Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_4_] Steve W.[_4_] is offline

Default OT unsigned title

Bruce L. Bergman (munged human readable) wrote:
On Fri, 03 Feb 2012 10:46:18 -0500, "Steve W."
wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:
I've heard people say similar things about fire trucks. I'm sure you have a
natural talent for driving, and that everything worked out, some how.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

The only time I get stressed driving any fire vehicles are in parades.
Lot's of loose kids around a large vehicle that has HUGE blind spots.

Parades? SPOTTERS!

Your head can't move fast enough, even at 5 MPH - you need help.

Even with spotters it's not a lot of fun at times.

You assign the other adult riders to ride out on the running boards,
and/or walk alongside the front and rear corners, and give them all
police whistles on lanyards or other means of getting your attention.

WALK!!!! WHAT!!!! in a parade .....

It's even worse on real parade floats, often the driver is buried deep
inside with only a little slot to see out of, or only CCTV cameras and
monitors, and a view down to a blue stripe on the street - there's a
reason they have spotters walking alongside that are in radio contact
with the driver.

And some of the performers on the floats have a "Kill Button" mounted
within easy reach (or a toe-tap) if they see a potential catastrophe
in progress.

-- Bruce --

Usually I manage to get a couple people to go but half the time it's
just 4 people for 2 rigs.

--
Steve W.