Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Starret Bandsaw Blade Life Expectancy

On Apr 22, 10:54*am, "Existential Angst" wrote:
"Ignoramus12350" wrote in message

I have a bandsaw with a 1 inch Starrett blade. I typically cut thick
pieces, like 4-8 inch rounds. Mostly mild steel, like 4140, 8620 etc.

When cutting, I have plentiful coolant, meaning that the blade is
soaked with coolant just when entering the cut.

Under these conditions, how long can I expect the blade to last. Say,
how many buckets of chips can I expect to make with one blade? I
already made a couple buckets with one blade and it seems fine so far.

Starrett 1/2" blades suck. *Starrett the company sucks.
Many other manufacturers of blades -- DoAll, Lenox, many others. *Lenox
bimetal blades supposedly rool.
Proly some quantitated reviews around.

Iffin yer using a Kalamazoo-type cutoff saw, they are supposed to have a
chip wheel/wire brush. *Allows tighter guide-wheel tolerance, for
straighter/better cuts.
One of those brushes/wipers after AND before the blade guide rollers is
proly not a bad idea, either. *Or even blast air.
--
EA

"Starrett 1/2" blades suck."

Agree. They make some of the worst bandsaw blades I've ever used. I'd
would suggest the bandsaw video I suggested to you to iggy but it's
not worth my time to do so. All iggy ever wants is the cheap, easy
answer.

"Starrett the company sucks."

They do now. It wasn't always that way. I own a good deal of Starrett
tools. Swiss stuff from Etalon, Tesa, Interapid, etc is far better.