Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT unsigned title

On 2012-02-04, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Jim Wilkins wrote:

"Winston" wrote in message
Larry Jaques wrote:
Add trailers and things get giggly pretty quickly.

Backing downhill around a corner in the rain after dark with a trailer
is when it gets truly interesting.

Not for me, man!

--Winston

Backing a trailer straight across an open parking lot is a challenge for me.

Try it with a trailer with a bent tongue. Pulled forward OK, but
turned to the left when backing up. Had to replace most of the metal to
fix that problem.

Complaining about a trailer with a bent tongue is like complaining
about a gun with a bent barrel. "would not shoot straight"

You sound like the guy that told me I didn't know how to back a
trailer. I let him try it, and he was a lot worse with it than I was.
There was a 10? horizontal bend that pushed it out of line. Try it some
time, before you spout off. It was my dad's trailer. he didn't back it
up. he uncoupled it and turned it around by hand. It was short and too
light weight for what he needed, but he didn't listen when I told him it
was a bad trailer and bought it anyway. he didn't let me replace the
tounge until it snapped off. Loaded and on a highway. A chuckhole at a
stop sign, and the tailgate shot up into the rearview mirror

Scary!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Done deal, registered without problems.

I almost had a heart attack when I learned that registration fee for a
80,000 lbs plate would be $3k per year. For now, I registered it for a
lot less weight just to pay less, until I get a trailer. Then I will
know how much registration I need.

On 2012-02-01, Ignoramus32500 wrote:
I bought a semi tractor on auction and received a title, not only
without my name, but also without any signature of the seller (which
is a company, not an individual, closing down a factory). The purchase
is 100% legitimate. When I was at the DMV registering a title for
something else, I observed that they did not check the signature in
any way (obviously).

If I decide to keep this tractor, which I likely would, should I just
have, say, my wife sign it with something, in order to re-register?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-02-04, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Jim Wilkins wrote:

"Winston" wrote in message
Larry Jaques wrote:
[...]

No kidding. The only emergecy repair I could make was a handful of
18" 1/2" stainless steel rods and a half dozen large hose clamps too put
a splint on the broken 1.5" square tubing, to get it home and unload
it. Then I had to haul it at under 20 MPH on some back roads.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 04 Feb 2012 11:30:48 -0600, Ignoramus27096
wrote:

Done deal, registered without problems.

I almost had a heart attack when I learned that registration fee for a
80,000 lbs plate would be $3k per year. For now, I registered it for a
lot less weight just to pay less, until I get a trailer. Then I will
know how much registration I need.

How bad did the insurance hurt?????

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus31868" wrote

Never drove a stick shift before..and now you own a semi?

Gnerk!

Enjoy the learning experince.
It will be a long one.

You bet, it will be. I will practice at least 20 minutes every day.

At that rate, to learn the nuances of shifting, upshifting, downshifting,
double clutching, braking, switching the rear axle and the tranny at the
same time, braking while doing all the above, throw in signaling, allowing
for different turning diameters of all components combined, by my
calculations, you should be good by sometime in the fall of 2057. By then,
you should be ready for defensive driving, doubles, etc.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner Asch" wrote
Particularly in 1st gear!

Grin

Gunner

As any trucker will tell you, starting from a dead ass stop is a b****.
Keeping any movement or momentum at all that avoids that is a very good
thing.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-02-05, Steve B wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote
Particularly in 1st gear!

Grin

Gunner

As any trucker will tell you, starting from a dead ass stop is a b****.
Keeping any movement or momentum at all that avoids that is a very good
thing.

Steve

What about from a stop uphill?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" wrote

Backing a trailer straight across an open parking lot is a challenge for
me.

jsw

Use your mirrors. Learn to turn the wheel in the correct way to keep the
trailer straight. It comes to you fast, and will teach you mirror use.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus31868" wrote

I do back up fine with a trailer when I can turn my head around and
look back. But I cannot do it with mirrors. I think, that it would
take a day of practice to get it.

When you lookout the rear window with a box back there, all you can see is
the box.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Done deal, registered without problems.

I almost had a heart attack when I learned that registration fee for a
80,000 lbs plate would be $3k per year. For now, I registered it for a
lot less weight just to pay less, until I get a trailer. Then I will
know how much registration I need.

How bad did the insurance hurt?????

