Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT unsigned title

I bought a semi tractor on auction and received a title, not only
without my name, but also without any signature of the seller (which
is a company, not an individual, closing down a factory). The purchase
is 100% legitimate. When I was at the DMV registering a title for
something else, I observed that they did not check the signature in
any way (obviously).

If I decide to keep this tractor, which I likely would, should I just
have, say, my wife sign it with something, in order to re-register?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 31, 8:09*pm, Ignoramus32500 ignoramus32...@NOSPAM.
32500.invalid wrote:
I bought a semi tractor on auction and received a title, not only
without my name, but also without any signature of the seller (which
is a company, not an individual, closing down a factory). The purchase
is 100% legitimate. When I was at the DMV registering a title for
something else, I observed that they did not check the signature in
any way (obviously).

If I decide to keep this tractor, which I likely would, should I just
have, say, my wife sign it with something, in order to re-register?

You could probably just scribble something illegible, and nobody would
bat an eyelash. I doubt the EVER check the signature against something
on file. If the tractor (and its title) is stolen, they'd have its VIN
in a database of stolen vehicles, which I'm sure they DO check. If you
go in with it unsigned, they would likely kick it out, and you'd just
have to wait for another day (and, if you're from around here, another
interminable wait on line at DMV).
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus32500" wrote in message
I bought a semi tractor on auction and received a title, not only
without my name, but also without any signature of the seller (which
is a company, not an individual, closing down a factory). The purchase
is 100% legitimate. When I was at the DMV registering a title for
something else, I observed that they did not check the signature in
any way (obviously).

If I decide to keep this tractor, which I likely would, should I just
have, say, my wife sign it with something, in order to re-register?

Call the DMV (from a payphone if you can find one) and ask them what to do.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus32500 wrote:

I bought a semi tractor on auction and received a title, not only
without my name, but also without any signature of the seller (which
is a company, not an individual, closing down a factory). The purchase
is 100% legitimate. When I was at the DMV registering a title for
something else, I observed that they did not check the signature in
any way (obviously).

If I decide to keep this tractor, which I likely would, should I just
have, say, my wife sign it with something, in order to re-register?

They probably pay much more attention to the bill of sale, especially
because they tax you on the sale price. At least in Missouri, the
title is not that important, it is the records in the DMV that are
important. Commercial sellers submit backup paperwork to the DMV,
and after those documents pass muster, and you pay the sales tax, the
state issues a NEW title to you.

I think the title is more important in person-person sales, and then
they have to be notarized.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 1/31/2012 7:09 PM, Ignoramus32500 wrote:
I bought a semi tractor on auction and received a title, not only
without my name, but also without any signature of the seller (which
is a company, not an individual, closing down a factory). The purchase
is 100% legitimate. When I was at the DMV registering a title for
something else, I observed that they did not check the signature in
any way (obviously).

If I decide to keep this tractor, which I likely would, should I just
have, say, my wife sign it with something, in order to re-register?

You should organize the business in whatever way your accountant says is
most beneficial to you and in a manner that protects your private assets
from the commercial ones.

Once that's done, how to register the vehicle is clear--concomitant w/
the above plan.

Whether you have trouble w/ the lack of signature on transfer will
depend in all likelihood on the state/nature of the bill of sale and the
nature of local regulation where you are. I can envision it being
everything from no issue to a stopper all depending on the totality of
the circumstances. Registering it as an individual rather than a
business is likely to raise more eyebrows and questions besides the
obvious undesirability of same from the liability standpoint previously
discussed at length.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim Wescott wrote:
On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 20:57:30 -0600, Jon Elson wrote:

Ignoramus32500 wrote:

I bought a semi tractor on auction and received a title, not only
without my name, but also without any signature of the seller (which is
a company, not an individual, closing down a factory). The purchase is
100% legitimate. When I was at the DMV registering a title for
something else, I observed that they did not check the signature in any
way (obviously).

If I decide to keep this tractor, which I likely would, should I just
have, say, my wife sign it with something, in order to re-register?

