Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold & Susan Vordos Harold & Susan Vordos is offline

Default R.C.M.

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Sat, 06 Aug 2011 08:27:35 GMT, "Harold & Susan Vordos"
wrote:

"Jeff R." wrote in message
.au...
snip----

Jeff R.
(prefers Ortofon to Shure, anyway)

Heh! Just happened to notice your sig line. Any comments on Supex?

I was always an Audio Technica kinda guy. Crikey, how many decades
has it been since I subscribed to Stereo Review mag? 4, I think.
You guys brought back fond memories of times before my tinnitus, when
my hearing was good enough for me to be a foolish _audiophile_.

I've had tinnitus in my left ear for at least 15 years, and now it shows up
(occasionaly) in my right ear. Left ear doesn't ring all the time, but far
too frequently. Surprisingly, you get used to it.
Don't know that I'd call myself an audiophile---but I've had good sound gear
since the mid 60's (a matter of opinion. Not everyone thinks McIntosh is as
great as I do). I really love our JBL speakers, too, although there's no
shortage of people that may not like them, either. Not my problem.

In spite of my less than stellar hearing, I still consider music to be one
of the most important things in my life. I'm far from a musician, but I
enjoy listening, and do so regularly. My taste in music has slowly
shifted---which is likely to be expected, much as one matures and weans
themselves from eating Pablum. Where I used to listen to rock and roll
(ahhhh! The good old days!) as a youngster, my listening pleasure shifted
towards jazz, made all the easier when the Beatles invaded what was, then,
to me, sacred territory---the realm of rock as we knew it here in the
States. By then folk music had already made a change in the listening
pleasure of many, so conditions were ripe for me to make a switch. I never
got accustomed to the Beatles, and were it not for some of the great tunes
Lennon & McCartney wrote, many of which have been played in a jazz idiom, I
likely would have still had considerable contempt for their brand of noise.
They were, single handedly, responsible for my immediate cessation of
listening to rock. Aside form occasional visits to an "oldies" station, I
have never returned. Don't miss it, and I don't miss Pablum, either.

Along the way, I was introduced to classical music, although through jazz.
Walter Carlos, on the Moog synthesizer, produced his album Switched on Bach,
about the same time Jacques Loussier was releasing his Play Bach series of
albums. Pierre Gosset, too, had released an album that had classical
overtones, which helped me start listening more and more to classical music.
I now favor classical, although primarily the baroque. Still listen to
plenty of jazz, although my favorite is still the cool, west coast sound.

So then, to me, listening to the stereo is still a top priority. The house
we're building (almost finished) was designed around the stereo system.

Yeah! It's important to me.

Harold