Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Karl -- Bought a semi tractor Ford L9000

wrote:

On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 13:17:08 -0800 (PST), rangerssuck
wrote:

On Jan 10, 11:30Â pm, Ignoramus6358
wrote:
1984 Ford L9000, two rear axles, 374,000 miles, $2,300. I think that
they kept it inside their garage.

http://www.gaonlineauction.com/cgi-b...e5/350/showall

I got a couple of questions.

First, I do not know how to drive anything with a stick shift. How
hard is it to learn to drive this truck, with all those stick shifts,
air brakes etc?

Second, is it possible or not to add a "wet" hookup to it, in case if
I ever get a Landoll type of trailer with a hydraulic winch.

Third, is it correct to assume that I must obtain insurance on it
prior to even driving it to my place? (seems to be a yes)

Thanks

A) Get it towed to your place

B) Driving a manual is pretty easy, once you get a handle on starting.
The rest, you can do pretty much by ear.

C) go to a truck stop and pick up one of the truker's magazines or
newspapers they have - they're full of ads for insurance agents.

D) While at the truck stop, talk to people. It's likely that you can
find someone to teach you what you need to know for cheap or trade.

E) $2300 ?!?!? I hate you more and more with every passing day ;-)

His next CV Safety inspection will likely cost him half what he paid
for the truck - and the insurance possibly several times his purchase
price.

Quite possibly. He will need to do the math to compare the costs of
operating his own semi vs. contracting to get his stuff moved. If he's
doing enough business it may be worthwhile to operate his own.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 12 Jan 2012 08:32:52 -0600, someone said:
A) Get it towed to your place

Just -don't- use this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJt7uKX5qEk

--
We are always the same age inside.
-- Gertrude Stein
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 1/11/2012 9:57 PM, Ignoramus8177 wrote:

Inspection is inspection, wy does it need to be repeated before its due?

Don't know that it does, but "rules is rules" and every state will have
it's own...you just have to find out what applies wherever it is you are.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 1/12/2012 8:19 AM, Pete C. wrote:
Ignoramus13479 wrote:

Well, I do not know if this is comparable, they are using it daily and
it is driven by people who do not know how to drive it.

Yes, but the point is it likely won't be cheap regardless, and you will
have to work carefully to get the agent to understand your actual
limited use without getting them confused. You're moving off lots of
equipment from auctions to your shop a few times a month mostly I'd
think, probably well under 5,000mi/mo. If you do any delivery of the
larger machines I think that will expose you to much greater liability
and thus higher costs, vs. just bringing stuff you've purchased to your
shop.

Indeed, and it's unlikely they'll care (much). I took an old small farm
truck back to TN years ago to make trips to/from the sawmills just as
individual, not business. There was no one I could find in the entire
state that would insure it as just a personal vehicle even though the
weight and length were within those of a current dually PU; it had a
grain bed and lift and as soon as they saw it it was "commercial". At
that point, nothing else mattered; it might as well as had a 40k rating
as the 8k KS farm tag.

Lots of luck to Iggy on finding somebody with a little compassion on the
little guy.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus13479 wrote:

[...]

When I get a semi for my personal use, I'm going to get the biggest
sleeper cab I can find, upgrade it to a full camper and register it as
an RV

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-01-11, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus6358 wrote:

1984 Ford L9000, two rear axles, 374,000 miles, $2,300. I think that
they kept it inside their garage.

http://www.gaonlineauction.com/cgi-b...e5/350/showall

I got a couple of questions.

First, I do not know how to drive anything with a stick shift. How
hard is it to learn to drive this truck, with all those stick shifts,
air brakes etc?

Air brakes are simple enough, but a bit touchy. CDL wise you mostly need
to be able to understand the system and the required pre-trip safety
checks of slack adjusters and air pressure build and leakdown rates.