Contact the DMV. NY at least requires the title be signed by either the
owner if it's an individual or by an "authorized person" in the event
you're buying it from a company. No signature gets you no transfer or
registration because only the title is proof of ownership. (unless it's
a pre-72 vehicle as they didn't have titles)

Having your wife sign is very likely considered fraud because she is
neither an owner or the authorized person. That person would be the one
who is actually the employee of the company overseeing the closure.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus32500 wrote:

If I decide to keep this tractor, which I likely would, should I just
have, say, my wife sign it with something, in order to re-register?

When faced with these situations, ask yourself, "What is the right, proper,
honest, legal thing to do?" Then do it. It is much easier than devising
schemes that somehow always get in back of you and bite you. And avoid
buying things in the future that are questionable.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus32500 wrote:

[...]

This could not be fraud, because I own the vehicle legitimately.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-02-01, Steve B wrote:

Ignoramus32500 wrote:

If I decide to keep this tractor, which I likely would, should I just
have, say, my wife sign it with something, in order to re-register?

When faced with these situations, ask yourself, "What is the right, proper,
honest, legal thing to do?" Then do it. It is much easier than devising
schemes that somehow always get in back of you and bite you. And avoid
buying things in the future that are questionable.

Steve

This is not a questionable semi tractor.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 2/1/2012 11:51 AM, Ignoramus22461 wrote:

This could not be fraud, because I own the vehicle legitimately.

It certainly isn't _intended_ to be fraud, agreed, but you _don't_ (yet)
own the vehicle outright until the legalities have been completed as
required and you have a (clear) title in your possession...

As I and others have pointed out, only by going to DMV and finding out
the actual hoops to jump through and then jumping through them
(undoubtedly also in the proper order and w/ the corresponding changing
hands of sufficient lucre and proof of insurance, etc., etc., etc., ...)

Just go do it--after, of course, determining just _how_ it's to be
registered to begin with (to be repetitive ). There's no point in
posting these kinds of questions here--we can't know all the ins and
outs of your particular situation that are pertinent even if somebody
does know the precise rules and regulations for the locale.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-02-01, Steve B wrote:

Ignoramus32500 wrote:

If I decide to keep this tractor, which I likely would, should I just
have, say, my wife sign it with something, in order to re-register?

When faced with these situations, ask yourself, "What is the right,
proper,
honest, legal thing to do?" Then do it. It is much easier than devising
schemes that somehow always get in back of you and bite you. And avoid
buying things in the future that are questionable.

Steve

This is not a questionable semi tractor.

Sorry. Should have said, goods with questionable paperwork, titles, or
ownership.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 2/1/2012 12:09 PM, Steve B wrote:

Then what's the issue? Oh, yeah. Missing title....

AIUI, the title isn't missing, only that the previous owner didn't sign
on the transfer line before turning same over to iggy...

If so, his easiest theoretical solution is to return to the previous
owner w/ said title in hand and obtain a signature on it from a duly
authorized employee of the company (in presence of whatever, if any,
witnesses are req'd by his local laws/regulations) and then proceed to
the next step.

As apparently this was an outfit going out of business, that may not be
as easy as one might hope.

If that isn't feasible, undoubtedly there's a way for him to rectify the
situation; clearly it won't be the first/only such transaction of such
type to have ever occurred in his state. He just needs to

a) determine how the vehicle should be registered, and
b) go to DMV and get the job done per their instruction (hoping the
hoops aren't too many, high, expensive, etc., etc., etc., ...)

IMO, a) above is by far the most critical.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-02-01, dpb wrote:
On 2/1/2012 12:09 PM, Steve B wrote:

Then what's the issue? Oh, yeah. Missing title....

AIUI, the title isn't missing, only that the previous owner didn't sign
on the transfer line before turning same over to iggy...

Yes, I have the title, paid for the trailer, and have a paid invoice.

The problem is that they did not sign the title.

If so, his easiest theoretical solution is to return to the previous
owner w/ said title in hand and obtain a signature on it from a duly
authorized employee of the company (in presence of whatever, if any,
witnesses are req'd by his local laws/regulations) and then proceed to
the next step.

As apparently this was an outfit going out of business, that may not be
as easy as one might hope.

If that isn't feasible, undoubtedly there's a way for him to rectify the
situation; clearly it won't be the first/only such transaction of such
type to have ever occurred in his state. He just needs to

a) determine how the vehicle should be registered, and
b) go to DMV and get the job done per their instruction (hoping the
hoops aren't too many, high, expensive, etc., etc., etc., ...)

