Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Gold and Silver Fun today

Had an intresting experience today. I Stoped in two pawn shops to
inquire as to what they were paying for silver bullion and gold coins.
You would think these people would know what they are doing.
Seems like they don't much at all when it comes to PM. I asked
the person how much they are paying for kruggerrands, the person
asked me how many karets they are, WTF ok i explain to them that
the coins i have contain 1oz of gold each. The person then asks again
how many karets ? so i say 24. Person then asks how many gramms
i have, i say each coin has 1 troy ounce. Person then tells me thats
32 grams. Ok so how much ? person says $900.00 i chuckle and
ask how about silver bullion. Person says they only pay $2.00 a gram
because they have to send it in to be refined. Now i ask myself were
they trying to play me or are they really that dumb. Second place
asks me what bullion is, calls over the head honcho and asks him.
Boss man says they don't buy silver but was intrested in they coins
at the gold content value. Well next week i am gonna stop in
at the pawn stars place and see what rick will offer.
Found a place called midstates refining and seem they work
on a 5% commision, anyone here ever do bussines with them ?
Can anyone recomend a honest PM dealer?

Best Regards
Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-07-31, azotic wrote:
[...]

My Mom once found a silver picture frame (600 grams) in garbage. I
suggested to her that she should visit at least 5 places. The first
were as you described, but then she found someone decent.

I recently won 2 lbs of 56% silver brazing rods on ebay for $113, and
no pawn shop would take them. I sold them on ebay again for $450.

I would think that most pawn shops are both stupid and dishonest, or
"crafty".

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus11951" wrote in message
news
On 2011-07-31, azotic wrote:
[...]

Yeah from what i seen today i think they are just stupid. Will see
next week if pawn stars lives up to the hype and if rick knows
his ****.

When i was in chicago i dealt with some realy good people.
I sold a bunch of silver back in the late seventies to place
that payed me spot for that day i delivered the silver it
shure was sweet at $48.00 an ounce. Another guy bought
all the gold i could deliver, he paid me spot less 10%
in cash money.

Best Regards
Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-07-31, azotic wrote:
[...]

A lot of them started buying precious metals only recently. Perhaps,
before this they were picking up metal scrap from people's garbage or
were real estate agents. Now they are in precious metals.

When i was in chicago i dealt with some realy good people.
I sold a bunch of silver back in the late seventies to place
that payed me spot for that day i delivered the silver it
shure was sweet at $48.00 an ounce. Another guy bought
all the gold i could deliver, he paid me spot less 10%
in cash money.

Best Regards
Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/30/2011 11:15 PM, azotic wrote:
[...]

Normal pawn and coil shops won't pay much for precious bullion, since
nobody comes in to their business to buy it, and so they must re-sell it
to another dealer to get rid of it. The honest shops will basically
advise you to do that--they probably know where the nearest place
is--but if you /insist/ on selling it right then and there at a
considerable loss, they're not going to argue too much.

You need to find a shop that deals in bullion--that is, common-grade
(junk) non-numismatic gold and silver coins. And even so, they do take a
cut going both ways.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 31 Jul 2011 00:01:49 -0500, Ignoramus11951
wrote:

A lot of them started buying precious metals only recently. Perhaps,
before this they were picking up metal scrap from people's garbage or
were real estate agents. Now they are in precious metals.

Not only pawn shops, but around me are at least four stand alone stores that
buy nothing /but/ precious metals. Three of them even have folks standing at
the street holding up "We Buy Gold!" signs. Obviously have to be ripping people
off big time to afford rent and all the other overhead.
--
William
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I really wonder about the theft factor. Don't these places just scream
"fence" ? Very little jewelry is ever recovered, but this just about cuts
it to zero.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 31 Jul 2011 16:21:53 -0500, "DanGLT" wrote:

I really wonder about the theft factor. Don't these places just scream
"fence" ? Very little jewelry is ever recovered, but this just about cuts
it to zero.

Most..not all..but most states and municipalities have rather stringent
requirements for ID, description of goods etc etc. And they have to be
turned over to local law enforcement each week.

Thats part of the rules pawn shops and other such entities have to go
through.
Want to pawn or sell something? Then you better have official photo ID
in hand when you go into the shop.