Driving a manual isn't that difficult, but the semis are slightly
different with double clutching vs. a typical manual pickup. The CDL
books should have a decent explanation on shifting. If you can rent a
semi with a semi-automatic transmission for your CDL road test it's a
good idea, one less thing to worry about on the test. The
semi-automatics are a bit of a hybrid, really they are a manual
transmission with computer control. You still have a clutch, but you
only use it when starting and stopping, after that the computer
power-shifts for you. Pretty neat really, the convenience of an auto and
the efficiency of a manual.

If you can I'd recommend learning to drive a manual on a pickup first
since it will be a bit more forgiving of missed shifts and whatnot while
you practice. I taught a friend how to drive a manual on my old pickup
in a couple hours, and with that truck it didn't care if he missed and
wend from 2nd to 5th when starting out. Normally you won't use the
lowest gear(s) at all unless you are pulling a load, i.e. start in 2nd.

Second, is it possible or not to add a "wet" hookup to it, in case if
I ever get a Landoll type of trailer with a hydraulic winch.

A wet line setup is simple enough to add, just a PTO powered hydraulic
pump. The Landoll type trailers I've seen all had onboard engines for
the hydraulics though.

Third, is it correct to assume that I must obtain insurance on it
prior to even driving it to my place? (seems to be a yes)

Insurance, registration and state inspections I expect. Don't skimp, the
fines would be big. The insurance won't be cheap either and your regular
insurance agent will most likely be clueless. Search online on truckers
sites for insurance companies that specialize in commercial insurance.

Thanks. I will have it towed, one way or another, and then I will take
my time with it.

I do not see any point in paying insurance for it until I find a
trailer, anyway, which could be a while.

I will find some unemployed CDL holder, to teach me how to drive this
truck, on my own property.

The truck has a current registration sticker until 6/12. The company
took good care of it.

BTW, the guy from the CDL road test truck rental place said that the
truck ran about $26k/yr for reg, inspections, insurance and whatnot. I
presume some of that relates to the extra risk of operating a training
truck with new drivers, but at any rate it isn't cheap.

Well, I do not know if this is comparable, they are using it daily and
it is driven by people who do not know how to drive it.

Yes, but the point is it likely won't be cheap regardless, and you will
have to work carefully to get the agent to understand your actual
limited use without getting them confused. You're moving off lots of
equipment from auctions to your shop a few times a month mostly I'd
think, probably well under 5,000mi/mo. If you do any delivery of the
larger machines I think that will expose you to much greater liability
and thus higher costs, vs. just bringing stuff you've purchased to your
shop.

My guess will be 500 miles per month tops.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-01-12, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Thu, 12 Jan 2012 08:32:52 -0600, someone said:
A) Get it towed to your place

Just -don't- use this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJt7uKX5qEk

I just ruined my keyboard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 2012-01-12, Larry wrote:

Very good idea. Call today, especially now that you broadcast it to
the world when you posted that you're uninsured. There are sneaky and
underhanded people out there, Ig.

I would think that they would seek out an insured person, rather.

The actual sharks seek out folks w/ deep pockets, regardless of whether
it's personal or the insurance carrier.

The problem for the uninsured is that unless you have been very careful
to have set this business up as a separate legal entity and gone through
all the proper hoops, the liability reverts to you, the sole proprietor,
as an individual and it's your personal fortune that is at risk, house,
savings, personal property, ...

I would say that if you haven't done it as well as simply the insurance,
you need to have a serious consultation on those issues as well as
tax/finance guy as well. You've got enough assets here that tax
consequences are not going to be insignificant and a good pro can
probably save you far more than his fees by proper structuring.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-01-11, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus6358 wrote:

[...]

Don't estimate it too low, you'll find that some agents won't want to
bother with it if it's too minimal.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/11/2012 7:58 PM, Ignoramus8177 wrote:

Don't judge the mileage by the odometer. Look at the upholstery to see
if it looks like the mileage is real. Are both seats identical
upholstery? The pictures show the driver's seat to be in great
condition. Perhaps too good? Have the seats been replaced?

Paul

They would not wind the odometer.

I saw the truck today, but I will not take possession until 1/30

Perhaps not. It's curious that the only instrument without it's original
bezel is the speedometer/odometer.