I do not have any insurance... I need to buy Maalox first,,,

Maalox? Now you know you need insurance. Ulcers are caused by a
bacteria, not stress.

In the 80s, when I was running a company with well over 200 armed people
out on the streets and hills and dales...I was sucking Maalox by the
tanker full.

Then I found a doctor who treated the bacteria just discovered. And
within a couple weeks...no more bloody turds, no more hospital stays and
IVs..gone. Kaput. ???????????, finished.

Iggy..as a guy whose life has been turned upside down because I didnt
have insurance....couldnt afford it in these bad times...get insurance.

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve B wrote:
"Ignoramus31868" wrote

I do back up fine with a trailer when I can turn my head around and
look back. But I cannot do it with mirrors. I think, that it would
take a day of practice to get it.

When you lookout the rear window with a box back there, all you can see is
the box.

Steve

Yep BIG slab sides and blind spots large enough to eat a bus. Not so bad
with good mirrors and open road but driving through crowded traffic gets
your attention. The only thing the rear window on a day cab is for is
when you do a lot of D&H work. Then you have a way to cheat lining up
the hitch.

Also keep in mind that practicing without a trailer on is somewhat of
limited value. Once you have a box back there things change a LOT.
You might want to look around for a short pup trailer, throw that on the
back and learn how to maneuver it around in reverse and you will learn a
lot more.
You learn to LOOK at everything when you back up. Overall height which
isn't usually a problem with a P/U pulled trailer now becomes another
obstacle.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-02-05, Steve B wrote:
"Gunner Asch" wrote
Particularly in 1st gear!

Grin

Gunner

As any trucker will tell you, starting from a dead ass stop is a b****.
Keeping any movement or momentum at all that avoids that is a very good
thing.

Steve

What about from a stop uphill?

They happen all the time. BUT you can really have problems if you're not
careful. I'm not talking about rolling backwards either. Because the
engines are designed to pull a LOT of weight it is also very easy to
break the tires loose when you start moving. One of the common results
of this is called a power jack knife. Especially easy to do uphill in
rain/slippery conditions.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-02-03, Larry wrote:
On Fri, 3 Feb 2012 07:32:37 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

wrote in message
Larry Jaques wrote:
Add trailers and things get giggly pretty quickly.

Backing downhill around a corner in the rain after dark with a trailer
is when it gets truly interesting.

Not for me, man!

Backing a trailer straight across an open parking lot is a challenge for me.

It's hard to reverse your thinking and drive counterintuitively, isn't
it? "To move the trailer to the right, turn the steering wheel to the
left." Then I look at double and triple trailers and get all goosey.

I do not think that you can back up with doubles or triples.

I do back up fine with a trailer when I can turn my head around and
look back. But I cannot do it with mirrors. I think, that it would
take a day of practice to get it.

When you get a trailer, you need to give one of these paint jobs.
http://www.vplanet.org/2006/rw/thrw080906.htm

--
Gary A. Gorgen | "From ideas to PRODUCTS"
| Tunxis Design Inc.
| Cupertino, Ca. 95014
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

wrote in message
Larry Jaques wrote:
Add trailers and things get giggly pretty quickly.

Backing downhill around a corner in the rain after dark with a trailer
is when it gets truly interesting.

Not for me, man!

Backing a trailer straight across an open parking lot is a challenge for me.

It's hard to reverse your thinking and drive counterintuitively, isn't
it? "To move the trailer to the right, turn the steering wheel to the
left." Then I look at double and triple trailers and get all goosey.

I do not think that you can back up with doubles or triples.

I do back up fine with a trailer when I can turn my head around and
look back. But I cannot do it with mirrors. I think, that it would
take a day of practice to get it.

When you get a trailer, you need to give one of these paint jobs.
http://www.vplanet.org/2006/rw/thrw080906.htm

This is very amazing, I am very impressed. The only problem is that I
am looking for a flatbed.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 03 Feb 2012 10:46:18 -0500, "Steve W."
wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:
I've heard people say similar things about fire trucks. I'm sure you have a
natural talent for driving, and that everything worked out, some how.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

The only time I get stressed driving any fire vehicles are in parades.
Lot's of loose kids around a large vehicle that has HUGE blind spots.

Parades? SPOTTERS!

Your head can't move fast enough, even at 5 MPH - you need help.

You assign the other adult riders to ride out on the running boards,
and/or walk alongside the front and rear corners, and give them all
police whistles on lanyards or other means of getting your attention.

