be machinists help on how to learn how to think and
reason for themselves. In my opinion EA has and is now a professional
machinist with the right approach.

Maybe if you went and met iggy, like Ed loves to mention he has, you
would feel differently. Maybe the world is really flat and maybe Mark
Wieber doesn't lie.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

Not to mention an entire cadre of lawyers gathering evidence!

--
Ed Huntre
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I have a bandsaw with a 1 inch Starrett blade. I typically cut thick
pieces, like 4-8 inch rounds. Mostly mild steel, like 4140, 8620 etc.

When cutting, I have plentiful coolant, meaning that the blade is
soaked with coolant just when entering the cut.

Under these conditions, how long can I expect the blade to last. Say,
how many buckets of chips can I expect to make with one blade? I
already made a couple buckets with one blade and it seems fine so far.

Didn't you post this a while back, Iggy? I can't imagine how anyone
could give you a close answer.

First, 4140 and 8620 are not mild steel. They're alloys.

Second, it depends. g Keep up the coolant, though.

I assume you're using a regular bimetal Starrett blade, right? Or a
skip-tooth, or a Variable-Tooth-Height blade?

Variable TPI, the teeth look different.

Lay a straightedge along the teeth. If the tooth HEIGHT varies, it's a
Starrett VTH blade. The set varies every 3rd to 10th tooth, too.

They're made mostly for nickel alloys, including stainless. I wrote an
article about them last year, after spending a day in a shop that cuts
a lot of 316 bars.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

They are certainly free to do so. I made it an open group for a reason
rather than a closed group.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

Carry on as you see fit don't worry about me. I had all but given
up on RCM until I updated to a newer version of Thunderbird recently
with better filtering capabilities and filtering certain frequently
cross posted newsgroups and a few other things keeps it sane and quiet
on RCM for me and largely on topic. Still the degradation of content
over the last 10 years or so is pretty evident.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Iffin yer using a Kalamazoo-type cutoff saw, they are supposed to
have a chip wheel/wire brush. Allows tighter guide-wheel tolerance,
for straighter/better cuts.

Ig, even my 50-year-old Kalamazoo #8 has those wipers -- and they're
important with tight guide clearance; keep them properly adjusted and
renewed as necessary.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 22, 1:53*pm, "PrecisionmachinisT"
wrote:
"jon_banquer" wrote in ...
the reality of what iggy's problem is

It's not a "problem" for iggy....

He's just acting stupid, (and cleverly so) in order to profit from all the gullible folks who are apparently eager to waste their own time spoon-feeding him with information that he could easily figure out on his own if he were so inclined.

-easy to feel sorry for someone in a wheelchair; only slightly less than for someone who posts on usenet using the nym "ignoramus", if you catch my drift...

The problem IMO is when someone is always provided with the "easy answer", their reasoning, problem solving, and decision making skills generally suffer substantially as a result.

Count on Ed Huntress totally ignoring what you posted just like he
ignores the facts about what the Pimple and KiddingNoOne are.

There is most definitely a reason Ed won't do the small amount of
research need to confirm facts. The facts would blow the nonsense and
bull**** Ed frequently posts to smithereens. Ed honed his craft of
ignoring and not wanting to know the real truth writing for
advertising based magazines as well as writing ad copy over many
years. You always pay a price for selling out. How Ed thinks and
operates shows just how badly selling out for years and years has
effected him.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

That you can't see why the metalworking content here has degraded and
that you feel so powerless to do anything about it helps to explain
why I'm in your kill file. You're a major pussy and you're very stupid
as well.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus12350 fired this volley in
:

When I make ships by the bucket, new problems and questions appear, I
had to redo the coolant nozzle so that the blade stays wetter, etc.

Yup... but despite EA's inane protestations, the Starrett bi-metal blades
are good. I go roughly a year between replacing them on the 8x24
Kalamazo. I don't make as much steel chips as you do, but still cut a
lot of stock.