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve W." writes:

I was too busy to get it, I do not have building or liability
insurance yet. I will try to get something soon.

I hope you are not letting ANYONE in that building or on the land around
it then.

Insurance is a MAJOR priority. If you are "too busy" I hope you are also
VERY RICH.

Or very poor.
--
A host is a host from coast to
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 12 Jan 2012 06:31:42 -0800 (PST), the renowned rangerssuck

On Jan 12, 12:06*am, Ignoramus8177
On 2012-01-12, wrote:

Who insures your building? Who carries your company liability
insurance (you DO have commercial insurance, I assume????)

I was too busy to get it, I do not have building or liability
insurance yet. I will try to get something soon.

Soon, as in TODAY! You can get bare-bones commercial liability
insurance for real cheap. I pay $500 / yr for my commercial insurance
and worker's comp. 2 employees, $3M liability, and it also includes
coverage on my equipment, materials and work in progress.

$5 or $10K deductible?

All you need is for some creep to twist his/her ankle on your
property. As I was once advised by a lawyer, "You haven't had a
stomach ache until your name has been 'The Defendant'."

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 12 Jan 2012 08:56:31 -0600, dpb wrote:

On 1/11/2012 9:57 PM, Ignoramus8177 wrote:

Inspection is inspection, wy does it need to be repeated before its due?

Don't know that it does, but "rules is rules" and every state will have
it's own...you just have to find out what applies wherever it is you are.

In PA, cars don't need to be inspected at the time of sale. I don't
know if that applies to trucks.

RWL

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 21:57:12 -0600, Ignoramus8177

On 2012-01-12, dpb wrote:
On 1/11/2012 8:22 PM, ATP wrote:
lid wrote in message

I believe that the truck is current for inspection, having a 6/12
sticker.

Ilinois lets you keep the previous owner's inspection sticker?

I would expect the sticker goes w/ the truck at _least_ until it is
retitled.

Inspection is inspection, wy does it need to be repeated before its due?

In many places the inspection is required for title transfer.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 12 Jan 2012 06:12:51 -0600, Ignoramus13479

On 2012-01-11, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus6358 wrote:

[...]

And you currently fit that description. You have no Class A driving
experience and no commmercial insurance record so you will be in the
UBER-HIGH rate class.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 19:15:29 -0800, Paul Drahn

On 2012-01-11, Pete wrote:

Ignoramus6358 wrote:

[...]

The first thing I noticed was the speedo didn't seem to fit - like it
had been replaced with something different - but then I noticed the
bezel on the other instrument - missing on the speedo, which DOES look
original. I would suspect it was a local delivery truck, used for
trade shows etc, and that the mileage IS original.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-01-11, Pete wrote:

Ignoramus6358 wrote:

[...]

I would be shocked if the Morse Calipers company would mess with the
odometer at the time of closing. It would be so out of the
ordinary.

It is not some asshole shade tree used car dealer, you know.

They indeed used it for deliveries and stuff of that sort, for
corporate business. They maintained everything on a PM schedule.

It may have problems, of course, but doubtfully a tampered odometer.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-01-13, wrote:
On Thu, 12 Jan 2012 09:21:17 -0600, Ignoramus13479

On 2012-01-12, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Thu, 12 Jan 2012 06:14:07 -0600, Ignoramus13479

On 2012-01-12,
wrote:
Who insures your building? Who carries your company liability
insurance (you DO have commercial insurance, I assume????)

I was too busy to get it, I do not have building or liability
insurance yet. I will try to get something soon.

I hope you are not letting ANYONE in that building or on the land
around it then. Insurance is a MAJOR priority. If you are "too
busy" I hope you are also VERY RICH.

I agree. I will call around today or tomorrow.

Very good idea. Call today, especially now that you broadcast it to
the world when you posted that you're uninsured. There are sneaky and
underhanded people out there, Ig.

I would think that they would seek out an insured person, rather.

That said, all that people do in my building is walk in and pick up
their goods.

And one slip, perhaps in the icy parking lot, could bankrupt you if
they're the wrong person.

