Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default R.C.M.

All the BS can be depressing, but -

I had to reload Windows on my desk machine. (I hate when that happens!)

Which means 3 or 4 days of setting everything back up properly.
Which also (finally!) includes news group service.

So, while digging though 110 THOUSAND topics I learned that most of the
topics are dead as the dodo. Savagly killed and the bodies left as a
warning to anyone passing by.

So be thankful that this group, despite the noise to signal ratio that
you may not like, is alive.

That's something very special...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 04 Aug 2011 21:28:08 -0500, Richard
wrote:

All the BS can be depressing, but -

I had to reload Windows on my desk machine. (I hate when that happens!)

Which means 3 or 4 days of setting everything back up properly.
Which also (finally!) includes news group service.

So, while digging though 110 THOUSAND topics I learned that most of the
topics are dead as the dodo. Savagly killed and the bodies left as a
warning to anyone passing by.

So be thankful that this group, despite the noise to signal ratio that
you may not like, is alive.

That's something very special...

Yep, all the others are SO much worse. This is now the only group I
follow. With killfilters, RCM is a pretty good group. I learn
something almost every day. And that's not easy for an old fart.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

All the BS can be depressing, but -

I had to reload Windows on my desk machine. (I hate when that happens!)

Which means 3 or 4 days of setting everything back up properly.
Which also (finally!) includes news group service.

So, while digging though 110 THOUSAND topics I learned that most of the
topics are dead as the dodo. Savagly killed and the bodies left as a
warning to anyone passing by.

So be thankful that this group, despite the noise to signal ratio that
you may not like, is alive.

That's something very special...

Yep, all the others are SO much worse. This is now the only group I
follow. With killfilters, RCM is a pretty good group. I learn
something almost every day. And that's not easy for an old fart.

Karl

Ditto to that! Hang in there RCM'ers.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

To bad the server that hosts rcm does not block cross posted
crap. I bet 90% of the crap would just disapear. Shure
would make filtering easier.

Best Regards
Tom.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"azotic" wrote in message
To bad the server that hosts rcm does not block cross posted
crap. I bet 90% of the crap would just disapear. Shure would make
filtering easier.

Best Regards
Tom.

...."the" server... ?

LOL!

New around USENET, are you?

--
Jeff R.
(prefers Ortofon to Shure, anyway)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:

(...)

With killfilters, RCM is a pretty good group. I learn
something almost every day. And that's not easy for an old fart.

I represent that remark.
I am astounded how large the range of competencies are in RCM
and how kind and generous we can be in helping each other.

--Winston

--

Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got

Joni Mitchell

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 05 Aug 2011 05:56:32 -0700, Winston
wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:

(...)

With killfilters, RCM is a pretty good group. I learn
something almost every day. And that's not easy for an old fart.

I represent that remark.
I am astounded how large the range of competencies are in RCM
and how kind and generous we can be in helping each other.

Ditto! It's a great group. Even you old farts.

LJ, who turned 58 today.

--
Worry is a misuse of imagination.
-- Dan Zadra
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-08-05, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Fri, 05 Aug 2011 05:56:32 -0700, Winston
wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:

(...)

With killfilters, RCM is a pretty good group. I learn
something almost every day. And that's not easy for an old fart.

I represent that remark.
I am astounded how large the range of competencies are in RCM
and how kind and generous we can be in helping each other.

Ditto! It's a great group. Even you old farts.

LJ, who turned 58 today.

Happy birthday!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

(...)

Ditto! It's a great group. Even you old farts.

LJ, who turned 58 today.

Happy Birthday Larry!

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Winston" wrote in message
Larry Jaques wrote:

(...)

Ditto! It's a great group. Even you old farts.

LJ, who turned 58 today.

Happy Birthday Larry!

--Winston

Ditto that.

Best Regards
Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 05 Aug 2011 07:14:43 -0700, Winston
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

(...)

Ditto! It's a great group. Even you old farts.

LJ, who turned 58 today.

Happy Birthday Larry!

Thanks, guys.

--
Worry is a misuse of imagination.
-- Dan Zadra
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

azotic wrote:

To bad the server that hosts rcm does not block cross posted
crap. I bet 90% of the crap would just disapear. Shure
would make filtering easier.

