Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default R.C.M.

On Sun, 07 Aug 2011 04:51:51 GMT, "Harold & Susan Vordos"
wrote:

I'm still locked in to the gear of old. I'll install a Crown reel to reel
tape deck, along with a Nakamichi 1000 II cassette player. No 8 track! :-)

Im pretty sure Ive got a Roberts 772 Reel to Reel or 2...tucked away
with an Akai reel to reel if anyone wants to trade Stuff for em

Gunner

--
"The danger to America is not Barack Obama but a citizenry
capable of entrusting a man like him with the Presidency.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 8/7/2011 10:14 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Laurie wrote in message
One advantage I see in a new build is that the machine seems to boot and
run lot faster (for a while) until the bloat and constipation set in (for
some reason I don't fully understand).
Laurie Forbes

Try defragmenting C: occasionally. My 7 machine slowed down after an update
to SP1, I assume because the new O/S files were larger and scattered
themselves across free space. A defrag reduced the boot time from 2:20 to
1:04.

jsw

I do defrag occasionally but it doesn't seem to help all that much. I
also use MSCONFIG (XP)to disable a bunch of unnecessary startup items
(almost every program you add seems to want to load & run something at
boot time).

Another annoying (and ironic) problem I've always had is that repeated
use of hibernate or suspend really bogs things down after several days
and the only remedy I can find is to reboot.

Laurie Forbes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Laurie wrote in message
[...]

Have you had a look in task manager when that happens to see if a
process is using a lot of CPU time. My Windows box slows from time to
time and the culprit is invariably a HP service associated with the
printer. I just terminate it and let it sort itself out again.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

From...
http://www.intelliadmin.com/index.ph...g-to-start-up/

1. The prefetch cache

The first tip I want to talk about is the windows prefetch. Windows XP
has this feature that loads commonly used programs – at boot time.

Here is how it works: Yesterday you used MS Word, and Duke Nukem 3D.
Today you boot your system to check e-mail. It sees parts of these two
programs in the prefetch folder and loads them into memory before
windows completes the boot process. The benefit is faster application
launch times. If you really wanted to use MS Word, it would pop up
really quick when you double clicked on it.

The problem is most people have been running windows for years, and the
prefetch gets clogged with stuff that you almost never use. Windows
takes forever to boot because it is prefetching a 1.0 copy of Napster,
and you just want to check your email before you have to go to work.

What can be done about it? Well there are a few things we can do to
tweak the prefetch cache. One method is to disable it partially, and
this can be done quite easily.

Simply browse to the windows folder (Ex: C:\Windows) and under there you
should see the prefetch folder. Go into the prefetch folder and delete
all the files (Careful! It should look like this c:\windows\prefetch)
And here is a screenshot of one if you still have questions

The first thing to note is the next reboot will be slow. This is because
windows needs to relearn the prefetch for system files. Subsequent boots
will run much faster since the sludge of programs has been removed, and
only new ones are in the cache.

The trouble is that it will only help you for a while – until the
prefetch gets clogged up again. We need to edit a registry key to tweak
it. Open regedit and browse to this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Session
Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters

Under this key you should see a value named: EnablePrefetcher

It has 4 possible values:

0 – Disabled : The prefetch system is turned off.

1 – Application : The prefetch only caches applications.

2 – Boot : The prefetch only caches boot system files.

3 – All : The prefetch caches boot, and application files.

We don’t want to disable it entirely. This would actually make boot
times *longer*. This is because this feature is also used to speed up
the loading of boot files. That is why we are going to pick the number 2
option. It allows us to keep the advantage of caching system files,
without continually clogging the system up with applications.

Set the value to 2 and reboot.

The 2nd time you boot it should boot much faster. Remember that the side
effect is that launching individual applications once windows has loaded
will now be slightly slower.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I'm still locked in to the gear of old. I'll install a Crown reel
to reel tape deck, along with a Nakamichi 1000 II cassette player.
No 8 track! :-)

Im pretty sure Ive got a Roberts 772 Reel to Reel or 2...tucked away
with an Akai reel to reel if anyone wants to trade Stuff for em

Gunner

My Toshiba PT862D is up in the attic ... but I'm not sure where the reels
to it are .
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:
On Sun, 07 Aug 2011 09:23:34 -0600, Laurie Forbes
wrote:

On 8/4/2011 8:28 PM, Richard wrote:
All the BS can be depressing, but -

I had to reload Windows on my desk machine. (I hate when that
happens!)