They will take everything YOU have if there are no deeper pockets
involved.

I hear a lot of this stuff. I do not really believe it. Take
everything I have for a broken ankle? Occurring in a building where
public is not invited? Give me a break.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus8177 wrote:
On 2012-01-12,
wrote:
[...]

It happens every day, whether you believe it or not. You said yourself
that people come in to pick up their stuff.
Got anyone working in there? Do you have insurance in the event that a
fork truck hits a stack of whatever and knocks it over onto someone? How
about the OOPS I slipped with a grinder or managed to cut off a finger
while cutting apart a machine.
Those things happen a LOT, they are accidents but if they are on YOUR
property they are your problem.

Personally I would be looking to get incorporated, then set it up so
that your personal property is not part of the corporate structure.
That way when you run over the little old lady when wheeling that
tractor around they can't take your house/vehicles/bank account.
As a bonus you would get better rates on insurance and it will be easier
at tax time.

You REALLY should set down and talk to some folks about what you have to
have and why you need it. I understand that you think it's OK because it
won't happen to you and that it is YOUR building. You also wondered
about having snow cleared and renting parking and maybe storage room.
ALL of that opens you up to BIG trouble without having all the correct
paperwork.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-01-12, wrote:

Who insures your building? Who carries your company liability
insurance (you DO have commercial insurance, I assume????)

I was too busy to get it, I do not have building or liability
insurance yet. I will try to get something soon.

Soon, as in TODAY! You can get bare-bones commercial liability
insurance for real cheap. I pay $500 / yr for my commercial insurance
and worker's comp. 2 employees, $3M liability, and it also includes
coverage on my equipment, materials and work in progress.

$5 or $10K deductible?

I don't remember off the top of my head, but somewhere in that
neighborhood. I can absorb that kind of loss, but I'd be screwed if I
were sued for $100K. My carrier is The Hartford. They write a lot of
small and medium business policies.

What I do not carry is errors and omissions insurance. I investigated
that once, and it was way too expensive. I think I have that pretty
well covered by the terms in my contracts that (I think) absolve me of
any responsibility for damages. Basicallym it says that it is the
customer's responsibility to determine that what I made is what they
want, and once they take posession, they are responsible for whatever
it does.

"the renowned rangerssuck?" I like the sound of that.

All you need is for some creep to twist his/her ankle on your
property. As I was once advised by a lawyer, "You haven't had a
stomach ache until your name has been 'The Defendant'."

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
--
"it's the network..." * * * * * * * * * * * * *"The Journey is the reward"
* * * * * * Info for manufacturers:http://www.trexon.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-01-12, Steve W. wrote:
Ignoramus8177 wrote:
On 2012-01-12, wrote:
[...]

Iggy, personal injury lawyers are snakes. They work strictly on
comission. When you are being sued, you are paying your lawyer by the
hour. It will be a LOT of dollars for a LOT of hours. If you don't
want to believe this happens, it's your choice, but don't say you
weren't warned.

An example of a ridiculous (but true) liability case:
Some years ago, it was reported in AOPA magazine, that a pilot was
using his own plane (with an instructor) on a Civil Air Patrol
training mission. leaving out most of the details, he managed to
pancake the plane into the side of a mountain and injured his back.
His regular insurance carrier refused to pay, since this was, in their
estimation, a "military" flight and, as such, was not covered.

The pilot hired a scumbag personal injury lawyer who successfully sued
the *manufacturer of the seats* in the plane, saying that the seats
should have protected him from injury. The damage award was in the
seven figures.

Another example is, of course, the woman who spilled McDoonald's
coffee in her lap while driving. That case, IMO, was not entirely
without merit, as the restaurant operator had a policy of making sure
that his coffee was the hottest in town and, as such, was dangerously
hot.
http://www.slip-and-sue.com/the-famo...uit-revisited/

Anyway, you really should at least TALK with a broker. As I said, my
policy costs $500/yr. Yours will probably be higher, but maybe not by
much.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-01-12, Steve W. wrote:
Ignoramus8177 wrote:
On 2012-01-12, wrote:
[...]