The days seen in the movies of people walking in, haggling with the guy
behind the counter and collecting cash are long long gone.
And when pawning guns..the 4473 has to be filled out, fees have to be
paid etc etc. Sometimes..its not worth pawning guns unless they are
worth over a grand.

Gunner

m...
wrote:

A lot of them started buying precious metals only recently. Perhaps,
before this they were picking up metal scrap from people's garbage or
were real estate agents. Now they are in precious metals.

Not only pawn shops, but around me are at least four stand alone stores
that
buy nothing /but/ precious metals. Three of them even have folks standing
at
the street holding up "We Buy Gold!" signs. Obviously have to be ripping
people
off big time to afford rent and all the other overhead.

Exactly.

--
"The danger to America is not Barack Obama but a citizenry
capable of entrusting a man like him with the Presidency.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

azotic wrote:

[...]

Trading those in now would make about as much sense as flipping a
house in 2006.

Wait until after either the system gets fixed or Our Glorious Beloved
Infallible Leader introduces the second Weimar Republic; Imagine
holding on to them until gold hits 1,000,000.00/ounce!

Good Luck!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Rich Grise" wrote in message
azotic wrote:

[...]

Yep, in gold we trust. Looks like my PM IRA's beat the stock market.

http://www.midstatesrecycling.com/karat_kalc

Best Regards
Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

A lot of them started buying precious metals only recently. Perhaps,
before this they were picking up metal scrap from people's garbage or
were real estate agents. Now they are in precious metals.

Not only pawn shops, but around me are at least four stand alone stores
that
buy nothing /but/ precious metals. Three of them even have folks standing
at
the street holding up "We Buy Gold!" signs. Obviously have to be ripping
people
off big time to afford rent and all the other overhead.
--
William

You can do better selling PM on ebay, people are buying at near spot and
sometimes over. Of course you run the risk of being scamed.

Best Regards
Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"DanGLT" wrote in message
I really wonder about the theft factor. Don't these places just scream
"fence" ? Very little jewelry is ever recovered, but this just about cuts
it to zero.

They melt everything down and cast ingots. Then they send the ingots
to a refiner to recoup thier cash. No way the metal can be traced.

Best Regards
Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message

Most..not all..but most states and municipalities have rather stringent
requirements for ID, description of goods etc etc. And they have to be
turned over to local law enforcement each week.

Thats part of the rules pawn shops and other such entities have to go
through.
Want to pawn or sell something? Then you better have official photo ID
in hand when you go into the shop.

This dealer will also fingerprint you.

http://lasvegasjewelrybuyer.com/

Best Regards
Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

A lot of them started buying precious metals only recently. Perhaps,
before this they were picking up metal scrap from people's garbage or
were real estate agents. Now they are in precious metals.

Not only pawn shops, but around me are at least four stand alone stores
that
buy nothing /but/ precious metals. Three of them even have folks standing
at
the street holding up "We Buy Gold!" signs. Obviously have to be ripping
people
off big time to afford rent and all the other overhead.

You can do better selling PM on ebay, people are buying at near spot and
sometimes over. Of course you run the risk of being scamed.

Best Regards
Tom.

I sold a 100 oz silver bar on ebay once, it worked out OK, but was
scary.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The way gold has been hyped on a world wide basis -
the market might crash when profit taking starts.

Remember the silver and other trends that came to no good end.

Be careful. If you have physical - at least you have something.

Martin

On 7/31/2011 5:28 PM, Rich Grise wrote:
azotic wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 31 Jul 2011 18:55:51 -0700, "azotic" wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
.. .

Most..not all..but most states and municipalities have rather stringent
requirements for ID, description of goods etc etc. And they have to be
turned over to local law enforcement each week.

Thats part of the rules pawn shops and other such entities have to go
through.
Want to pawn or sell something? Then you better have official photo ID
in hand when you go into the shop.

This dealer will also fingerprint you.

http://lasvegasjewelrybuyer.com/

Best Regards
Tom.

Absolutely.

Gunner

--
"The danger to America is not Barack Obama but a citizenry
capable of entrusting a man like him with the Presidency.
It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of an
Obama presidency than to restore the necessary common sense
and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have
such a man for their? president.. Blaming the prince of the
fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of
fools that made him their prince".
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 31 Jul 2011 18:49:58 -0700, "azotic" wrote:

"DanGLT" wrote in message
I really wonder about the theft factor. Don't these places just scream
"fence" ? Very little jewelry is ever recovered, but this just about cuts
it to zero.

