Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Starret Bandsaw Blade Life Expectancy

On Apr 22, 12:07*pm, "Existential Angst" wrote:
"jon_banquer" wrote in message

On Apr 22, 11:35 am, Ed Huntress wrote:

On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 11:07:57 -0700 (PDT), jon_banquer

wrote:
On Apr 22, 11:01 am, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 12:42:56 -0500, Ignoramus12350

wrote:
I have a bandsaw with a 1 inch Starrett blade. I typically cut thick
pieces, like 4-8 inch rounds. Mostly mild steel, like 4140, 8620 etc.

When cutting, I have plentiful coolant, meaning that the blade is
soaked with coolant just when entering the cut.

Under these conditions, how long can I expect the blade to last. Say,
how many buckets of chips can I expect to make with one blade? I
already made a couple buckets with one blade and it seems fine so far.

Didn't you post this a while back, Iggy? I can't imagine how anyone
could give you a close answer.

First, 4140 and 8620 are not mild steel. They're alloys.

Second, it depends. g Keep up the coolant, though.

I assume you're using a regular bimetal Starrett blade, right? Or a
skip-tooth, or a Variable-Tooth-Height blade?

--
Ed Huntress

iggy did indeed post this awhile back. iggy is still looking for the
easy way out and the easy answers. Nothing new here. That you haven't
figured out that this is iggy's style is just another sign of how
little you understand about what the problem with iggy is.

I know Iggy. I've been to his house at different times. He doesn't
have a problem, Jon. YOU have a problem. With your personality. Or
several of your personalities.

--
Ed Huntress

Ed, you have so many of your own issues that you can't understand the
problem iggy has with his approach.

By no means am I the only one that clearly see's that iggy has a
serious problem with his approach. You know very well that many others
have called iggy out on these continuing issues with iggy. As per
usual, you wish to ignore the problems that iggy has with his lame
approach and pretend they aren't issues that other besides myself have
noticed. This is very similar to how you ignore the problems of the
Pimple or KiddingNoOne that others post about.

KiddingHisself and PlimpBoi are malevolent sociopaths, as clearly evinced by
their joint GummerWitchhunt.
As I pointed out elsewhere, kidding and plimp aren't worthy of holding
gummer's dick while he takes a ****, and even tho YOU don't like gummer,
I'll bet you'd agree 100% wit DAT.

Now, Ed is clearly well-adjusted (well, imo -- *clearly not in your oipinion
LOL), and I can only surmise that the reason Ed entertains their toxic
malevolent semi-litirit drivel is because he's doing some kind of study on
UseNet Sociopaths and Assholes.

Ed, when will you be publishing this Mighty Tomb of UseNet?? * Will you be
using Mr. PV's Standard AQ scale?? *The Assaholic Quotient??
Kidding will peg the meter on DAT one.... *I might have to standardize a new
scale just for that pricky asshole.
--
EA

They are angry over what Mark Wieber tried to do to them. They have
good reason to be angry over what Mark Wieber tired to do to them but
at this point they have long since made their point. Now it's a major
distraction in trying to get the focus of this newsgroup back to
metalworking... which neither KiddingNoOne or the Pimple (who appears
to have next to zero machining experience) wish to see happen.

Weiber has spent tons of time trying to discredit me and all of his
efforts have blown up in his face. The difference between the Pimple,
KiddingNoOne and myself when it comes to Mark Weiber is that I don't
go overboard with a payback stalking spree at every possible chance
because it's not necessary with Mark Wieber. In my case, I know how
powerless Mark Wieber truly is and I know I can easily defeat his many
lies about me. Wieber doesn't have the needed machining experience or
CADCAM experience to play in my league. When Wieber tries he makes a
complete fool out of himself. See the Gorton 2-28 milling machine
thread.

"Now, Ed is clearly well-adjusted (well, imo -- clearly not in your
oipinion LOL)

Correct, not in my opinion. Ed quit on machining and found a
comfortable niche that was easier for him... writing ad copy that
pretends to be an honest review. That job requires you to be gullible
and not care about fact checking too closely the material the company
your writing about gives you. If you were to write a truly fair
review, they would pull the advertising dollars from the magazine
you're writing for and use another advertising based machining
magazine.

The scam Ed spent much of his life involved with is called pay for
play:

http://worldcadaccess.typepad.com/bl...-for-play.html

"and I can only surmise that the reason Ed entertains their toxic
malevolent semi-litirit drivel is because he's doing some kind of
study on UseNet Sociopaths and Assholes."

Ed feels the need for the dialog. I'd argue being so promiscuous has
its drawbacks. I'd also argue that Ed quitting when trying to do
something like shrink sheet metal isn't the right mentality one needs
to be successful working with their hands. In addition, giving up on
learning why you failed, even if you no longer are interested, to me
speaks volumes about who and what Ed truly is. Even if I have no
interest decades later in something, I still am interested in learning
where I went wrong and how I could have done it better. Not, Ed.