Which means 3 or 4 days of setting everything back up properly.
Which also (finally!) includes news group service.

It only takes me about a day but it's a PITA never-the-less.

One advantage I see in a new build is that the machine seems to boot
and run lot faster (for a while) until the bloat and constipation
set in (for some reason I don't fully understand).

Laurie Forbes

I've seen this too. For that reason, I put in a new HD and start from
scratch once/year. Great winter day project. I'm curious, I don't have
media for my new W7 box, just the COA. Am I going to be able to
download W7 media when i get there?

Karl

www.kickasstorrents.com has several versions available for download . Just
use your original numbers instead of the bogus ones they supply .

--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 8/7/2011 1:25 PM, Richard wrote:

[...]

PS: when using regedit, just search for EnablePrefetcher.

The rest of that long string is made up of section names and does not
exist as a search term.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Richard" wrote in message
[...]

WOW! Big improvement. Thanks, Richard.

Do you have any more tips like that?

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 8/7/2011 3:36 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:

WOW! Big improvement. Thanks, Richard.

Do you have any more tips like that?

Nothing that will be as dramatic all at once.
But the usual suspects...

Don't load every utility under the sun in the quick start box.
Remove those that you don't actually need often.

These days, it is trend for most of the program to add themselves in
startup registry so that they run as soon as you boot XP, gradually
normal user end up with a load of startup programs using system
resources for no reason.

For example, Yahoo messenger will load itself in the system tray
But it is of no use until you are not really using it.

Do: Start -- Run -- (Type "msconfig")
You will see following screen, now goto "Startup" .

Disable all unwanted service / application like Yahoo messenger, MS
office startup, anything you don't use. Make sure you do not disable
your "Antivirus" at startup, I have two-three things enabled at startup
which I really need running all the time.
And I run shipsbell.exe as a service so it starts automatically.

Now press "OK" to apply.

NOTE: If you are unsure about certain service or program listed there
then simply give a search on internet by its name and you will find its
detail so you can decide to disable or not to disable.

Fonts add a lot of overhead.
So adding every cute font will slow you down.

Clean out the registry once in a while. That's an IFFY one because you
can mess up the computer really well really easily. But it is a
noticeable change if the registry is bloated.

Delete temporary files. Problem is some require special tools just to
get at. This is one of them...

C:\Documents and Settings\[your profile Name]\Local Settings\Temporary
Internet Files\Content.IE5
Probably as clogged as grandpa's arteries...

If you have less than 2 gig of RAM (on XP) upgrade to 2 at least!
You can go to 4 on XP, which is fairly cheap these days and it makes
a big difference.

Defrag often.

Live right.
Drink good beer be nice to your wife and eat your vegetables...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Richard" wrote in message
m...
On 8/7/2011 3:36 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:

WOW! Big improvement. Thanks, Richard.

Do you have any more tips like that?

Nothing that will be as dramatic all at once.
But the usual suspects...

Don't load every utility under the sun in the quick start box.
Remove those that you don't actually need often.

These days, it is trend for most of the program to add themselves in
startup registry so that they run as soon as you boot XP, gradually normal
user end up with a load of startup programs using system resources for no
reason.

For example, Yahoo messenger will load itself in the system tray
But it is of no use until you are not really using it.

Do: Start -- Run -- (Type "msconfig")
[...]

Thanks, Richard. Those are now in my maintenance-tips folder. I do some of
them already -- I clean the temp folder every few days -- but others are new
to me.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Laurie Forbes" wrote in message
I do defrag occasionally but it doesn't seem to help all that much. I
also use MSCONFIG (XP)to disable a bunch of unnecessary startup items
(almost every program you add seems to want to load & run something at
boot time).

Another annoying (and ironic) problem I've always had is that repeated use
of hibernate or suspend really bogs things down after several days and the
only remedy I can find is to reboot.

Laurie Forbes

Same here, after hibernating for several days IE8 can't find the modem
dialer.

This is a Microsoft insider's personal improvement on Task Manager:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s...rnals/bb896653

It shows the active processes and how much of the CPU and memory they tie
up. It puts a handy mini graph of CPU activity down by the clock. I still
use v.11 for its simpler display.