Having served on several juries involving personal injury claims
i can verify that is the the case. The plaintifs lawyer always ask
the jury to award mega-bucks for pain and suffering. Most of
the people on the juries i sat on were in favor of handing out
big awards and bought the lawyers bull**** about pain and suffering.

Best Regards
Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 1/12/2012 11:41 PM, Steve W. wrote:
Ignoramus13479 wrote:

I hear a lot of this stuff. I do not really believe it. Take
everything I have for a broken ankle? Occurring in a building where
public is not invited? Give me a break.

It happens every day, whether you believe it or not. You said yourself
that people come in to pick up their stuff.
Got anyone working in there? ...

You REALLY should set down and talk to some folks about what you have to
have and why you need it. I understand that you think it's OK because it
won't happen to you and that it is YOUR building. You also wondered
about having snow cleared and renting parking and maybe storage room.
ALL of that opens you up to BIG trouble without having all the correct
paperwork.

Reiterates what I said before and w/ which I agree wholeheartedly.

I'll add that if Iggy isn't straight w/ the Feds on his tax records,
withholding, workmen's comp, self-employment withholding and quarterly
estimates, he ain't see'd nothin' yet as to what it's like to be in
crosshairs of the gun.

If he doesn't follow thru on the above and continues to believe it
doesn't happen and can't happen to him Iggy truly does deserve his
usenet moniker...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus8177 wrote:
On 2012-01-12,
wrote:
[...]

Nobody ever called lawyers and the law especially fair, did they?
Google "fake accidents" or "jury awards huge" or "sending a message"
and cry.

--
Make awkward sexual advances, not war.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 1/13/2012 9:06 AM, dpb wrote:

If he doesn't follow thru on the above and continues to believe it
doesn't happen and can't happen to him Iggy truly does deserve his
usenet moniker...

And, one recent anecdote to indicate that it isn't all _that_ unlikely
for something to trigger a look-see other than an accident on-site.

In these times of short budgets at all levels, states and local entities
are looking for "revenue enhancement" by enforcement in any place they
can think of.

As I've indicated before, we're located in a pretty rural, remote area
of SW KS, far from the populous NE. One fella' w/ whom I have coffee
most mornings got a summons from the State of NY for a relatively minor
traffic citation received when they visited their some 10 or longer
_years_ ago that he had ignored figuring they'd never follow up.

They have been "mining" their databases and chasing down every old
ticket from as long as 20 years ago it appears and have reciprocity
agreements w/ most states that if don't ante up they can make those
ancient "points" show up on driving record thus affecting insurance
rates, license renewal, etc., etc., etc., ...

The moral of the story is that the tax folks at all levels are doing the
same and so it'll be difficult to stay totally off radar if even one
little discrepancy gets flagged in the 'puters somewhere. And, it's at
least possible to get forgiveness in cases of unintentional
neglect/oversight not doing the right things by intent is very bad.

As another pointed out, the risk is directly proportional to what you
have to lose--if this is all being done on borrowed cash and you're
living in a beater of a car and don't have anything else of any value,
then you're not at much risk of losing much. OTOH, if you mortgaged the
house and borrowed on the collateral of a retirement account, etc.,
etc., etc., then it's pretty scary.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-01-13, dpb wrote:
On 1/13/2012 9:06 AM, dpb wrote:

[...]

I cannot see what exactly your story is illustrating, in relation to
my building liability.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus8177 wrote:
On 2012-01-12,
wrote:
[...]

My understanding of this is that lawyers always ask for the sky, but
awards are reduced on appeals if they are given at all.

I did study business law 12 years ago. I am not totally clueless when
it comes to that stuff and I also know how to use google. The media
makes a sensation out of every bull**** lawsuit, but in the end the
law works not quite as badly as it may seem.

I am not inviting general public into my building, my duty of care is
quite limited, and fake accidents are therefore unlikely.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus13479 wrote:

[...]

I try to be totally straight with that stuff.

