Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Starret Bandsaw Blade Life Expectancy

On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 22:18:34 +0100, David Billington
wrote:

On 22/04/13 21:57, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 21:32:04 +0100, David Billington
wrote:

On 22/04/13 21:15, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 12:26:37 -0700 (PDT), jon_banquer
wrote:

On Apr 22, 12:19 pm, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 11:46:44 -0700 (PDT), jon_banquer

wrote:
On Apr 22, 11:35 am, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 11:07:57 -0700 (PDT), jon_banquer
wrote:
On Apr 22, 11:01 am, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 12:42:56 -0500, Ignoramus12350
wrote:
I have a bandsaw with a 1 inch Starrett blade. I typically cut thick
pieces, like 4-8 inch rounds. Mostly mild steel, like 4140, 8620 etc.
When cutting, I have plentiful coolant, meaning that the blade is
soaked with coolant just when entering the cut.
Under these conditions, how long can I expect the blade to last. Say,
how many buckets of chips can I expect to make with one blade? I
already made a couple buckets with one blade and it seems fine so far.
Didn't you post this a while back, Iggy? I can't imagine how anyone
could give you a close answer.
First, 4140 and 8620 are not mild steel. They're alloys.
Second, it depends. g Keep up the coolant, though.
I assume you're using a regular bimetal Starrett blade, right? Or a
skip-tooth, or a Variable-Tooth-Height blade?
--
Ed Huntress
iggy did indeed post this awhile back. iggy is still looking for the

By no means am I the only one that clearly see's that iggy has a
serious problem with his approach. You know very well that many others
have called iggy out on these continuing issues with iggy. As per
usual, you wish to ignore the problems that iggy has with his lame
approach and pretend they aren't issues that other besides myself have
noticed. This is very similar to how you ignore the problems of the
Pimple or KiddingNoOne that others post about.
WTF are you talking about? Iggy is a nice guy with a lot of guts and a
willingness to ask questions. He doesn't have "issues." He has a
personality, and I find it to be a quite pleasant one.

He's turned his interest into a business, at considerable risk. It's
doing better, I'll bet, than most startups at this stage in their
history.

You, on the other hand, come into a recreational metalworking group
and berate people for not knowing all the answers. What do you think a
recreational group is for? That it's a place for you to show off all
of your professional knowledge and to make fun of people who are
amateurs?

This is supposed to be a group for amateurs. It's nice that some pros
help out with the questions sometimes. It's NOT nice when you berate
them for things that you think they should have known. We're here as
hobbyists.

--
Ed Huntress
This has nothing to do with hobbyists, Ed and you know it.

I'm not going to waste my time going over and over topics that I've
fully covered with you before. What you wrote above are just more
excuses for you to try to ignore the reality of what iggy's problem is
just like you ignore the real problems of what KiddingNoOne and the
Pimple are.
Jesus, have you hung out your shingle yet? What are you doing with CAD
and CAM, when you spend most of your time doing ersatz psychoanalysis
from inside of a tin bucket?

Using Thunderbird I can see you (Ed) replying to yourself frequently, I
presume this is due to anything from Jon Banquer having been
automatically deleted for some time now in my filters. All I see is a
bit of what JB posted in your reply. BTW you seem one of the sane ones
but I suspect not everyone would agree with that from some replies.

Hahahooo!...it must look really weird then, Dave.

You're right; if you don't jerk your knee over every right-wing myth
in this place, there are some folks who will accuse you of everything
short of starving your children.

For those who take them seriously, it must be unpleasant. For me, it's
an entertaining insight into some very warped minds.

But I'll try to lighten up on replying to the real nutcases, to spare
you the quotes. d8-)

Ed,

Carry on as you see fit don't worry about me. I had all but given
up on RCM until I updated to a newer version of Thunderbird recently
with better filtering capabilities and filtering certain frequently
cross posted newsgroups and a few other things keeps it sane and quiet
on RCM for me and largely on topic. Still the degradation of content
over the last 10 years or so is pretty evident.

Oh yes, indeed. I'll try to be good. If I can't be good, I'll at least
try to entertain a bit. d8-)

As Thomas Jefferson said, in his conclusion to the "Tree of Liberty"
letter:

"The want of facts worth communicating to you has occasioned me to
give a little loose to dissertation. We must be contented to amuse,
when we cannot inform."

--
Ed Huntress