HijackThis is a powerful (and dangerous) tool for detecting and removing
unwanted parasite programs by their registry entries.
http://free.antivirus.com/hijackthis/

I wouldn't be as daring with it if I didn't make reloadable C: backups.

The dealer installed and recommended Advanced System Care on this
second-hand laptop:
http://www.iobit.com/advancedsystemcareper.html

I've slowly been enabling more and more of its mysterious automatic repair
functions and haven't lost anything valuable to it yet, but again I have
recent backups of C: and on desktops I have several copies of the system in
plug-in hard drive cartridges so I can experiment on a spare copy. Too bad
that isn't available for medical and dental procedures.

There are many other such utilities, some of which I've tried and liked
less. Those three have good provenance and are reasonably easy to learn for
occasional use.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I was having a small ntdll.dll problem - now fixed, but it was an
educational process.

One thing I found out was that Linix can't read an NTFS formatted drive.

That truly created a high quality vacuum!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 8/7/2011 5:07 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

[...]

Thanks Jim - I'll give them a try (running ASC now).

Laurie Forbes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 8/7/2011 12:25 PM, Richard wrote:
From...
http://www.intelliadmin.com/index.ph...g-to-start-up/

Fortisimo! I've been looking for years for an explanation of why boot
slows with little success (other than MSCONFIG to clean up start-up).

Thanks much.

Laurie Forbes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Richard wrote:

I was having a small ntdll.dll problem - now fixed, but it was an
educational process.

One thing I found out was that Linix can't read an NTFS formatted drive.

They can _READ_ it just fine, it's just that all the sane programmers are
afraid to try to get around the MICRO$~1 virus to write to it safely.

Hope This Helps!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 8/7/2011 9:25 PM, Rich Grise wrote:
Richard wrote:

I was having a small ntdll.dll problem - now fixed, but it was an
educational process.

One thing I found out was that Linix can't read an NTFS formatted drive.

They can _READ_ it just fine, it's just that all the sane programmers are
afraid to try to get around the MICRO$~1 virus to write to it safely.

Hope This Helps!
Rich

Don't help so much, Rich.
It didn't help.

my drives are all formatted NTFS because I store full length movies and
watch them on the computer instead of TV. I don't getall the fuss about
1080p. My monitor was better than that YEARS ago!

None of that has ANYTHING to do with viruses!
(Viper handles that quite well, thank you very much)

Anyway, I had tried to load my Ubuntu Live system to see if I could copy
over a couple of files and avoid the total rebuild.

Ubuntu saw the floppy (oh goodie!) and the CD/DVD drives, but didn't see
a singe one of the others.
Two internal hard drives, 4 external USB drives, and a dozen USP thumb
drives... All NTFS.

Fail...

In the end, I guess it was a good experience. I managed to get ALL the
boot/reload stuff organized onto 24 CDs and have it all in a single
small CD book now.

And I think I finished up today getting my old address book back.

Three days - not too bad.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Laurie Forbes" wrote in message
On 8/7/2011 12:25 PM, Richard wrote:
From...
http://www.intelliadmin.com/index.ph...g-to-start-up/

Fortisimo! I've been looking for years for an explanation of why boot
slows with little success (other than MSCONFIG to clean up start-up).

Laurie Forbes

I measured no difference in XP boot times with C:\Windows\Prefetch as-is,
empty, and with only the system boot files. I timed from Power to the User
select window (0:43) and then separately to the desktop (0:15). Continuing
disk activity after the desktop appears is difficult to time because it
doesn't stop cleanly, and has less effect anyway.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Richard wrote:

On 8/7/2011 3:36 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:

WOW! Big improvement. Thanks, Richard.

Do you have any more tips like that?

Nothing that will be as dramatic all at once.
But the usual suspects...

Don't load every utility under the sun in the quick start box.
Remove those that you don't actually need often.

These days, it is trend for most of the program to add themselves in
startup registry so that they run as soon as you boot XP, gradually
normal user end up with a load of startup programs using system
resources for no reason.

For example, Yahoo messenger will load itself in the system tray
But it is of no use until you are not really using it.

Do: Start -- Run -- (Type "msconfig")
[...]

