Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Motorcycle without a title

An upcoming auction nearby advertises an attractive motorcycle that is
"without a title".

I am highly reluctant to even consider, because I do not think that I
could register or sell it. I wanted to double check here to see if
there is any way to register a non-titled motorcycle, which I doubt is
the case.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus19458 wrote:
An upcoming auction nearby advertises an attractive motorcycle that is
"without a title".

I am highly reluctant to even consider, because I do not think that I
could register or sell it. I wanted to double check here to see if
there is any way to register a non-titled motorcycle, which I doubt is
the case.

I was able to title and register a 64 Honda S90
in California. It took my best Gandhi technique
at the DMV to find the right person and get her
in a cooperative mood. In the end, I got a title
and registration by completing a statement of
facts, a bill of sale, a physical check of
engine and frame serial numbers and a small
handful of cash for documents and "late fees".

I have heard that there's another technique.
Allegedly there are states that will title and
register a vehicle with nothing more than a
bill of sale. You send an agent the bill of
sale, he registers it in his state, sends the
paperwork back to you and you transfer the
registration to your state. Never tried it,
don't know if it works.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-09-20, Jon Anderson wrote:
On 9/20/2011 10:26 AM, Ignoramus19458 wrote:

I am highly reluctant to even consider, because I do not think that I
could register or sell it. I wanted to double check here to see if
there is any way to register a non-titled motorcycle, which I doubt is
the case.

In the 70's, I collected a fair number of Ducati singles, some without
title. Different state, and things have changed a lot here. But
basically, with a bill of sale and a signed non-op from the seller, DMV
would run the plates. If there were no tickets against it past the
expired license, it was a pretty simple matter to re-register it. Oh,
probably helped that my mom worked for DMV at the time and knew exactly
how to navigate the system.

I'd call your local DMV and ask first, can this be done these days, in
your state, and if so, what do you need from the seller/auctioneer to
cover yourself.

Jon

btw, you never got back to me regarding how old you think those erector
sets are.

I am guessing 1970s or 1980s...
thanks

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus19458 wrote:

An upcoming auction nearby advertises an attractive motorcycle that is
"without a title".

I am highly reluctant to even consider, because I do not think that I
could register or sell it. I wanted to double check here to see if
there is any way to register a non-titled motorcycle, which I doubt is
the case.

What state? In Mexifornia, you can take the VIN to the DMV and they can
either find the title, or generate a duplicate. Or, if it's a total orphan,
like smuggled into the country or something, they can probably make one
from scratch after a thorough inspection, but I can't swear to that.

Good Luck!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 20 Sep 2011 13:26:15 -0500, Ignoramus19458
wrote:

An upcoming auction nearby advertises an attractive motorcycle that is
"without a title".

I am highly reluctant to even consider, because I do not think that I
could register or sell it. I wanted to double check here to see if
there is any way to register a non-titled motorcycle, which I doubt is
the case.

Depending on state..and how long since the plates were last
registered..not having a title is really not a big deal.
Among the various things one can do..is simply take out a Mechanics Lein
on it, then take ownership and file for a new title.

Or repaint some stuff and declare it a Custom and so on and so forth.

Its not hard nor expensive. It just may take a few months, depending on
your state.

Im restoring a 1961 Indian..and I have the title..from 1967. Somewhere.
And its not in my name. But here in California..that sort of thing is
easy to do.

Just make sure you get a bill of sale!!

Now...do you know much about motorcycles and their operation?
That..I worry about when I hear Iggy and scooter....

Gunner

"In the history of mankind, there have always been men and women who's goal
in life is to take down nations. We have just elected such a man to run our
country." - David Lloyyd (2008)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

This is a Russian Ural motorcycle, hard to pass up.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 20 Sep 2011 13:34:40 -0700, Jim Stewart
wrote:

Ignoramus19458 wrote:
[...]

Correct and correct.