IMO, a) above is by far the most critical.

I will make a few calls now.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-02-01, Steve B wrote:

Ignoramus32500 wrote:

If I decide to keep this tractor, which I likely would, should I just
have, say, my wife sign it with something, in order to re-register?

When faced with these situations, ask yourself, "What is the right,
proper,
honest, legal thing to do?" Then do it. It is much easier than devising
schemes that somehow always get in back of you and bite you. And avoid
buying things in the future that are questionable.

Steve

This is not a questionable semi tractor.

Sorry. Should have said, goods with questionable paperwork, titles, or
ownership.

Steve

I called Chicago DMV. I said, I have a vehicle and title, but they
forgot to sign it.

Her answer was "we will only know if you tell us".

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 2/1/2012 1:24 PM, Ignoramus22461 wrote:

I called Chicago DMV. I said, I have a vehicle and title, but they
forgot to sign it.

Her answer was "we will only know if you tell us".

See how easy that was? Next time, try the obvious firstest, maybe...

As noted previously, I could see it going from that extreme on the one
end to a royal pita can 'o worms to clean up on the other and many
levels of grief in between but there was no way for anybody here to have
any real useful input...other than I _still_ say the actual
determination of how it should be titled in the end is the critical
point that needs addressing up front 'cuz it has potentially very large
ramifications down the road that have the potential to be very costly if
the undesired were to occur...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus32500 wrote:

[...]

You don't own it if the title is unsigned by the employee designated by
the company to liquidate the assets of the company. They are the ONLY
legal signer for that document.

All you have to do is CALL the DMV and they will tell you what has to be
done. How damn hard is that.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus32500 wrote:

I have not decided how to register it, but that was not my question,
my question is what to do with a blank title.

At least in Missouri, and with a commercial dealer as the seller, the title
is a worthless piece of fancy paper. What COUNTS is the documents submitted
directly by the dealer to the DMV. They will issue a NEW title made out to
you after you pay the property taxes on the vehicle and register it.
At least, this is what happens in MO when you buy a vehicle for cash.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 2/1/2012 3:00 PM, Jon Elson wrote:
Ignoramus32500 wrote:

I have not decided how to register it, but that was not my question,
my question is what to do with a blank title.

At least in Missouri, and with a commercial dealer as the seller, the title
is a worthless piece of fancy paper. What COUNTS is the documents submitted
directly by the dealer to the DMV. They will issue a NEW title made out to
you after you pay the property taxes on the vehicle and register it.
At least, this is what happens in MO when you buy a vehicle for cash.

Well, that's likely what would happen in IL, too, if it were actually a
dealer. This is/was a private sale/auction, though.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-02-01, Steve B wrote:

Ignoramus32500 wrote:

If I decide to keep this tractor, which I likely would, should I just
have, say, my wife sign it with something, in order to re-register?

When faced with these situations, ask yourself, "What is the right,
proper,
honest, legal thing to do?" Then do it. It is much easier than devising
schemes that somehow always get in back of you and bite you. And avoid
buying things in the future that are questionable.

Steve

This is not a questionable semi tractor.

Sorry. Should have said, goods with questionable paperwork, titles, or
ownership.

Steve

I called Chicago DMV. I said, I have a vehicle and title, but they
forgot to sign it.

Her answer was "we will only know if you tell us".

CLUE: They don't give a flying f**k.

--
Never trouble another for what you can do for yourself.
-- Thomas Jefferson
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

news:7J6dnWRv8s0x5rTSnZ2dnUVZ_jSdnZ2d@giganews. com...
On 2012-02-01, Steve B wrote:

Ignoramus32500 wrote:

[...]

As I said, the only reason for having a signature is to make it
"legal." It has nothing to do with the vehicle being stolen. That
would show up in a database of stolen vehicle VINs.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"dpb" wrote in message ...
[...]

In my life, I have learned a few things. One of them is that questionable
titled goods are a potential can of worms. Yes, they can be straightened
out, but sometimes not to the satisfaction of the buyer. Unless one is
fully knowledgeable about the laws and procedures, a pass on such goods, no
matter how low the price may be the smart thing. In other cases, the low
low price is worth a little leg work, and pays off. And in some case, the
goods are confiscated for some legal reason, and the buyer is left holding
his ****. In that case, having questionable goods on property may just
provoke a string of dominoes regarding everything else there.