I use Revo Uninstaller to delete programs. It uses the program's
unistall information, then all the residue left behind. One program I
removed recently left over 20,000 entries in the registry and almost
10,000 other dead files that were scattered all over the hard drive.
There is a free version, and a paid version. I usually download the
free version on the person's computer and run it at their house.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Richard" wrote in message
m...
Delete temporary files. Problem is some require special tools just to get
at. This is one of them...

C:\Documents and Settings\[your profile Name]\Local Settings\Temporary
Internet Files\Content.IE5
Probably as clogged as grandpa's arteries...

From beer and Grandma's butter-drenched vegetables.

\Content.IE5 is accessible from another XP administrative account if you
turn off Simple File Sharing and enable access to it in Security. It may
appear as one big folder in the currently active account, so I created
another administrator account that never goes on line to view and delete all
other's Temp Internet trash, including the \DFGHJPOIUYT subfolders, index
and desktop.ini. That's from memory as I can't see it from the restricted
account I browse and post in. PropertiesDisk Cleanup and Advanced System
Care -should- handle this but my follow-up checks prior to making C: backups
have found unremoved files.

Notice the two spaces between sentences?
jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 8/8/2011 7:23 AM, David Billington wrote:
Richard wrote:
I was having a small ntdll.dll problem - now fixed, but it was an
educational process.

One thing I found out was that Linix can't read an NTFS formatted drive.

That truly created a high quality vacuum!

I've sent the following link to a couple of non Linux literate mates and
they used it to read files from apparently corrupted or non bootable
NTFS drives quite easily.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...dows-computer/

David, John,

Thank you both. I;ll dig into it more.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 08 Aug 2011 13:23:27 +0100, David Billington
wrote:

Richard wrote:
I was having a small ntdll.dll problem - now fixed, but it was an
educational process.

One thing I found out was that Linix can't read an NTFS formatted drive.

That truly created a high quality vacuum!

I've sent the following link to a couple of non Linux literate mates and
they used it to read files from apparently corrupted or non bootable
NTFS drives quite easily.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...dows-computer/

Excellent!!!

Gunner

--
"The danger to America is not Barack Obama but a citizenry
capable of entrusting a man like him with the Presidency.
It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of an
Obama presidency than to restore the necessary common sense
and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have
such a man for their? president.. Blaming the prince of the
fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of
fools that made him their prince".
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Richard wrote:
On 8/7/2011 3:36 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:

WOW! Big improvement. Thanks, Richard.

Do you have any more tips like that?

Nothing that will be as dramatic all at once.
But the usual suspects...

Don't load every utility under the sun in the quick start box.
Remove those that you don't actually need often.

These days, it is trend for most of the program to add themselves in
startup registry so that they run as soon as you boot XP, gradually
normal user end up with a load of startup programs using system
resources for no reason.

For example, Yahoo messenger will load itself in the system tray
But it is of no use until you are not really using it.

Do: Start -- Run -- (Type "msconfig")
[...]

Gotta click on "show hidden folders" in control panel/folder options /
"view" tab to see the local settings/temp internet files ...

--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Richard" wrote in message
m...

Delete temporary files. Problem is some require special tools just to get
at. This is one of them...

C:\Documents and Settings\[your profile Name]\Local Settings\Temporary
Internet Files\Content.IE5
Probably as clogged as grandpa's arteries...

From beer and Grandma's butter-drenched vegetables.

\Content.IE5 is accessible from another XP administrative account if you
turn off Simple File Sharing and enable access to it in Security. It may
appear as one big folder in the currently active account, so I created
another administrator account that never goes on line to view and delete all
other's Temp Internet trash, including the \DFGHJPOIUYT subfolders, index
and desktop.ini. That's from memory as I can't see it from the restricted
account I browse and post in. PropertiesDisk Cleanup and Advanced System
Care -should- handle this but my follow-up checks prior to making C: backups
have found unremoved files.

Notice the two spaces between sentences?
jsw

I fell foul of the "Simple file sharing" a few months ago, can't
remember the specifics now but as usual these days google proved more
useful than a MSDN subscription. Took a number of hours to turn up that
turning that damn setting off solved the problem. Behind me now as I'm
largely out of software and back into metal work.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"David Billington" wrote in message
Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Richard" wrote in message ...
\Content.IE5 is accessible from another XP administrative account if you
turn off Simple File Sharing and enable access to it in Security. ...
jsw

I fell foul of the "Simple file sharing" a few months ago, can't remember
the specifics now but as usual these days google proved more useful than a
MSDN subscription. Took a number of hours to turn up that turning that
damn setting off solved the problem. Behind me now as I'm largely out of
software and back into metal work.