Gunner

"In the history of mankind, there have always been men and women who's goal
in life is to take down nations. We have just elected such a man to run our
country." - David Lloyyd (2008)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Oooh, they're cool, especially the ones with the two-wheel drive. Does it
have that? I'm told it's an option.

I've seen three or four of those things now, the first one ridden by a young
lady in Lexington, VA. The last one was in my town in NJ. They seem to be
getting popular.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 20 Sep 2011 15:59:10 -0500, Ignoramus19458
wrote:

On 2011-09-20, Jon Anderson wrote:
[...]

My Gilbert's Erector Set came to me in 1960. They'd been around for
quite a long while, though.

http://www.ideafinder.com/history/in...erectorset.htm

How did you date yours? The pictures on the boxes are a good guide.

--
A sound mind in a sound body is a short but full description
of a happy state in this world.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 20, 11:26*am, Ignoramus19458 ignoramus19...@NOSPAM.
19458.invalid wrote:
An upcoming auction nearby advertises an attractive motorcycle that is
"without a title".

I am highly reluctant to even consider, because I do not think that I
could register or sell it. I wanted to double check here to see if
there is any way to register a non-titled motorcycle, which I doubt is
the case.

Igor!

There are ways to get a new title, but they can be frustrating and
time consuming - So don't pay too much for the bike unless you're
willing to navigate that minefield - If the VIN comes up stolen you
just rolled Snake Eyes, and good luck unwinding the sale. If it's a
military bike coming in from Europe, that might be worth the hassles.

And you're being in Chicagoland, I guarantee that if you hit the wrong
clerk the process will be hella complicated unless you... {ahem}...
"grease the wheels" a little. (Research the vehicle codes and know
the process before you begin - it's in there. Then you'll know when
they deviate from the script.)

And if you can't tell, I'm Really not fond of doing things "The
Chicago Way". If it was me, the response would be "Will you take a
check? How do I spell your name, Mister..." and be prepared to run.
Then go find another DMV office - and this time have your pocket
recorder running.

Basically, you have to provide some sort of solid bill of sale or
proof of ownership - that goes back to the registered owner if you
can. They'll title search the existing VIN, and then there are
various ways they can get it issued a new title and tags. You might
have to post a small bond certificate in case the "real owner" shows
up and claims it.

And sometimes the state will insist on issuing you a new VIN that you
have to stamp into the chassis. This also happens on custom cars
and bikes and homemade trailers.

Or in my case, a Tow Dolly that had a factory issued VIN - that DEMCO
typed on a sticker 25 years ago, there's no way in hell you can read
it now. I called the factory, it's not stamped on the axle, they
didn't start that till recently. Only saving grace is, it doesn't
really need title and tags to use it - but it might be nice to ID it
if it does ever "walk away."

-- Bruce --
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus19458" wrote in message
An upcoming auction nearby advertises an attractive motorcycle that is
"without a title".

I am highly reluctant to even consider, because I do not think that I
could register or sell it. I wanted to double check here to see if
there is any way to register a non-titled motorcycle, which I doubt is
the case.

Parts only, but even then, if the numbers are from a HOT bike, you could be
in more trouble than any money you could make off the bike.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 20, 1:26*pm, Ignoramus19458 ignoramus19...@NOSPAM.
19458.invalid wrote:
An upcoming auction nearby advertises an attractive motorcycle that is
"without a title".

I am highly reluctant to even consider, because I do not think that I
could register or sell it. I wanted to double check here to see if
there is any way to register a non-titled motorcycle, which I doubt is
the case.

No...move on...your time is better spent on other stuff.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/20/2011 6:57 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

How did you date yours? The pictures on the boxes are a good guide.

In the mid 80's my brother worked for a hobby shop that was into high
end RC stuff. He somewhere, somehow, made contact with someone in
Russia, and was trying to work a deal to import RC engines and other
hobby related stuff. I really don't know much about his dealings, other
than it fell apart, but he did get a shipment of stuff. He gave me two
erector type sets made in Russia.

