Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson Jon Elson is offline

Default OT unsigned title

Ignoramus32500 wrote:

I bought a semi tractor on auction and received a title, not only
without my name, but also without any signature of the seller (which
is a company, not an individual, closing down a factory). The purchase
is 100% legitimate. When I was at the DMV registering a title for
something else, I observed that they did not check the signature in
any way (obviously).

If I decide to keep this tractor, which I likely would, should I just
have, say, my wife sign it with something, in order to re-register?

They probably pay much more attention to the bill of sale, especially
because they tax you on the sale price. At least in Missouri, the
title is not that important, it is the records in the DMV that are
important. Commercial sellers submit backup paperwork to the DMV,
and after those documents pass muster, and you pay the sales tax, the
state issues a NEW title to you.

I think the title is more important in person-person sales, and then
they have to be notarized.

Jon