Too bad that the thousands of servers that carry
news:rec.crafts.metalworking do not drop crossposted messages. 90%+ of
the crap would just disappear. It would make filtering simpler.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

On Fri, 05 Aug 2011 05:56:32 -0700, Winston
wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:

(...)

With killfilters, RCM is a pretty good group. I learn
something almost every day. And that's not easy for an old fart.

I represent that remark.
I am astounded how large the range of competencies are in RCM
and how kind and generous we can be in helping each other.

Ditto! It's a great group. Even you old farts.

LJ, who turned 58 today.

Yawn. I turned 59 today. You're an old fart, too. Anyone over 50
is.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 8/5/2011 5:28, Richard wrote:
All the BS can be depressing, but -

I had to reload Windows on my desk machine. (I hate when that happens!)

Which means 3 or 4 days of setting everything back up properly.
Which also (finally!) includes news group service.

How about using Norton PartitioMagic to make a copy
of your harddisk partitions to a new harddisk.. Next
time you can take the copy and not have to start from
zero..

I use the PartitionMagic to copy harddisk contents to
a new harddisk every year or so, and start using the
new one.. Before it breaks.. Doesn't cost much.. Also
leaves a backup every time.

Same thing as keeping a copy of CNC machine control
PLC program..
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Kristian Ukkonen" wrote in message
... How about using Norton Partitio[n]Magic to make a copy
of your harddisk partitions to a new harddisk.....

Discontinued:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PartitionMagic

I used to use Norton's Ghost 2003 to back up the C: drive.

Seagate and Western Digital offer free versions of Acronis TrueImage which
can save and restore images of the C: drive to the same or another hard
drive. You can't just copy the drive Windows boots from.

The Seagate version needs to find at least one Seagate or Maxtor drive on
the system, I think WD is the same. I run the Seagate one on a laptop that
has a Samsung internal HDD, with a Seagate USB drive connected to enable the
program.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Kristian Ukkonen" wrote in message
... How about using Norton Partitio[n]Magic to make a copy
of your harddisk partitions to a new harddisk.....

Discontinued:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PartitionMagic

I used to use Norton's Ghost 2003 to back up the C: drive.

Seagate and Western Digital offer free versions of Acronis TrueImage
which can save and restore images of the C: drive to the same or
another hard drive. You can't just copy the drive Windows boots from.

The Seagate version needs to find at least one Seagate or Maxtor
drive on the system, I think WD is the same. I run the Seagate one on
a laptop that has a Samsung internal HDD, with a Seagate USB drive
connected to enable the program.

jsw

Bzzzzztt , wrong . Jim , WD's data lifeguard tools will in fact copy a "C:"
drive to a new HDD . I know this for a fact , as I have used it to transfer
the OS to a new drive . The drive MUST be a WD unit , however . I have a
copy that came with a new drive I bought , and a copy that I D/L'd from the
'net . Both are identical in function .

--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 05 Aug 2011 21:58:14 +0300, Kristian Ukkonen
wrote:

On 8/5/2011 5:28, Richard wrote:
All the BS can be depressing, but -

I had to reload Windows on my desk machine. (I hate when that happens!)

Which means 3 or 4 days of setting everything back up properly.
Which also (finally!) includes news group service.

How about using Norton PartitioMagic to make a copy
of your harddisk partitions to a new harddisk.. Next
time you can take the copy and not have to start from
zero..

I use the PartitionMagic to copy harddisk contents to
a new harddisk every year or so, and start using the
new one.. Before it breaks.. Doesn't cost much.. Also
leaves a backup every time.

Same thing as keeping a copy of CNC machine control
PLC program..

I'll be using the free EASUS Partition Master to do the same thing
from now on. My backup will be a plug'n'play, not this hair-ripping
system I currently use...

--
Worry is a misuse of imagination.
-- Dan Zadra
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-08-05, azotic wrote:
To bad the server that hosts rcm does not block cross posted
crap. I bet 90% of the crap would just disapear. Shure
would make filtering easier.