The down side is that without it you wander through the uncharted wilderness
of security permissions. I keep a log of all changes I make.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Richard wrote:

A LOT of really good tips . Which I have copied and pasted into a folder
for future use .

*THANK* *YOU* !!

--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 8/8/2011 4:29 PM, Snag wrote:

Live right.
Drink good beer be nice to your wife and eat your vegetables...

Gotta click on "show hidden folders" in control panel/folder options /
"view" tab to see the local settings/temp internet files ...

can you find content.IE5?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Richard wrote:
On 8/8/2011 4:29 PM, Snag wrote:

Live right.
Drink good beer be nice to your wife and eat your vegetables...

Gotta click on "show hidden folders" in control panel/folder options
/ "view" tab to see the local settings/temp internet files ...

can you find content.IE5?

Yup , a friend of mine is an IT guy for a big corp . He showed me how to
find it , gotta show hiddens , then type it into the address bar the first
time . They really don't want the average user to find this stuff ... I
don't consider myself all that as a computer guy , but I usually dig until I
find out what I want/need to know .

--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Richard wrote:
All the BS can be depressing, but -

I had to reload Windows on my desk machine. (I hate when that happens!)

Which means 3 or 4 days of setting everything back up properly.
Which also (finally!) includes news group service.

So, while digging though 110 THOUSAND topics I learned that most of the
topics are dead as the dodo. Savagly killed and the bodies left as a
warning to anyone passing by.

So be thankful that this group, despite the noise to signal ratio that
you may not like, is alive.

That's something very special...

I started to backup my hard drive this morning to an external 1 TB
Seagate Free Agent drive. The backup program ran for about 30 seconds
and the system crashed. The hard drive died, and the external drive is
trashed, so I may have lost everything. Seagate doesn't recognize the
serial number as valid, even though that ST31000528AS drive is only a
couple months old. I pulled the drive and tried it in an external
housing on another computer. It ran a couple seconds and disappeared
from the list of drives. Seagate wants a report form their Seatools
program, but you can't get one if the drive isn't seen. I'm on a Dell
running Vista. I had to change newsreaders to access the group.

Seamonkey sucks, even though it is the successor to the older
Netscape software. This mess looks like it was written by someone how
had never used Usenet. I'm about ready to though the whole mess in the
driveway and drive over it, repeatedly. This is the first hard drive
I've had fail in over 12 years, and it had everything on it. The backup
files on other drives, USB sticks and CD-R are either too old or
unreadable. If I disappear, you'll know I finally gave up. I can't
afford a new system, and I'm tired of spending money to keep the old one
running. This may be goodbye to all the newsgroups I frequent.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 08 Aug 2011 22:20:36 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Richard wrote:
[...]

My phone number is 805 732 5308 if I can be of any help.

I run into puters with some regularlity...........

Gunner

--
"The danger to America is not Barack Obama but a citizenry
capable of entrusting a man like him with the Presidency.
It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of an
Obama presidency than to restore the necessary common sense
and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have
such a man for their? president.. Blaming the prince of the
fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of
fools that made him their prince".

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 8/8/2011 9:13 PM, Snag wrote:
Richard wrote:
On 8/8/2011 4:29 PM, Snag wrote:

Live right.
Drink good beer be nice to your wife and eat your vegetables...

Gotta click on "show hidden folders" in control panel/folder options
/ "view" tab to see the local settings/temp internet files ...

can you find content.IE5?

Yup , a friend of mine is an IT guy for a big corp . He showed me how to
find it , gotta show hiddens , then type it into the address bar the first
time . They really don't want the average user to find this stuff ... I
don't consider myself all that as a computer guy , but I usually dig until I
find out what I want/need to know .

Fair trade then!

Thanks.

Richard

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
snip-

Define "cool, west coast sound" for me, 'Arry.

The likes of Dave Brubeck, for one. He was from California and played all
over the west coast, including many performances in Utah, where I saw him
numerous times.
By sharp contrast, I could offer you Cannonball Adderly, playing 74 Miles
Away (not a cool west coast sound). I like that, too, but it's not quite
the same for me. Especially as I've grown older.

So, what did you do differently in building the
house to enhance the sound?

Not so much to enhance the sound as to accommodate the system. Some of the
walls will be carpeted, which helps with reflected sound, and the stereo
room is almost 32' front to back, which helps cover the listening spectrum
without standing waves. We have a pair of JBL S8R speakers in the C-50
Olympus enclosure, plus a JBL Paragon. They'll be used side by side, so the
room is about 21' wide to accommodate them. The room will have a wet bar
and is lit such that I can enjoy a nightclub type of atmosphere. I like to
sit in semi-darkness when I listen, sipping a scotch and water. I have
emulated, in a small way, the much smaller stereo room I created years ago
when I lived in Utah. This one is about twice it's size, however.

When I'm depressed (very seldom nowadays) I crank up some old tunes
and rock out for an hour or two. My Bose 501 woofers went, but some
automobile 6x9s fit the space with a backer board, and they sound fair
to middlin'.

The key to the sound Bose developed depended more on speaker location than
anything. I placed my S8R system facing the wall when we lived in the
castle (to protect the grills. We had very little room where we lived while
working on the building). The sound created was astonishing.

If I had endless funds (and a much larger room) and add a set of Bozak
Concert Grands to the mix. I don't like their appearance all that well,
but they use a huge series of paper speakers (JBL uses horns except for the
lows 15" woofers). They produce a bold and gentle sound, much easier on
the ears than are the JBL's. Lots of presence with them, but they handle
power like you can't believe, and stay sharp and crisp.

Looking forward to shooting a game of pool and listening. There's a 14' x
25' room that adjoins the stereo room (no wall between them). Three steps
that run the width (25') drop the floor so there's a 10' ceiling where the
pool table will sit. Plenty of room to take shots, and enough head room so
you don't hit the ceiling with the stick. The stairway is covered entirely
in black slate, with a walnut hardwood floor under the pool table. Walls,
like those in some of the stereo room, will be covered with carpet.

An adult play pen, really. :-)

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Harold & Susan Vordos" wrote in message
"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
snip-

Define "cool, west coast sound" for me, 'Arry.

The likes of Dave Brubeck, for one. He was from California and played all
over the west coast, including many performances in Utah, where I saw him
numerous times.

Yes! Yes! Yes!
A personal favourite as well, though, sadly, never in person.

I understand that he was so sick and tired of playing "Take 5" at every live
show the Quartet, that he produced and played a sardonic much-faster up
tempo version of it, just to get it out of the way quickly. Don't know if
he called it "Take 2½" but he should've.

My set of "Time Signatures" is well-worn, if CDs wear.

--
Jeff R.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...
I started to backup my hard drive this morning to an external 1 TB
Seagate Free Agent drive. The backup program ran for about 30 seconds and
the system crashed. The hard drive died, and the external drive is
trashed, so I may have lost everything. Seagate doesn't recognize the
serial number as valid, even though that ST31000528AS drive is only a
couple months old. I pulled the drive and tried it in an external housing
on another computer. It ran a couple seconds and disappeared from the
list of drives. Seagate wants a report form their Seatools program, but
you can't get one if the drive isn't seen. ...

FWIW, the Iomega USB-powered drive I use for first-line backups has crashed
twice when run off a BUSlink Cardbus USB hub in the laptop. Both times I
moved it to the laptop's built-in USB ports where Check Disk fixed it at
bootup, then it ran fine for hours. Neither ASC Disk Doctor nor HDTune can
find any problem with it.

The oldest, least valuable PC I own that can still (Feb 2011) function on
the Net is a 933MHz Dell running Win2000 and IE6, with AVG v8.5 antivirus
and the Zonealarm firewall. The same programs clog a 500MHz laptop. This
1.6GHz D610 laptop with XP SP3 and IE8 dates from 2005 and is fast enough
for Comcast broadband, though at home I have dialup.

IOW you don't need to spend much on an older computer to get online. The
only issue I've had with used office machines has been their limited mobo
video and lack of AGP or PCI-E slots to upgrade it. I got good-enough HDTV
results from a Radeon 9250 in a plain PCI slot.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 09 Aug 2011 08:25:35 GMT, "Harold & Susan Vordos"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
snip-

Define "cool, west coast sound" for me, 'Arry.

The likes of Dave Brubeck, for one. He was from California and played all
over the west coast, including many performances in Utah, where I saw him
numerous times.

I fell in love with Take Five way back when, probably my intro to jazz
in my teen years.

By sharp contrast, I could offer you Cannonball Adderly, playing 74 Miles
Away (not a cool west coast sound). I like that, too, but it's not quite
the same for me. Especially as I've grown older.

The only version of 74 I could find to listen to was by the Pierre
Anckaert Trio. Good stuff, also an early influential style for me. I
gave up music with vocals at an early age, _much_ preferring anything
instrumental to some screamer. Although he had vocals, John Mayall's
music caught my ear, especially the "Jazz Blues Fusion" album.

So, what did you do differently in building the
house to enhance the sound?

Not so much to enhance the sound as to accommodate the system. Some of the
walls will be carpeted, which helps with reflected sound, and the stereo
room is almost 32' front to back, which helps cover the listening spectrum
without standing waves. We have a pair of JBL S8R speakers in the C-50
Olympus enclosure, plus a JBL Paragon. They'll be used side by side, so the
room is about 21' wide to accommodate them. The room will have a wet bar
and is lit such that I can enjoy a nightclub type of atmosphere. I like to
sit in semi-darkness when I listen, sipping a scotch and water. I have
emulated, in a small way, the much smaller stereo room I created years ago
when I lived in Utah. This one is about twice it's size, however.

And just a bit less reflective than the castle walls?

When I'm depressed (very seldom nowadays) I crank up some old tunes
and rock out for an hour or two. My Bose 501 woofers went, but some
automobile 6x9s fit the space with a backer board, and they sound fair
to middlin'.

The key to the sound Bose developed depended more on speaker location than
anything. I placed my S8R system facing the wall when we lived in the
castle (to protect the grills. We had very little room where we lived while
working on the building). The sound created was astonishing.

Come to think of it, my buddy in Phoenix got a set of 901s. They're
the reason I jumped at the chance to get the used 501s years later.

If I had endless funds (and a much larger room) and add a set of Bozak
Concert Grands to the mix. I don't like their appearance all that well,
but they use a huge series of paper speakers (JBL uses horns except for the
lows 15" woofers). They produce a bold and gentle sound, much easier on
the ears than are the JBL's. Lots of presence with them, but they handle
power like you can't believe, and stay sharp and crisp.

Nice!

Looking forward to shooting a game of pool and listening. There's a 14' x
25' room that adjoins the stereo room (no wall between them). Three steps
that run the width (25') drop the floor so there's a 10' ceiling where the
pool table will sit. Plenty of room to take shots, and enough head room so
you don't hit the ceiling with the stick. The stairway is covered entirely
in black slate, with a walnut hardwood floor under the pool table. Walls,
like those in some of the stereo room, will be covered with carpet.

Yeah, rooms get too bright too easily, until the sound becomes tinny.
I think that I came to prefer carpeting to hardwood flooring early on
in my audiophile days as much for sound as for comfort. Ditto wall-to-
wall drapes. I hadn't realized how deeply that feeling ran until just
now.

An adult play pen, really. :-)

I won't ask, but I trust that you'll stock it with a first aid kit for
rug burns.

--
I merely took the energy it takes to pout and wrote some blues.
--Duke Ellington

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 8/6/2011 9:24 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sat, 06 Aug 2011 08:27:35 GMT, "Harold& Susan Vordos"
wrote:

"Jeff wrote in message
u...
snip----

Jeff R.
(prefers Ortofon to Shure, anyway)

Heh! Just happened to notice your sig line. Any comments on Supex?

I was always an Audio Technica kinda guy. Crikey, how many decades
has it been since I subscribed to Stereo Review mag? 4, I think.
You guys brought back fond memories of times before my tinnitus, when
my hearing was good enough for me to be a foolish _audiophile_.

--
Worry is a misuse of imagination.
-- Dan Zadra

Back at school, I bought a Mcintosh amp and pre-amp that were fubar. I
learned a LOT getting them working. Then I picked up and repaired a set
of EPI mini-towers with blown cross-overs. I was "King of the Dorm"!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 7 Aug 2011 16:36:56 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"Richard" wrote in message
From...

snip

WOW! Big improvement. Thanks, Richard.

Do you have any more tips like that?