In this case, the solution was simple. Just ask the proper questions of the
proper people. I just noticed and pointed out that it seemed odd the first
idea was a shady one.

YMMV, and all that.

Steve

www.heartsurgerysurvivalguide.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus32500 wrote:

I have not decided how to register it, but that was not my question,
my question is what to do with a blank title.

At least in Missouri, and with a commercial dealer as the seller, the
title
is a worthless piece of fancy paper. What COUNTS is the documents
submitted
directly by the dealer to the DMV. They will issue a NEW title made out
to you after you pay the property taxes on the vehicle and register it.
At least, this is what happens in MO when you buy a vehicle for cash.

Well, that's likely what would happen in IL, too, if it were actually a
dealer. This is/was a private sale/auction, though.

OK, I thought Iggy bought this at some kind of auction. As it is a
commercial vehicle, there may be some different rules to title transfer.
Anyway, the bill of sale is still likely to be more important. But, the
DMV may need some paperwork sent directly from the seller to confirm they
intend to transfer the title.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus32500 wrote:

[...]

I will go there on Saturday with the title and the auction invoice to
be the "bill of sale". I will post an update.

I am already driving this truck around my building, just to learn its
operation. Just driving in 1st speed. I never drove a stick shift
vehicle before. It is very different.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus10043 wrote:

I am already driving this truck around my building, just to learn its
operation. Just driving in 1st speed. I never drove a stick shift
vehicle before. It is very different.

And going uphill and downhill is very different
with a manual transmission as well.
Add trailers and things get giggly pretty quickly.

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus32500 wrote:

[...]

Go to the Sec o' States office in Melrose Park. It's on Mannheim, just north
of North Ave.
They are the fastest, most organized and friendliest DMV office I've ever
been to.

Damn, I just checked. They are closed on Saturday.
Looks like you're stuck with Lombard.
They seem to be the only one out there with Sat hours. 7:30 - 12:00.

Paul K. Dickman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-02-02, Winston wrote:
Ignoramus10043 wrote:

I am already driving this truck around my building, just to learn its
operation. Just driving in 1st speed. I never drove a stick shift
vehicle before. It is very different.

And going uphill and downhill is very different
with a manual transmission as well.
Add trailers and things get giggly pretty quickly.

I already got stuck in mud once... But got out once I figured out how
to use the truck and locked the diff.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus32500 wrote:

[...]

They are awesome, but they do not do titles.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-02-02, wrote:
Ignoramus10043 wrote:

I am already driving this truck around my building, just to learn its
operation. Just driving in 1st speed. I never drove a stick shift
vehicle before. It is very different.

And going uphill and downhill is very different
with a manual transmission as well.
Add trailers and things get giggly pretty quickly.

I already got stuck in mud once... But got out once I figured out how
to use the truck and locked the diff.

If you approach this project in the same way you
approach everything else, I fully expect to see
"Iggy's Driving School" signs on that tractor
very soon.

I hope you are parking it in the space formerly
taken by the concrete truck.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-02-02, wrote:
Ignoramus10043 wrote:

I am already driving this truck around my building, just to learn its
operation. Just driving in 1st speed. I never drove a stick shift
vehicle before. It is very different.

And going uphill and downhill is very different
with a manual transmission as well.
Add trailers and things get giggly pretty quickly.

I already got stuck in mud once... But got out once I figured out how
to use the truck and locked the diff.

If you approach this project in the same way you
approach everything else, I fully expect to see
"Iggy's Driving School" signs on that tractor
very soon.

I hope you are parking it in the space formerly
taken by the concrete truck.

--Winston

The concrete guys are my neighbors, and I allow them to park their
trucks on my property, near the fence. I did get them to sign a paper
stating that they are parking with my permission, which can be revoked
at any time.

I park my semi tractor in front of the building, where I have a lot of
room. My land goes up to the telephone pole on the left:

http://binged.it/yNbET3

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 02 Feb 2012 13:50:20 -0800, Winston
wrote:

Ignoramus10043 wrote:

I am already driving this truck around my building, just to learn its
operation. Just driving in 1st speed. I never drove a stick shift
vehicle before. It is very different.