The problem is that this being usenet, there is no one server.
There are hundreds if not thousands of servers, each serving a more or
less local group of users. So there is not a single pinch point were
the filtering could be applied.

However, I *do* filter out most cross-posted articles at my
newsreader.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Snag" wrote in message
Jim Wilkins wrote:
...You can't just copy the drive Windows boots from.

[meaning drag-&-drop copy, not that it can't be copied somehow]

The Seagate version [of Acronis, which WILL copy a system drive]....
jsw

Bzzzzztt , wrong . Jim , WD's data lifeguard tools will in fact copy a
"C:" drive to a new HDD . I know this for a fact , as I have used it to
transfer the OS to a new drive . The drive MUST be a WD unit , however . I
have a copy that came with a new drive I bought , and a copy that I D/L'd
from the 'net . Both are identical in function .
Snag

I have Data Lifeguard v1.22 on the 7 machine but see only S.M.A.R.T and
diagnostics.
http://support.wdc.com/product/downl...&sid=3&lang=en

They only warn you to back up the drive. Maybe your new drive's software
bundle included True Image.

I don't use DLG because I like HDTune (free, not PRO) better, and it runs on
other brands.
http://www.hdtune.com/download.html

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Snag" wrote in message
Jim Wilkins wrote:
[...]

Mine's data lifeguard tools version 11.1 windows , build 5.05.06 for
windows , copyright 2003-2004 . It won't let me copy to the same physical
HDD (I don't think it will , and I ain't adventurous enough to try) but it
will let me copy to a new unit . I've never actually used it to make a
backup , but have transferred the entire contents to a new drive to replace
an old/failing unit . I don't see any reason it won't let me transfer then
pull the "new" drive for backup , though .
Alrighty then , I just checked and since I just "happen" to have a
brandy-new WD 250Gb SATA drive in the drawer upstairs , I think tomorrow
I'll just try it ! I shall report the results after I try it . Worst that
can happen is that I'll have to go ahead and install that drive in whichever
comp I use for the experiment . Probably this desktop , since IIRC it still
has the original from when I built it .
More tomorrow , right now it's time for another Trickel of Dickel .
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-08-05, azotic wrote:
To bad the server that hosts rcm does not block cross posted
crap. I bet 90% of the crap would just disapear. Shure
would make filtering easier.

The problem is that this being usenet, there is no one server.
There are hundreds if not thousands of servers, each serving a more or
less local group of users. So there is not a single pinch point were
the filtering could be applied.

However, I *do* filter out most cross-posted articles at my
newsreader.

Enjoy,
DoN.

Thanks Don.

Had senior moment.

Best Regards
Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jeff R." wrote in message
u...
snip----

Jeff R.
(prefers Ortofon to Shure, anyway)

Heh! Just happened to notice your sig line. Any comments on Supex?

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Snag" wrote in message
... Mine's data lifeguard tools version 11.1 windows , build 5.05.06 for
windows , copyright 2003-2004 . It won't let me copy to the same physical
HDD (I don't think it will , and I ain't adventurous enough to try) but it
will let me copy to a new unit . ...
Snag

I see. Data Lifeguard Tools (by Kroll Ontrack) is separate from Data
Lifeguard Diagnostics.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/...ive-in-windows
"As of 9/30/09, we no longer provide download support for Data LifeGuard
Tools. We are now making Acronis WD Edition software available as the
replacement for Data Lifeguard Tools."

It's still available from download sources, if you trust them:
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/...rd-Tools.shtml

In WD True Image you have to click on the highlighted drive to see the
backup menu. Otherwise it's easy to follow.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message

"Snag" wrote in message
[...]

I seen acronis 2011 is available for $4 after rebate. It's in
fry's ad this week. On sale till next thursday. I have been
using it since last november and am happy with it.

Best Regards
Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Snag" wrote in message
[...]

Send me your snail mail addy offline and I'll send you a copy if you'd like
..

--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 06 Aug 2011 08:27:35 GMT, "Harold & Susan Vordos"
wrote:

"Jeff R." wrote in message
. au...
snip----

Jeff R.
(prefers Ortofon to Shure, anyway)

Heh! Just happened to notice your sig line. Any comments on Supex?