It's even worse on real parade floats, often the driver is buried deep
inside with only a little slot to see out of, or only CCTV cameras and
monitors, and a view down to a blue stripe on the street - there's a
reason they have spotters walking alongside that are in radio contact
with the driver.

And some of the performers on the floats have a "Kill Button" mounted
within easy reach (or a toe-tap) if they see a potential catastrophe
in progress.

-- Bruce --
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve W." wrote in message
Steve B wrote:
[...]

One of the damnest things I ever saw in my life was in the movie of the
construction of Hoover Dam. They were using hard tired chain driven dump
trucks. This guy pops it in reverses, starts to go backward and raise the
bed, and then jumps up and sits on top of the seat, facing rearward, and
steering with his foot. If you ever get to Boulder City, or watch that
movie, watch for that scene. Of course, that was pre-OSHA.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:
I've heard people say similar things about fire trucks. I'm sure you have a
natural talent for driving, and that everything worked out, some how.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

The only time I get stressed driving any fire vehicles are in parades.
Lot's of loose kids around a large vehicle that has HUGE blind spots.

Parades? SPOTTERS!

Your head can't move fast enough, even at 5 MPH - you need help.

Even with spotters it's not a lot of fun at times.

You assign the other adult riders to ride out on the running boards,
and/or walk alongside the front and rear corners, and give them all
police whistles on lanyards or other means of getting your attention.

WALK!!!! WHAT!!!! in a parade .....

It's even worse on real parade floats, often the driver is buried deep
inside with only a little slot to see out of, or only CCTV cameras and
monitors, and a view down to a blue stripe on the street - there's a
reason they have spotters walking alongside that are in radio contact
with the driver.

And some of the performers on the floats have a "Kill Button" mounted
within easy reach (or a toe-tap) if they see a potential catastrophe
in progress.

-- Bruce --

Usually I manage to get a couple people to go but half the time it's
just 4 people for 2 rigs.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

rangerssuck wrote:

wrote:

Backing a trailer straight across an open parking lot is a challenge for
me.

It's hard to reverse your thinking and drive counterintuitively, isn't
it? "To move the trailer to the right, turn the steering wheel to the
left." Then I look at double and triple trailers and get all goosey.

For me the worst one was trying to taxi a Cessna 152 with the toe brakes. I
can't leave a straight wake behind a sailboat either.

jsw

I never had trouble taxiing - left brake = turn left, right brake =
turn right.

I had a horrible time getting my brain wired to that.

I've been told that if you sledded and built soap
box type coasting cars at an early age, which I
did, your mind takes an almost permanent intuitive
conditioning that right foot means go left and left
foot goes right.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-02-07, Jim Stewart wrote:
I never had trouble taxiing - left brake = turn left, right brake =
turn right.

I had a horrible time getting my brain wired to that.

Which brings up a related question. For 17.5 years, I drove cars with
automatic transmission. This is what I learned to drive in the first
place.

Now that I have this semi tractor with non-synchronized manual
transmission, I have great troubles adjusting my brains to operate the
transmission.

I am used to just driving, thinking about stuff, and using the gas
pedal only.

I am wondering if operating a manual trans is a skill that can
actually be learned, given my age of 40 and my past conditioning of
driving auto trans.

Is there any hope or not?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Stewart" wrote in message
rangerssuck wrote:
On Feb 3, 9:14 am, "Jim wrote:

For me the worst one was trying to taxi a Cessna 152 with the toe
brakes. jsw

I never had trouble taxiing - left brake = turn left, right brake =
turn right.

I had a horrible time getting my brain wired to that.

I've been told that if you sledded and built soap
box type coasting cars at an early age, which I
did, your mind takes an almost permanent intuitive
conditioning that right foot means go left and left
foot goes right.

The instructor said it was a problem with redirecting my driving-wheel
steering reflexes. The airplane swerved too fast to think about what to do,
the response had to be instinctive, like driving on ice which I did learn
fairly well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyslexia
Quite a few Mensans had trouble reading, which they said was from difficulty
distinguishing right from left. I had a terrible time teaching them how to
steer a canoe from the back end. To me it was immediately obvious from the
start and I couldn't understand their difficulties well enough to correct
them. I think they were mostly left-brained, very articulate but poor at
spatial relations.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lateral...brain_function

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-02-07, Jim wrote:
I never had trouble taxiing - left brake = turn left, right brake =
turn right.

