Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington David Billington is offline

Default R.C.M.

Laurie Forbes wrote:
On 8/7/2011 10:14 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Laurie wrote in message
One advantage I see in a new build is that the machine seems to boot
and
run lot faster (for a while) until the bloat and constipation set in
(for
some reason I don't fully understand).
Laurie Forbes

Try defragmenting C: occasionally. My 7 machine slowed down after an
update
to SP1, I assume because the new O/S files were larger and scattered
themselves across free space. A defrag reduced the boot time from
1:04.

jsw

I do defrag occasionally but it doesn't seem to help all that much. I
also use MSCONFIG (XP)to disable a bunch of unnecessary startup items
(almost every program you add seems to want to load & run something at
boot time).

Another annoying (and ironic) problem I've always had is that repeated
use of hibernate or suspend really bogs things down after several days
and the only remedy I can find is to reboot.

Laurie Forbes

Have you had a look in task manager when that happens to see if a
process is using a lot of CPU time. My Windows box slows from time to
time and the culprit is invariably a HP service associated with the
printer. I just terminate it and let it sort itself out again.