I was always an Audio Technica kinda guy. Crikey, how many decades
has it been since I subscribed to Stereo Review mag? 4, I think.
You guys brought back fond memories of times before my tinnitus, when
my hearing was good enough for me to be a foolish _audiophile_.

--
Worry is a misuse of imagination.
-- Dan Zadra
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Jeff R." wrote in message
.au...
snip----

Jeff R.
(prefers Ortofon to Shure, anyway)

Heh! Just happened to notice your sig line. Any comments on Supex?

I was always an Audio Technica kinda guy. Crikey, how many decades
has it been since I subscribed to Stereo Review mag? 4, I think.
You guys brought back fond memories of times before my tinnitus, when
my hearing was good enough for me to be a foolish _audiophile_.

I have to sheepishly confess that I was just teasing the OP for his spelling
of "Shure" for "sure".

It's a long time since I played with vinyl, and my tin ears are now quite
satisfied with CDs and mp3s.

Sorry if I lit a long-extinguished passion...

--
Jeff R.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Snag" wrote in message
Jim Wilkins wrote:
It's still available from download sources, if you trust them:
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/...rd-Tools.shtml

jsw

Send me your snail mail addy offline and I'll send you a copy if you'd
like Snag

Thanks, but it seems to be for older EIDE drives only, not current SATA
ones.

Older versions of Seagate DiscWizard won't recognize a USB mouse when booted
from the rescue CD but the v.11 does. Otherwise I've had no trouble with
it. It can be made to boot from a USB flash drive rather than a CD if the PC
or especially laptop / netbook supports USB boot. AFAIK the flash needs to
be FAT32 and thus won't also hold an image of XP due to FAT32's 4GB file
size limit. OTOH it's a good use for otherwise obsolete 128MB sticks. I
made one to boot Seagate DiscWizard, one for WD TrueImage and one for DOS7
from Win98.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Snag" wrote in message
Jim Wilkins wrote:
[...]

Hmmm , I wasn't going to try it with that new SATA drive after your last
comment , but now maybe I will . I'm pretty sure I've used it to transfer an
OS to a SATA , but you know what they say , the memory is the second thing
to go . I can't recall what the first is ...

--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Snag" wrote in message
... Hmmm , I wasn't going to try it with that new SATA drive after your
last comment , but now maybe I will . I'm pretty sure I've used it to
transfer an OS to a SATA , but you know what they say , the memory is the
second thing to go . I can't recall what the first is ...
Snag

Here's a hint, tee shirts admitting one's weakness from "Glee".

Ditzy, clueless Brittany's:
http://www.shewired.com/Images/Artic...ws_born469.jpg

and bad-boy Puck's:
http://image.spreadshirt.com/image-s...stupid-tee.png

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Jeff R." wrote in message
.au...
snip----

Jeff R.
(prefers Ortofon to Shure, anyway)

Heh! Just happened to notice your sig line. Any comments on Supex?

I was always an Audio Technica kinda guy. Crikey, how many decades
has it been since I subscribed to Stereo Review mag? 4, I think.
You guys brought back fond memories of times before my tinnitus, when
my hearing was good enough for me to be a foolish _audiophile_.

I've had tinnitus in my left ear for at least 15 years, and now it shows up
(occasionaly) in my right ear. Left ear doesn't ring all the time, but far
too frequently. Surprisingly, you get used to it.
Don't know that I'd call myself an audiophile---but I've had good sound gear
since the mid 60's (a matter of opinion. Not everyone thinks McIntosh is as
great as I do). I really love our JBL speakers, too, although there's no
shortage of people that may not like them, either. Not my problem.