I'm doing another FS Picasa album like I did for the books, but with
tools and stuff. I emailed the link to Iggy to see if he could translate
and tell me anything about them, and he responded that he wanted to buy
them, and the deal was done. I had thought they dated from maybe the
late 50's or early 60's, from the look of the components.

Iggy, if you ever build them up, post pics!

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

An upcoming auction nearby advertises an attractive motorcycle that is
"without a title".

I am highly reluctant to even consider, because I do not think that I
could register or sell it. I wanted to double check here to see if
there is any way to register a non-titled motorcycle, which I doubt is
the case.

I would just investigate for this case, and for future ones. I went to DMV
over a trailer that had no title. They had me fill out some papers that had
the VIN and explained how I got the trailer, etc. They issued me a new
title when the numbers came back clear. I don't know how sticky they are on
m/c vins, but I would think an old one would probably not be traced or even
recorded with as much diligence as a car or truck. The files and numbers
are probably buried by time and inattention. You may be pleasantly
surprised to find you can initiate a new paper trail. And if it is hot, you
just release it to the police, and after a time, you may have a chance to
buy it back. Again.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-09-22, Steve B wrote:
I would just investigate for this case, and for future ones. I went to DMV
over a trailer that had no title. They had me fill out some papers that had
the VIN and explained how I got the trailer, etc. They issued me a new
title when the numbers came back clear. I don't know how sticky they are on
m/c vins, but I would think an old one would probably not be traced or even
recorded with as much diligence as a car or truck. The files and numbers
are probably buried by time and inattention. You may be pleasantly
surprised to find you can initiate a new paper trail. And if it is hot, you
just release it to the police, and after a time, you may have a chance to
buy it back. Again.

Steve, I took a pass on it. It was a messy situation, a dealer selling
through another auctioneer's auction, looks like too much marketing,
too much hassle, and too little paper trail.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus10693" wrote in message
On 2011-09-22, Steve B wrote:
[...]

That's a shame, Iggy. Did you check with the DMV to see whether it would be
simple or not?

I've read through some of the posts here and wondered at how much trouble
some people seem to have had. I've recovered two motor vehicles that had no
title -- both in Michigan, and both in the early '70s. One was a car; they
identified the last registered owner and I gave him $10 to sign a note
saying he'd abandoned it. The other was a motorcycle. It had been written
off for insurance. All the DMV had to do was find the record that it had
been claimed as a loss, and they issued me a new title the same day.

It might be a lot simpler than you think. The VIN or whatever serial number
might be on it should give you enough to check with DMV to see what it's
status is. Then it might, or might not, take only ten minutes of paperwork.
At least you'd know.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus10693" wrote

Steve, I took a pass on it. It was a messy situation, a dealer selling
through another auctioneer's auction, looks like too much marketing,
too much hassle, and too little paper trail.

Yabbut ........ for future incidents, it may be profitable to at least
understand what the process is for your state. If it is not that big a
deal, maybe other bidders would be put off by a lack of title. That's when
you swoop in and get it cheap. If it is a long involved hassle, then pass.
But some motorcycles are worth more for parts than for the whole bike. A
friend of mine makes good dough on old obscure parts he finds at yard sales
and such. He was a racer in the sixties, and knows old stuff. He picks up
things for a buck that he then sells for waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than
that. Just know the law, know your parts, and then go from there.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-09-22, Steve B wrote:
[...]

Recently, Junior bought a write off bike from his wife's uncle (out of
province) and spent the winter getting it ready for the road only to
discover that this is not possible in Ontario. I guess there have
been too many cars coming in from the east with circumferential welds,
indicating that the front and rear suspension left the factory on
different vehicles, so no vehicle that has been written off can be
re-licence in Ontario. Fortunately, Junior made a profit by selling
the refurbished bike back to the uncle from whom he bought it.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada