Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default R.C.M.

"Richard" wrote in message
m...
On 8/7/2011 3:36 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:

WOW! Big improvement. Thanks, Richard.

Do you have any more tips like that?

Nothing that will be as dramatic all at once.
But the usual suspects...

Don't load every utility under the sun in the quick start box.
Remove those that you don't actually need often.

These days, it is trend for most of the program to add themselves in
startup registry so that they run as soon as you boot XP, gradually normal
user end up with a load of startup programs using system resources for no
reason.

For example, Yahoo messenger will load itself in the system tray
But it is of no use until you are not really using it.

Do: Start -- Run -- (Type "msconfig")
You will see following screen, now goto "Startup" .

Disable all unwanted service / application like Yahoo messenger, MS office
startup, anything you don't use. Make sure you do not disable your
"Antivirus" at startup, I have two-three things enabled at startup which I
really need running all the time.
And I run shipsbell.exe as a service so it starts automatically.

Now press "OK" to apply.

NOTE: If you are unsure about certain service or program listed there then
simply give a search on internet by its name and you will find its detail
so you can decide to disable or not to disable.

Fonts add a lot of overhead.
So adding every cute font will slow you down.

Clean out the registry once in a while. That's an IFFY one because you
can mess up the computer really well really easily. But it is a
noticeable change if the registry is bloated.

Delete temporary files. Problem is some require special tools just to get
at. This is one of them...

C:\Documents and Settings\[your profile Name]\Local Settings\Temporary
Internet Files\Content.IE5
Probably as clogged as grandpa's arteries...

If you have less than 2 gig of RAM (on XP) upgrade to 2 at least!
You can go to 4 on XP, which is fairly cheap these days and it makes
a big difference.

Defrag often.

Live right.
Drink good beer be nice to your wife and eat your vegetables...

Thanks, Richard. Those are now in my maintenance-tips folder. I do some of
them already -- I clean the temp folder every few days -- but others are new
to me.

--
Ed Huntress