Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce L. Bergman (munged human readable) Bruce L. Bergman (munged human readable) is offline

Default OT unsigned title

On Fri, 03 Feb 2012 10:46:18 -0500, "Steve W."
wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:
I've heard people say similar things about fire trucks. I'm sure you have a
natural talent for driving, and that everything worked out, some how.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

The only time I get stressed driving any fire vehicles are in parades.
Lot's of loose kids around a large vehicle that has HUGE blind spots.

Parades? SPOTTERS!

Your head can't move fast enough, even at 5 MPH - you need help.

You assign the other adult riders to ride out on the running boards,
and/or walk alongside the front and rear corners, and give them all
police whistles on lanyards or other means of getting your attention.

It's even worse on real parade floats, often the driver is buried deep
inside with only a little slot to see out of, or only CCTV cameras and
monitors, and a view down to a blue stripe on the street - there's a
reason they have spotters walking alongside that are in radio contact
with the driver.

And some of the performers on the floats have a "Kill Button" mounted
within easy reach (or a toe-tap) if they see a potential catastrophe
in progress.

-- Bruce --