I had a horrible time getting my brain wired to that.

Which brings up a related question. For 17.5 years, I drove cars with
automatic transmission. This is what I learned to drive in the first
place.

Now that I have this semi tractor with non-synchronized manual
transmission, I have great troubles adjusting my brains to operate the
transmission.

I am used to just driving, thinking about stuff, and using the gas
pedal only.

I am wondering if operating a manual trans is a skill that can
actually be learned, given my age of 40 and my past conditioning of
driving auto trans.

Is there any hope or not?

I am sure there is hope. There is always hope.

Listen to the engine sounds. They will tell you when to shift up or
down. Someday you will even learn to shift without using the clutch.
Good skill when you are all alone in the boonies with an inoperable clutch.

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus465" wrote in message

I am used to just driving, thinking about stuff, and using the gas
pedal only.

I am wondering if operating a manual trans is a skill that can
actually be learned, given my age of 40 and my past conditioning of
driving auto trans.

Is there any hope or not?

I have to keep an ear tuned to the pitch of the engine, and establish a
preset downshift routine for distracting situations like tight corners.

If you think that's hard, consider a dirt bike. Right hand throttle and
front brake, left hand clutch, right foot rear brake, left foot the
sequential gearshift, with an indicator only for Neutral. When sliding
through a corner all four are doing something different. The front brake is
on the left on a bicycle which adds to the confusion.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Paul Drahn" wrote in message
... Listen to the engine sounds. They will tell you when to shift up or
down. Someday you will even learn to shift without using the clutch. Good
skill when you are all alone in the boonies with an inoperable clutch.
Paul

My mother taught me that, and double-clutching when the synchros fail. I've
lost the clutch twice and I'm glad I learned.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-02-07, Jim Stewart wrote:
I never had trouble taxiing - left brake = turn left, right brake =
turn right.

I had a horrible time getting my brain wired to that.

Which brings up a related question. For 17.5 years, I drove cars with
automatic transmission. This is what I learned to drive in the first
place.

Now that I have this semi tractor with non-synchronized manual
transmission, I have great troubles adjusting my brains to operate the
transmission.

I am used to just driving, thinking about stuff, and using the gas
pedal only.

I am wondering if operating a manual trans is a skill that can
actually be learned, given my age of 40 and my past conditioning of
driving auto trans.

Is there any hope or not?

Unless you're a brain dead idiot it isn't hard top learn. BUT If you
really want to learn take a driving class for trucks. Usually successful
completion of a class also gets you reduced insurance costs and you get
real world practice actually driving.

Be advised that you will NOT be "just driving, thinking about stuff,
and using the gas pedal only" in a rig. If you do that you may as well
plan on crushing a few cars and having lot's of trouble. In a rig you
need to pay attention ALL the time. Even a minor slip with 20-30 tons
will do a serious amount of damage.

You have learned how to double clutch correct? If not I hope you have
lot's of money to repair/replace transmission parts.

--
Steve W.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Jim wrote in message
rangerssuck wrote:
On Feb 3, 9:14 am, "Jim wrote:

[...]

The Marine Corps method:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eXFxttxeaA

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-02-07, Jim wrote:
[...]

Thanks.

Someone showed me how to do it with my semi tractor. I can do it
shifting when accelerating, but now when slowing down.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Paul Drahn wrote:
On 2/7/2012 9:47 AM, Ignoramus465 wrote:

(...)

Is there any hope or not?

I am sure there is hope. There is always hope.

Indeed there is. Our brains change to accommodate
new information.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuroplasticity

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 07 Feb 2012 09:29:26 -0800, Jim Stewart
wrote:

rangerssuck wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Driving a farm tractor, and in particular ploughing, trains you for
right foot = right, left foot = left.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 07 Feb 2012 11:47:21 -0600, Ignoramus465

On 2012-02-07, Jim Stewart wrote:
I never had trouble taxiing - left brake = turn left, right brake =
turn right.

I had a horrible time getting my brain wired to that.

Which brings up a related question. For 17.5 years, I drove cars with
automatic transmission. This is what I learned to drive in the first
place.

Now that I have this semi tractor with non-synchronized manual
transmission, I have great troubles adjusting my brains to operate the
transmission.