In spite of my less than stellar hearing, I still consider music to be one
of the most important things in my life. I'm far from a musician, but I
enjoy listening, and do so regularly. My taste in music has slowly
shifted---which is likely to be expected, much as one matures and weans
themselves from eating Pablum. Where I used to listen to rock and roll
(ahhhh! The good old days!) as a youngster, my listening pleasure shifted
towards jazz, made all the easier when the Beatles invaded what was, then,
to me, sacred territory---the realm of rock as we knew it here in the
States. By then folk music had already made a change in the listening
pleasure of many, so conditions were ripe for me to make a switch. I never
got accustomed to the Beatles, and were it not for some of the great tunes
Lennon & McCartney wrote, many of which have been played in a jazz idiom, I
likely would have still had considerable contempt for their brand of noise.
They were, single handedly, responsible for my immediate cessation of
listening to rock. Aside form occasional visits to an "oldies" station, I
have never returned. Don't miss it, and I don't miss Pablum, either.

Along the way, I was introduced to classical music, although through jazz.
Walter Carlos, on the Moog synthesizer, produced his album Switched on Bach,
about the same time Jacques Loussier was releasing his Play Bach series of
albums. Pierre Gosset, too, had released an album that had classical
overtones, which helped me start listening more and more to classical music.
I now favor classical, although primarily the baroque. Still listen to
plenty of jazz, although my favorite is still the cool, west coast sound.

So then, to me, listening to the stereo is still a top priority. The house
we're building (almost finished) was designed around the stereo system.

Yeah! It's important to me.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jeff R." wrote in message

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Sat, 06 Aug 2011 08:27:35 GMT, "Harold & Susan Vordos"
wrote:

"Jeff R." wrote in message
m.au...
snip----

Jeff R.
(prefers Ortofon to Shure, anyway)

Heh! Just happened to notice your sig line. Any comments on Supex?

I was always an Audio Technica kinda guy. Crikey, how many decades
has it been since I subscribed to Stereo Review mag? 4, I think.
You guys brought back fond memories of times before my tinnitus, when
my hearing was good enough for me to be a foolish _audiophile_.

I have to sheepishly confess that I was just teasing the OP for his
spelling of "Shure" for "sure".

When you're as old as I am (72), things aren't always apparent. I was so
intent on talking about cartridges that the humor went over my head!
sigh

It's a long time since I played with vinyl, and my tin ears are now quite
satisfied with CDs and mp3s.

Understood. I'm quite keen on CD's, although I have never gotten involved
with mp3's.

Sorry if I lit a long-extinguished passion...

Do not apologize. For me, it is not a long extinguished passion. In fact,
I am in the finishing stages of the house I've been building for years,
which will have a huge stereo room. I will include in the stereo system,
not only my turntable of old (Thorens TD-125), which is equipped with an
Ortofon arm, plus a pair of Ortofon moving coil cartridges, and one Supex
moving coil cartridge. My curiosity about your thoughts on the Supex were
motivated by my use, for years, of the Ortofon. Circumstances forced me
to buy the Supex, which I consider to be somewhat superior to the Ortofons.
Just wondered if you had an opinion.
I'm still locked in to the gear of old. I'll install a Crown reel to reel
tape deck, along with a Nakamichi 1000 II cassette player. No 8 track! :-)

Walnut cabinets have been custom built accordingly.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Harold & Susan Vordos" wrote in message
.. .

Do not apologize. For me, it is not a long extinguished passion. In
fact, I am in the finishing stages of the house I've been building for
years, which will have a huge stereo room. I will include in the stereo
system, not only my turntable of old (Thorens TD-125), which is equipped
with an Ortofon arm, plus a pair of Ortofon moving coil cartridges, and
one Supex moving coil cartridge. My curiosity about your thoughts on the
Supex were motivated by my use, for years, of the Ortofon.
Circumstances forced me to buy the Supex, which I consider to be somewhat
superior to the Ortofons. Just wondered if you had an opinion.

Sorry, no.
I have no idea where my turntables ended up...
(I doubt the kids inherited them)
....and I've forgotten most of what I learnt playing with them.

Digital is just so nice.
My whole collection - 20,000+ tracks - all on one HDD and instantly
available. On the road, too!

I'm still locked in to the gear of old. I'll install a Crown reel to
reel tape deck, along with a Nakamichi 1000 II cassette player. No 8
track! :-)

Walnut cabinets have been custom built accordingly.