If he doesn't follow thru on the above and continues to believe it
doesn't happen and can't happen to him Iggy truly does deserve his
usenet moniker...

I will get insurance, I just do not think that the world is coming to
an end.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus8177 wrote:
On 2012-01-12,
wrote:
[...]

And there speaks a nice fellow who is now living in a single wide
somewhere because an asshole cleaned him out in court.

Gunner Asch

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 11:51:32 -0800, Paul Drahn
wrote:

On 1/10/2012 8:30 PM, Ignoramus6358 wrote:
1984 Ford L9000, two rear axles, 374,000 miles, $2,300. I think that
they kept it inside their garage.

http://www.gaonlineauction.com/cgi-b...e5/350/showall

I got a couple of questions.

First, I do not know how to drive anything with a stick shift. How
hard is it to learn to drive this truck, with all those stick shifts,
air brakes etc?

Second, is it possible or not to add a "wet" hookup to it, in case if
I ever get a Landoll type of trailer with a hydraulic winch.

Third, is it correct to assume that I must obtain insurance on it
prior to even driving it to my place? (seems to be a yes)

Thanks

Iggy. You didn't ask for advice, but you are getting it anyway.

Here is mine.

Sell the truck. Get a 1 ton pickup, dual real wheels, Diesel. Either get
a flat bed or have one installed. You will have all the power and load
capacity you need to pull your trailer and you will avoid all the
potential costs with the big truck.

Your business insurance agent will love to add vehicle coverage.

Paul

I agree with Paul 100%

Gunner

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus13479 wrote:

[...]

It's not the end of the world, and a great many small companies start
semi-informally and sort out the licensing/registration/insurance/etc.
over their first few months of operation. It's still something you
should put at the top of your list to take care of though.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 1/13/2012 9:54 AM, Ignoramus16789 wrote:

I cannot see what exactly your story is illustrating, in relation to
my building liability.

The rest of your potential liabilities if you're not current w/ all the
other peripheral financial obligations of running a business wrt to
federal and state taxes, business licenses, etc., etc., etc., ...

All of those are pieces of thread in a big ball and the agencies have
automated data-mining robots combing thru the combination of records and
filings looking for inconsistencies and missing pieces to go after...

In the subject story, the State of NY came after a KS resident many
years later simply because the computer spit his name out in a
search...and did it just last year because they're so hard up for
revenue they've started looking harder.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 2012-01-13, wrote:

I'll add that if Iggy isn't straight w/ the Feds on his tax records,
withholding, workmen's comp, self-employment withholding and quarterly
estimates, he ain't see'd nothin' yet as to what it's like to be in
crosshairs of the gun.

I try to be totally straight with that stuff.

If he doesn't follow thru on the above and continues to believe it
doesn't happen and can't happen to him Iggy truly does deserve his
usenet moniker...

I will get insurance, I just do not think that the world is coming to
an end.

The former is good to know; many try to start off ignoring that stuff
'cuz it's overhead expenses and there's not enough money and after all,
"I'm just small potatoes" and time passes and somehow it never does get
handled and all of sudden they're in deep trouble somehow they never
realized until too late...kinda' like the story of the frog in the pot.

On the latter; again, yes, everything is fine until. And the problem is
you don't know when or what "until" is beforehand and afterwards is too
late. Had dinner last Thursday night w/ a good friend; Friday evening
he had a heart attack and we buried him yesterday. Accidents happen
that way, too; unexpectedly.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 1/13/2012 10:01 AM, Ignoramus16789 wrote:

My understanding of this is that lawyers always ask for the sky, but
awards are reduced on appeals if they are given at all.

I did study business law 12 years ago. I am not totally clueless when
it comes to that stuff and I also know how to use google. The media
makes a sensation out of every bull**** lawsuit, but in the end the
law works not quite as badly as it may seem.

I am not inviting general public into my building, my duty of care is
quite limited, and fake accidents are therefore unlikely.

The problem with that logic is that you may go broke defending same and
there's certainly no guarantee either a judge will set aside a nonsense
award or that you'll win on appeal, either.