Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus13479 Ignoramus13479 is offline

Default Karl -- Bought a semi tractor Ford L9000

On 2012-01-13, wrote:
On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 19:15:29 -0800, Paul Drahn

On 2012-01-11, Pete wrote:

Ignoramus6358 wrote:

1984 Ford L9000, two rear axles, 374,000 miles, $2,300. I think that
they kept it inside their garage.

http://www.gaonlineauction.com/cgi-b...e5/350/showall

I got a couple of questions.

First, I do not know how to drive anything with a stick shift. How
hard is it to learn to drive this truck, with all those stick shifts,
air brakes etc?

Air brakes are simple enough, but a bit touchy. CDL wise you mostly need
to be able to understand the system and the required pre-trip safety
checks of slack adjusters and air pressure build and leakdown rates.

Driving a manual isn't that difficult, but the semis are slightly
different with double clutching vs. a typical manual pickup. The CDL
books should have a decent explanation on shifting. If you can rent a
semi with a semi-automatic transmission for your CDL road test it's a
good idea, one less thing to worry about on the test. The
semi-automatics are a bit of a hybrid, really they are a manual
transmission with computer control. You still have a clutch, but you
only use it when starting and stopping, after that the computer
power-shifts for you. Pretty neat really, the convenience of an auto and
the efficiency of a manual.

If you can I'd recommend learning to drive a manual on a pickup first
since it will be a bit more forgiving of missed shifts and whatnot while
you practice. I taught a friend how to drive a manual on my old pickup
in a couple hours, and with that truck it didn't care if he missed and
wend from 2nd to 5th when starting out. Normally you won't use the
lowest gear(s) at all unless you are pulling a load, i.e. start in 2nd.

Second, is it possible or not to add a "wet" hookup to it, in case if
I ever get a Landoll type of trailer with a hydraulic winch.

A wet line setup is simple enough to add, just a PTO powered hydraulic
pump. The Landoll type trailers I've seen all had onboard engines for
the hydraulics though.

Third, is it correct to assume that I must obtain insurance on it
prior to even driving it to my place? (seems to be a yes)

Insurance, registration and state inspections I expect. Don't skimp, the
fines would be big. The insurance won't be cheap either and your regular
insurance agent will most likely be clueless. Search online on truckers
sites for insurance companies that specialize in commercial insurance.

Thanks. I will have it towed, one way or another, and then I will take
my time with it.

I do not see any point in paying insurance for it until I find a
trailer, anyway, which could be a while.

I will find some unemployed CDL holder, to teach me how to drive this
truck, on my own property.

The truck has a current registration sticker until 6/12. The company
took good care of it.

Don't judge the mileage by the odometer. Look at the upholstery to see
if it looks like the mileage is real. Are both seats identical
upholstery? The pictures show the driver's seat to be in great
condition. Perhaps too good? Have the seats been replaced?

Paul

The first thing I noticed was the speedo didn't seem to fit - like it
had been replaced with something different - but then I noticed the
bezel on the other instrument - missing on the speedo, which DOES look
original. I would suspect it was a local delivery truck, used for
trade shows etc, and that the mileage IS original.

I would be shocked if the Morse Calipers company would mess with the
odometer at the time of closing. It would be so out of the
ordinary.

It is not some asshole shade tree used car dealer, you know.

They indeed used it for deliveries and stuff of that sort, for
corporate business. They maintained everything on a PM schedule.

It may have problems, of course, but doubtfully a tampered odometer.