Harold

I've got a few years til retirement, but I like the idea of a stereo room.
That - combined with floor-to-ceiling bookcases. Full, of course.
sigghhh

cheers from Sydney
--
Jeff R.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Jeff R." wrote in message
m.au...
snip----

Jeff R.
(prefers Ortofon to Shure, anyway)

Heh! Just happened to notice your sig line. Any comments on Supex?

I was always an Audio Technica kinda guy. Crikey, how many decades
has it been since I subscribed to Stereo Review mag? 4, I think.
You guys brought back fond memories of times before my tinnitus, when
my hearing was good enough for me to be a foolish _audiophile_.

I've had tinnitus in my left ear for at least 15 years, and now it shows up
(occasionaly) in my right ear. Left ear doesn't ring all the time, but far
too frequently. Surprisingly, you get used to it.

My ears are the same as yours, but switched. My right is the noisiest.

Don't know that I'd call myself an audiophile---but I've had good sound gear
since the mid 60's (a matter of opinion. Not everyone thinks McIntosh is as
great as I do). I really love our JBL speakers, too, although there's no
shortage of people that may not like them, either. Not my problem.

I miss the stereo setup my buddy had in Phoenix 40 odd years ago. I
barely remember what components it had, but the Marantz (3300?) preamp
really stands out in my mind still. It took all the hiss and pops out
of the records we played. His McIntosh tube amp and JBL or Altec
speakers were great, but that preamp brought it all together. I'd
never listened to a $6k system before and I stayed in awe of it for a
year. Another friend did sound systems for bands and conventions, so
his "home" stereo in the aircraft hangar was a pair of Phase Linear
700B amps and 2 pairs of Altec Lansing Voice of the Theater speaker
systems. I wore earplugs and muffs when I was over there. It was the
first time I -felt- a song more than heard it, a wonderful experience!
It's like the first time you go to a funny car meet and can feel the
crackling of their exhaust in the stands, while the smell of the
nitromethane fuel tickles your nose. Muffs and plugs are required for
this experience, too. You feel both in your _bones_, and they grin.

In spite of my less than stellar hearing, I still consider music to be one
of the most important things in my life. I'm far from a musician, but I
enjoy listening, and do so regularly. My taste in music has slowly
shifted---which is likely to be expected, much as one matures and weans
themselves from eating Pablum. Where I used to listen to rock and roll
(ahhhh! The good old days!) as a youngster, my listening pleasure shifted
towards jazz,

Ditto, but I like a different jazz than you. And I recently
re-purchased all the early Led Zeppelin CDs. They're timeless.
I think their blues music was tops.

made all the easier when the Beatles invaded what was, then,
to me, sacred territory---the realm of rock as we knew it here in the
States. By then folk music had already made a change in the listening
pleasure of many, so conditions were ripe for me to make a switch. I never
got accustomed to the Beatles, and were it not for some of the great tunes
Lennon & McCartney wrote, many of which have been played in a jazz idiom, I
likely would have still had considerable contempt for their brand of noise.
They were, single handedly, responsible for my immediate cessation of
listening to rock. Aside form occasional visits to an "oldies" station, I
have never returned. Don't miss it, and I don't miss Pablum, either.

I still cringe when I hear Top 40 on the radio, which I never listen
to any more. Farkin' commercials and fartin' announcers, I swear...

Along the way, I was introduced to classical music, although through jazz.
Walter Carlos, on the Moog synthesizer, produced his album Switched on Bach,
about the same time Jacques Loussier was releasing his Play Bach series of
albums. Pierre Gosset, too, had released an album that had classical
overtones, which helped me start listening more and more to classical music.
I now favor classical, although primarily the baroque. Still listen to
plenty of jazz, although my favorite is still the cool, west coast sound.

Define "cool, west coast sound" for me, 'Arry.

So then, to me, listening to the stereo is still a top priority.

Yeah, I put on tunes to make doing the dishes a light and pleasant
chore.

The house
we're building (almost finished) was designed around the stereo system.

Yeah! It's important to me.

Ah reckon! titter So, what did you do differently in building the
house to enhance the sound?

When I'm depressed (very seldom nowadays) I crank up some old tunes
and rock out for an hour or two. My Bose 501 woofers went, but some
automobile 6x9s fit the space with a backer board, and they sound fair
to middlin'.