I figure - at some point - time is as important as blade cost. I'm not
one to shirk buying a new cutting tool if one wears out; I HATE dull
_anything_. But after long enough, you figure a blade must be fatigued
from all the bending, that being just as much or more destructive than
the wear from actual cutting. My old blades break (usually) long before
they dull.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 22, 2:30*pm, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Ignoramus12350 fired this volley om:

When I make ships by the bucket, new problems and questions appear, I
had to redo the coolant nozzle so that the blade stays wetter, etc.

Yup... but despite EA's inane protestations, the Starrett bi-metal blades
are good. *I go roughly a year between replacing them on the 8x24
Kalamazo. *I don't make as much steel chips as you do, but still cut a
lot of stock.

I figure - at some point - time is as important as blade cost. *I'm not
one to shirk buying a new cutting tool if one wears out; I HATE dull
_anything_. *But after long enough, you figure a blade must be fatigued
from all the bending, that being just as much or more destructive than
the wear from actual cutting. *My old blades break (usually) long before
they dull.

LLoyd

EA is not the only one. When I worked at Qualcomm's Prototype machine
shop we tried Starrett band saw blades with very poor results. I've
also used Starrett band saw blades elsewhere and they weren't very
good and certainly were nothing special. That doesn't mean all
Starrett band saw blades suck or they they don't have something new
that's great only that I've seen nothing special about them.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote in message . 3.70...

But after long enough, you figure a blade must be fatigued
from all the bending, that being just as much or more destructive than
the wear from actual cutting. My old blades break (usually) long before
they dull.

If you look closely, you'll probably see numerous stress cracks.

Re-welding is futile, it'll just break again someplace else.

FWIW, I'm currently using DoAll blades, and the saw sees aluminum only, for maybe 3 hours a week...

--blades usually last at least a year unless there's a mishap.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"PrecisionmachinisT" fired this volley in
news:LKGdnQKazYfgJejMnZ2dnUVZ_gmdnZ2d@scnresearch. com:

f you look closely, you'll probably see numerous stress cracks.

Re-welding is futile, it'll just break again someplace else.

I do... I already knew that. I was just trying to make the point that
fatigue is often the limiting factor.

After all, every gullet is a designed-to-purpose stress riser in the
metal!

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 16:00:01 -0500, Ignoramus12350

On 2013-04-22, Existential Angst wrote:

Ed was right on on the alloy thing. Ig, by now, you should be alloy-savvy,
no?
4140, even unhardened, is tough stuff.

4140, if unhardened, is extremely easy to cut on a band saw. Cuts as
fast as any other steel.

So is hypereutectic aluminum -- until it tears the crap out of your
blade, which will happen before you can get a cup of coffee.

Ease of cutting may not tell you anything about blade life, Iggy,
although it usually does. Just be aware that alloys are not "mild
steel." Mild steel is a non-technical nickname for plain carbon
steels, usually below 20 points of carbon. IOW, 1020 or below.

8620 is a lot harder to cut! It takes forever, in comparison.

When I make ships by the bucket, new problems and questions appear, I
had to redo the coolant nozzle so that the blade stays wetter, etc.

But here's what you are actually in a position to do, since you are counting
buckets of chips.
Buy a bunch of blades from different mfrs, keep a log of hours, materials,
etc, and post back with some quantitative results on blade performance/life
You should keep some kind of "standard" material for an occasional test cut
(under "standard saw settings"), to assess blade performance over time.
That would prove very useful for everyone cutting metal, and you could at
least start to pay down the debt of, oh, about 10 years worth of free
bidniss advice/technical consultations.

Yep, I agree.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

Oh yes, indeed. I'll try to be good. If I can't be good, I'll at least
try to entertain a bit. d8-)

As Thomas Jefferson said, in his conclusion to the "Tree of Liberty"
letter:

"The want of facts worth communicating to you has occasioned me to
give a little loose to dissertation. We must be contented to amuse,
when we cannot inform."

--
Ed Huntress