And going uphill and downhill is very different
with a manual transmission as well.
Add trailers and things get giggly pretty quickly.

Backing downhill around a corner in the rain after dark with a trailer
is when it gets truly interesting.

--
Never trouble another for what you can do for yourself.
-- Thomas Jefferson
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ignoramus10043 wrote:

I am already driving this truck around my building, just to learn its
operation. Just driving in 1st speed. I never drove a stick shift
vehicle before. It is very different.

And going uphill and downhill is very different
with a manual transmission as well.
Add trailers and things get giggly pretty quickly.

Backing downhill around a corner in the rain after dark with a trailer
is when it gets truly interesting.

Not for me, man!

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 02 Feb 2012 15:39:10 -0600, Ignoramus10043

Ignoramus32500 wrote:

[...]

Never drove a stick shift before..and now you own a semi?

Gnerk!

Enjoy the learning experince.
It will be a long one.

Gunner

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus32500 wrote:

[...]

You bet, it will be. I will practice at least 20 minutes every day.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Winston" wrote in message
Larry Jaques wrote:
Add trailers and things get giggly pretty quickly.

Backing downhill around a corner in the rain after dark with a trailer
is when it gets truly interesting.

Not for me, man!

--Winston

Backing a trailer straight across an open parking lot is a challenge for me.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 3 Feb 2012 07:32:37 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Winston" wrote in message
Larry Jaques wrote:
Add trailers and things get giggly pretty quickly.

Backing downhill around a corner in the rain after dark with a trailer
is when it gets truly interesting.

Not for me, man!

Backing a trailer straight across an open parking lot is a challenge for me.

It's hard to reverse your thinking and drive counterintuitively, isn't
it? "To move the trailer to the right, turn the steering wheel to the
left." Then I look at double and triple trailers and get all goosey.

--
Never trouble another for what you can do for yourself.
-- Thomas Jefferson
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Backing a trailer straight across an open parking lot is a challenge for
me.

It's hard to reverse your thinking and drive counterintuitively, isn't
it? "To move the trailer to the right, turn the steering wheel to the
left." Then I look at double and triple trailers and get all goosey.

For me the worst one was trying to taxi a Cessna 152 with the toe brakes. I
can't leave a straight wake behind a sailboat either.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

wrote in message
Larry Jaques wrote:
Add trailers and things get giggly pretty quickly.

Backing downhill around a corner in the rain after dark with a trailer
is when it gets truly interesting.

Not for me, man!

Backing a trailer straight across an open parking lot is a challenge for me.

It's hard to reverse your thinking and drive counterintuitively, isn't
it? "To move the trailer to the right, turn the steering wheel to the
left." Then I look at double and triple trailers and get all goosey.

I give lots of room and respect to semis backing
into driveways in traffic. It is very rare to see
them take more than just one try. I couldn't do that
to save my life.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Winston" wrote in message
Larry Jaques wrote:
Add trailers and things get giggly pretty quickly.

Backing downhill around a corner in the rain after dark with a trailer
is when it gets truly interesting.

Not for me, man!

Backing a trailer straight across an open parking lot is a challenge for me.

It's hard to reverse your thinking and drive counterintuitively, isn't
it? "To move the trailer to the right, turn the steering wheel to the
left." Then I look at double and triple trailers and get all goosey.

I do not think that you can back up with doubles or triples.

I do back up fine with a trailer when I can turn my head around and
look back. But I cannot do it with mirrors. I think, that it would
take a day of practice to get it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Backing a trailer straight across an open parking lot is a challenge for
me.

It's hard to reverse your thinking and drive counterintuitively, isn't
it? *"To move the trailer to the right, turn the steering wheel to the
left." *Then I look at double and triple trailers and get all goosey.

For me the worst one was trying to taxi a Cessna 152 with the toe brakes. I
can't leave a straight wake behind a sailboat either.

jsw

I never had trouble taxiing - left brake = turn left, right brake =
turn right. The "problem" I had with cessnas is the blasted rear-view
mirror. A minute after takeoff, looking in the mirror SHOULD show the
runway right behind you. Never happened for me - it was always off to
one side or the other. Of course this wasn't the plane's fault, but if
it didn't have that blasted mirror, I never would have known ;-)