==================
I aint Richard, but one of the best computer investments I
have made is the Iolo System Mechanic Pro, assuming you are
running Windows. It is an all in one tool kit, that has a
system guard to detect attempts for programs to change your
system settings, a virus checker and a fire wall. The
newest version also updates your drivers. It can also
optimize your registry, windows startup, internet connection
etc. and can recover from many kinds of HD problems.

http://iolo.com/

download free trial
http://iolo.com/downloads.aspx

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"F. George McDuffee" wrote in message
On Sun, 7 Aug 2011 16:36:56 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"Richard" wrote in message
From...

snip

WOW! Big improvement. Thanks, Richard.

Do you have any more tips like that?

==================
I aint Richard, but one of the best computer investments I
have made is the Iolo System Mechanic Pro, assuming you are
running Windows. It is an all in one tool kit, that has a
system guard to detect attempts for programs to change your
system settings, a virus checker and a fire wall. The
newest version also updates your drivers. It can also
optimize your registry, windows startup, internet connection
etc. and can recover from many kinds of HD problems.

http://iolo.com/

download free trial
http://iolo.com/downloads.aspx

Thanks, George. I'll take a look.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

? wrote:

?Richard wrote:
?? All the BS can be depressing, but -
??
?? I had to reload Windows on my desk machine. (I hate when that happens!)
??
?? Which means 3 or 4 days of setting everything back up properly.
?? Which also (finally!) includes news group service.
??
?? So, while digging though 110 THOUSAND topics I learned that most of the
?? topics are dead as the dodo. Savagly killed and the bodies left as a
?? warning to anyone passing by.
??
?? So be thankful that this group, despite the noise to signal ratio that
?? you may not like, is alive.
??
?? That's something very special...
?
?
[...]

It looks like I was bit by Seagate's 'BSY' firmware bug. It affects
a lot of their newer hard drives, and there is a firmware update, but
they don't tell you about it. they also tel you not to use it if you
don't need it. By the time you discover the need, the drive has
failed. Some people report success with a USB to TTL serial interface
and Hyperterm to sent a rest command though the unlabeled four pin port
on the back of the drive that's next to the data port. This is a 1 TB
drive that was in use for under 10 months. It has all the work I've
done for a couple website launches, and details about a lot of other
projects. The backup data on an old drive is trash. I dug out the drive
I replaced with the Seagate and put it back in the computer. I have too
much invested in it to start over. It's a Optiplex GX620 with a dual
core 3.0 GHz processor and 3 GB of new RAM. I am going to try to reset
that drive and recover my data, but Seagate goes back to the bottom of
the list on new drives, again. I preferred WD and a couple Japanese
brands when I owned a computer store, but everyone was telling me that
Seagate was the best on the market, and had the best warranty. If they
are the best, everyone is screwed.

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" ? wrote in message
m...
? ...
[...]

Thanks, Jim, but I do have other computers I can get on line with. I
need this system to do some projects on, the others are all too slow.
It's biggest fault is the size. SFF and need low profile cards for the
two PCI slots.

IOW you don't need to spend much on an older computer to get online. The
only issue I've had with used office machines has been their limited mobo
video and lack of AGP or PCI-E slots to upgrade it. I got good-enough HDTV
results from a Radeon 9250 in a plain PCI slot.

I run mostly retired business computers. I get them for free, but a
lot are too old to fool with, or like the one Vista computer I have,
barely have enough RAM to boot. I had to buy 4 GB for it, and it needs
more than the 120 GB HD it has. I haven't seen too many SATA drives yet,
and most act like the Seagate that just bricked. The computer doesn't
see it, and you can't boot the computer if it is used as a secondary
drive.

I had a nice 21" HP CRT monitor with 1536*2048 resolution, but the
flyback failed. I could have four normal web pages open, or a page & my
web tools all at the same time. I really miss that monitor, and all it
cost was gasoline to bring it home. The county IT office was pitching
it, since it had been replaced, and none of the qualified charities
wanted it. They called a Catholic thrift store that collects computer
stuff for me, who gave them my phone number. I picked up a full pickup
load of stuff that had to be disposed of, but was never claimed. That
monitor had a bright green display when it was first powered up. I
left it on a few hours and it looked better. Then I ran the auto
calibrate a few times and it looked great.

The Netscape software I'm using right now ran fine on a 500 MHz
Etower with 32 MB of RAM. Current programs want more than that for
simple programs.

enough left over to pay them.