Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B[_13_] Steve B[_13_] is offline

Default OT unsigned title

"Steve W." wrote in message
Steve B wrote:
"Ignoramus31868" wrote

I do back up fine with a trailer when I can turn my head around and
look back. But I cannot do it with mirrors. I think, that it would
take a day of practice to get it.

When you lookout the rear window with a box back there, all you can see
is the box.

Steve

Yep BIG slab sides and blind spots large enough to eat a bus. Not so bad
with good mirrors and open road but driving through crowded traffic gets
your attention. The only thing the rear window on a day cab is for is when
you do a lot of D&H work. Then you have a way to cheat lining up the
hitch.

Also keep in mind that practicing without a trailer on is somewhat of
limited value. Once you have a box back there things change a LOT.
You might want to look around for a short pup trailer, throw that on the
back and learn how to maneuver it around in reverse and you will learn a
lot more.
You learn to LOOK at everything when you back up. Overall height which
isn't usually a problem with a P/U pulled trailer now becomes another
obstacle.

--
Steve W.

One of the damnest things I ever saw in my life was in the movie of the
construction of Hoover Dam. They were using hard tired chain driven dump
trucks. This guy pops it in reverses, starts to go backward and raise the
bed, and then jumps up and sits on top of the seat, facing rearward, and
steering with his foot. If you ever get to Boulder City, or watch that
movie, watch for that scene. Of course, that was pre-OSHA.

Steve