I am used to just driving, thinking about stuff, and using the gas
pedal only.

I am wondering if operating a manual trans is a skill that can
actually be learned, given my age of 40 and my past conditioning of
driving auto trans.

Is there any hope or not?

It CAN be learned - even at 40. By some people. Some can NEVER
develop the co-ordination required - particularly for a "crash-box".

The clutch is only used for starting and disengaging under load.
Barely ever use it for shifting.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-02-07, Jim wrote:
[...]

He needs to read and understand the tach first before letting the
sound of the engine tell him.

He needs to know X rpm at Y speed in A gear, and X1 RPM at Y speed in
B gear, etc so he will match speeds on the shift. Say 2200 in fist
gear = 10MPH, and 1200 RPM in second at the same speed. To shift to
second he revs the diesel to 2200 RPM, backs off the throttle enough
to unload the gears, knocks it out of gear, drops the tach to 1200 and
pulls the lever into second. Downshifting he drops the rpm to 1200 in
second, unloads the gears with the throttle, pulls it out of gear,
brings the tach to 2200 and pulls the lever into first. Eventually he
will know what 2200 sounds like. And what 1200 sounds like.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 2012-02-07, Jim Stewart wrote:
[...]

Ooooh...your synchro rings must have had a short life -- or you had a
near-perfect sense of relative speeds and timing.

Or you had a crash box with no synchro rings, and even better
coordination.

I had a racing, close-ratio crash box in my MG. Once I got it, it was
Ok. What I worried about was how much damage I did while learning to
do it.

It was much more difficult at road speeds than at racing speeds.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 07 Feb 2012 14:01:26 -0500, "Steve W."

Ignoramus465 wrote:
On 2012-02-07, Jim Stewart wrote:
[...]

Double clutch?

Until he can shift WITHOUT the clutch he's no trucker - and he can't
drive a standard either.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 4 Feb 2012 17:18:17 -0800 (PST), rangerssuck

wrote:

Done deal, registered without problems.

I almost had a heart attack when I learned that registration fee for a
80,000 lbs plate would be $3k per year. For now, I registered it for a
lot less weight just to pay less, until I get a trailer. Then I will
know how much registration I need.

Â*How bad did the insurance hurt?????

On 2012-02-01, Ignoramus32500 wrote:
I bought a semi tractor on auction and received a title, not only
without my name, but also without any signature of the seller (which
is a company, not an individual, closing down a factory). The purchase
is 100% legitimate. When I was at the DMV registering a title for
something else, I observed that they did not check the signature in
any way (obviously).

If I decide to keep this tractor, which I likely would, should I just
have, say, my wife sign it with something, in order to re-register?

In NJ, you can not register a vehicle without proof of insurance.

You can register a vehicle but you cannot plate it? Register it in
your name, but no valid plate or "sticker"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 4, 7:40??pm, Ignoramus27096 ignoramus27...@NOSPAM.

On 2012-02-01, Ignoramus32500 wrote:
I bought a semi tractor on auction and received a title, not only
without my name, but also without any signature of the seller (which
is a company, not an individual, closing down a factory). The purchase
is 100% legitimate. When I was at the DMV registering a title for
something else, I observed that they did not check the signature in
any way (obviously).

If I decide to keep this tractor, which I likely would, should I just
have, say, my wife sign it with something, in order to re-register?

In NJ, you can not register a vehicle without proof of insurance.

You can register a vehicle but you cannot plate it? Register it in
your name, but no valid plate or "sticker"

My bobtail is, as of now, fully registered and plated. I got 26,000
lbs plates for it. The plate is on it. While I do have insurance on
other vehicles, I have not purchased insurance for this bobtail, so I
do not drive it on public roads. I drive it on my property.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus465 wrote:
On 2012-02-07, Jim Stewart wrote:
[...]

Give the guy a chance, He hasn't needed the clutch other than to stop so
far...

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

rangerssuck wrote:

wrote:
[...]

And road racing trains you for heel-and-toe double-clutch downshifting
while trail-braking at the same time.

I don't recommend that Iggy starts there. I wonder if I can still do
it? d8-)

I was faced with that test last year when a gent asked me if I wanted to
drive his dirt car. Told him I was a bit rusty since I hadn't been in a
seat for over 3 years. Amazed me that my body still knew the tricks, BUT
I don't recall ever hurting as much when I got out of the seat.....

--
Steve W.