Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Karl -- Bought a semi tractor Ford L9000

On Fri, 13 Jan 2012 00:41:36 -0500, "Steve W."

On 2012-01-13, wrote:
On Thu, 12 Jan 2012 09:21:17 -0600, Ignoramus13479

On 2012-01-12, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Thu, 12 Jan 2012 06:14:07 -0600, Ignoramus13479

On 2012-01-12,
wrote:
Who insures your building? Who carries your company liability
insurance (you DO have commercial insurance, I assume????)
I was too busy to get it, I do not have building or liability
insurance yet. I will try to get something soon.

I hope you are not letting ANYONE in that building or on the land
around it then. Insurance is a MAJOR priority. If you are "too
busy" I hope you are also VERY RICH.

I agree. I will call around today or tomorrow.
Very good idea. Call today, especially now that you broadcast it to
the world when you posted that you're uninsured. There are sneaky and
underhanded people out there, Ig.
I would think that they would seek out an insured person, rather.

That said, all that people do in my building is walk in and pick up
their goods.
And one slip, perhaps in the icy parking lot, could bankrupt you if
they're the wrong person.

They will take everything YOU have if there are no deeper pockets
involved.

I hear a lot of this stuff. I do not really believe it. Take
everything I have for a broken ankle? Occurring in a building where
public is not invited? Give me a break.

It happens every day, whether you believe it or not. You said yourself
that people come in to pick up their stuff.
Got anyone working in there? Do you have insurance in the event that a
fork truck hits a stack of whatever and knocks it over onto someone? How
about the OOPS I slipped with a grinder or managed to cut off a finger
while cutting apart a machine.
Those things happen a LOT, they are accidents but if they are on YOUR
property they are your problem.

Personally I would be looking to get incorporated, then set it up so
that your personal property is not part of the corporate structure.
That way when you run over the little old lady when wheeling that
tractor around they can't take your house/vehicles/bank account.
As a bonus you would get better rates on insurance and it will be easier
at tax time.

You REALLY should set down and talk to some folks about what you have to
have and why you need it. I understand that you think it's OK because it
won't happen to you and that it is YOUR building. You also wondered
about having snow cleared and renting parking and maybe storage room.
ALL of that opens you up to BIG trouble without having all the correct
paperwork.

And even if someone is injured BREAKING IN to your building, you CAN
be held responsible. Courts HAVE found in favour of the injured
intruder.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 13 Jan 2012 11:16:44 -0600, Ignoramus16789

On 2012-01-13, dpb wrote:
On 1/12/2012 11:41 PM, Steve W. wrote:
Ignoramus13479 wrote:

I hear a lot of this stuff. I do not really believe it. Take
everything I have for a broken ankle? Occurring in a building where
public is not invited? Give me a break.

It happens every day, whether you believe it or not. You said yourself
that people come in to pick up their stuff.
Got anyone working in there? ...

You REALLY should set down and talk to some folks about what you have to
have and why you need it. I understand that you think it's OK because it
won't happen to you and that it is YOUR building. You also wondered
about having snow cleared and renting parking and maybe storage room.
ALL of that opens you up to BIG trouble without having all the correct
paperwork.

Reiterates what I said before and w/ which I agree wholeheartedly.

I'll add that if Iggy isn't straight w/ the Feds on his tax records,
withholding, workmen's comp, self-employment withholding and quarterly
estimates, he ain't see'd nothin' yet as to what it's like to be in
crosshairs of the gun.

I try to be totally straight with that stuff.

If he doesn't follow thru on the above and continues to believe it
doesn't happen and can't happen to him Iggy truly does deserve his
usenet moniker...

I will get insurance, I just do not think that the world is coming to
an end.

That's the key to insurance. It only works when you have it, and
tragedy can strike at any time. I think the main point in this
offshoot of the thread is timeliness.

The very next guy who walks through the door at your shop could slip
and be in a coma, and all your money would be gone. Insurance is a
very good thing if you can afford it. A good lawyer on his side could
suck the marrow out of your bones after he took your house, vehicles,
all property, and vacuumed out every one of your bank accounts. He
could even get all the gold ingots you stash under your mattress.
silly grinne

--
Make awkward sexual advances, not war.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 13 Jan 2012 10:01:11 -0600, Ignoramus16789

Ignoramus8177 wrote:
On 2012-01-12,
wrote:
[...]

Nobody ever called lawyers and the law especially fair, did they?
Google "fake accidents" or "jury awards huge" or "sending a message"
and cry.

My understanding of this is that lawyers always ask for the sky, but
awards are reduced on appeals if they are given at all.

Yes, they want a million, ask for twelve million, and it's reduced to
1.5 million on appeal. sigh Not all awards are reduced, though.

I did study business law 12 years ago.

Ditto, um, 36 years ago. Back then, the interest rates on current
credit cards were known as "usury."

I am not totally clueless when
it comes to that stuff and I also know how to use google. The media
makes a sensation out of every bull**** lawsuit, but in the end the
law works not quite as badly as it may seem.

While the law -usually- works out well, far more hiccups are happening
nowadays. I sure as hell don't want to be victim to one. Do you?

I am not inviting general public into my building, my duty of care is
quite limited, and fake accidents are therefore unlikely.

You're far more complacent than I would be in your situation. Hey,
it's only a grand or so (My $500k liability costs $750/yr) and it's
tax deductible for the business.

--
Make awkward sexual advances, not war.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 12 Jan 2012 09:18:52 -0600, "Pete C."
wrote:

dpb wrote:

On 1/12/2012 8:19 AM, Pete C. wrote:
Ignoramus13479 wrote:

Well, I do not know if this is comparable, they are using it daily and
it is driven by people who do not know how to drive it.

Yes, but the point is it likely won't be cheap regardless, and you will
have to work carefully to get the agent to understand your actual
limited use without getting them confused. You're moving off lots of
equipment from auctions to your shop a few times a month mostly I'd
think, probably well under 5,000mi/mo. If you do any delivery of the
larger machines I think that will expose you to much greater liability
and thus higher costs, vs. just bringing stuff you've purchased to your
shop.

Indeed, and it's unlikely they'll care (much). I took an old small farm
truck back to TN years ago to make trips to/from the sawmills just as
individual, not business. There was no one I could find in the entire
state that would insure it as just a personal vehicle even though the
weight and length were within those of a current dually PU; it had a
grain bed and lift and as soon as they saw it it was "commercial". At
that point, nothing else mattered; it might as well as had a 40k rating
as the 8k KS farm tag.

Lots of luck to Iggy on finding somebody with a little compassion on the
little guy.

--

When I get a semi for my personal use, I'm going to get the biggest
sleeper cab I can find, upgrade it to a full camper and register it as

Why stop there? There are conversions out there where they take a
full Class 8 truck chassis and build a 35' plus full-on "Class C on
Steroids" Motorhome inside the box body. And you can tow a dolly and
half-set or a killer car trailer.

They take round saddle-mount fuel tanks and convert them into
fresh-water, grey water and black water sewer tanks, and the rest of
the space gets Possum Belly storage boxes. The Gen Set is a large
standard truckers APU that pre-heats the engine and has an AC
Compressor. With that much fuel on hand and room for a Big coach
battery bank, you could go dry-camping for weeks at a time.

-- Bruce --