--
We are always the same age inside.
-- Gertrude Stein
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 7 Aug 2011 19:10:14 +1000, "Jeff R." wrote:

"Harold & Susan Vordos" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Interesting conversation, what I need is to build a chair for reading.
Nothing seems comfortable and will have to be in the shop cause
reading through a movie or Wii & the wife yakking on the phone is next
to insanity.

Not long ago I tried again to get vinyl to hardrive to flash drive,
what a mess. Not sure what the problem is. Sometimes one side of
stereo is missing, the flash drive picks and chooses what it will
recognize and which machine it likes that day. Other times things will
go just fine but the arrangement sucks when paying attention to the
road. The inlaw was in the truck the other day and was wondering what
was stuck in the stereo, took a lot of explaining and don't think he
really understood. Except maybe the part about listing to just one
half way across the country and not hearing the same song twice or a
commercial.

I'm still using speakers for shelf elevation in the shop. Need to
insulate the shop cause the country neighbors are easily reached with
only two speakers.

SW

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Jeff R." wrote in message
[...]

I've not been to a funny car meet but have been to a tractor pull where
the show stopper was a 37 litre RR Griffon powered beasty, apart from
the glorious noise you could feel it through your feet as well.

In spite of my less than stellar hearing, I still consider music to be one
of the most important things in my life. I'm far from a musician, but I
enjoy listening, and do so regularly. My taste in music has slowly
shifted---which is likely to be expected, much as one matures and weans
themselves from eating Pablum. Where I used to listen to rock and roll
(ahhhh! The good old days!) as a youngster, my listening pleasure shifted
towards jazz,

Ditto, but I like a different jazz than you. And I recently
re-purchased all the early Led Zeppelin CDs. They're timeless.
I think their blues music was tops.

You really needed to get new ones as the early CDs were poorly mastered
in the rush to get everything to CD. A mate and I compared an early LZ
CD to the vinyl version and the CD was appalling.

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 07 Aug 2011 13:13:15 +0100, David Billington
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
[...]

Indeed!

Ditto, but I like a different jazz than you. And I recently
re-purchased all the early Led Zeppelin CDs. They're timeless.
I think their blues music was tops.

You really needed to get new ones as the early CDs were poorly mastered
in the rush to get everything to CD. A mate and I compared an early LZ
CD to the vinyl version and the CD was appalling.

Yeah, all those I found are remastered.

--
We are always the same age inside.
-- Gertrude Stein
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 8/4/2011 8:28 PM, Richard wrote:
All the BS can be depressing, but -

I had to reload Windows on my desk machine. (I hate when that happens!)

Which means 3 or 4 days of setting everything back up properly.
Which also (finally!) includes news group service.

It only takes me about a day but it's a PITA never-the-less.

One advantage I see in a new build is that the machine seems to boot and
run lot faster (for a while) until the bloat and constipation set in
(for some reason I don't fully understand).

Laurie Forbes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 07 Aug 2011 09:23:34 -0600, Laurie Forbes
wrote:

On 8/4/2011 8:28 PM, Richard wrote:
All the BS can be depressing, but -

I had to reload Windows on my desk machine. (I hate when that happens!)

Which means 3 or 4 days of setting everything back up properly.
Which also (finally!) includes news group service.

It only takes me about a day but it's a PITA never-the-less.

One advantage I see in a new build is that the machine seems to boot and
run lot faster (for a while) until the bloat and constipation set in
(for some reason I don't fully understand).

Laurie Forbes

I've seen this too. For that reason, I put in a new HD and start from
scratch once/year. Great winter day project. I'm curious, I don't have
media for my new W7 box, just the COA. Am I going to be able to
download W7 media when i get there?

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Laurie Forbes" wrote in message
One advantage I see in a new build is that the machine seems to boot and
run lot faster (for a while) until the bloat and constipation set in (for
some reason I don't fully understand).
Laurie Forbes

Try defragmenting C: occasionally. My 7 machine slowed down after an update
to SP1, I assume because the new O/S files were larger and scattered
themselves across free space. A defrag reduced the boot time from 2:20 to
1:04.

jsw