They melt everything down and cast ingots. Then they send the ingots
to a refiner to recoup thier cash. No way the metal can be traced.

Best Regards
Tom.

Jewelry must be held for a minumum of 90 days IRRC and a full
description of each item bought or pawned goes to the local law
enforcement agency for review.

--
"The danger to America is not Barack Obama but a citizenry
capable of entrusting a man like him with the Presidency.
It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of an
Obama presidency than to restore the necessary common sense
and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have
such a man for their? president.. Blaming the prince of the
fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of
fools that made him their prince".
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Martin Eastburn" wrote in message
The way gold has been hyped on a world wide basis -
the market might crash when profit taking starts.

Remember the silver and other trends that came to no good end.

Be careful. If you have physical - at least you have something.

Martin

It's a gamble, could be a bubble or the markets are adjusting for
inflation. No way to know for shure. In my opinion it's a inflation
adjustment. Food and fuel prices are up and will continue to rise.

Best Regards
Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"DanGLT" wrote in message
I really wonder about the theft factor. Don't these places just scream
"fence" ? Very little jewelry is ever recovered, but this just about
cuts
it to zero.

They melt everything down and cast ingots. Then they send the ingots
to a refiner to recoup thier cash. No way the metal can be traced.

Best Regards
Tom.

Jewelry must be held for a minumum of 90 days IRRC and a full
description of each item bought or pawned goes to the local law
enforcement agency for review.

Thats the way it works with pawn shops here in vegas. I was in a
pawn shop when a LEO came in and did an inspection, seen it
first hand.

It's the guys that buy jewery for cash no questions asked that handle
stolen stuff. Back in chicago there were some scrap yards that were
doing exactley that. They did eventually get caught buy the fbi when
a perp made a deal with the fbi and rated them out. The owner of the
scrap yard did time. I new the owner. He made a lot of money for a
number of years but the feds took everything in the end.

Best Regards
Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"DanGLT" wrote in message
I really wonder about the theft factor. Don't these places just scream
"fence" ? Very little jewelry is ever recovered, but this just about
cuts
it to zero.

They melt everything down and cast ingots. Then they send the ingots
to a refiner to recoup thier cash. No way the metal can be traced.

Best Regards
Tom.

Jewelry must be held for a minumum of 90 days IRRC and a full
description of each item bought or pawned goes to the local law
enforcement agency for review.

Thats the way it works with pawn shops here in vegas. I was in a
pawn shop when a LEO came in and did an inspection, seen it
first hand.

Probably shopping for something cool to steal like my wedding ring
they stole.

I'm a bit lost, why would you sell coins for weight? I once had a
1563 piece of eight and would have never sold it for weight, stolen
also.

SW
It's the guys that buy jewery for cash no questions asked that handle
stolen stuff. Back in chicago there were some scrap yards that were
doing exactley that. They did eventually get caught buy the fbi when
a perp made a deal with the fbi and rated them out. The owner of the
scrap yard did time. I new the owner. He made a lot of money for a
number of years but the feds took everything in the end.

Best Regards
Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

. ..

"DanGLT" wrote in message
I really wonder about the theft factor. Don't these places just scream
"fence" ? Very little jewelry is ever recovered, but this just about
cuts
it to zero.

They melt everything down and cast ingots. Then they send the ingots
to a refiner to recoup thier cash. No way the metal can be traced.

Best Regards
Tom.

Jewelry must be held for a minumum of 90 days IRRC and a full
description of each item bought or pawned goes to the local law
enforcement agency for review.

Thats the way it works with pawn shops here in vegas. I was in a
pawn shop when a LEO came in and did an inspection, seen it
first hand.

Probably shopping for something cool to steal like my wedding ring
they stole.

What do you mean?

I'm a bit lost, why would you sell coins for weight? I once had a
1563 piece of eight and would have never sold it for weight, stolen
also.

SW
It's the guys that buy jewery for cash no questions asked that handle
stolen stuff. Back in chicago there were some scrap yards that were
doing exactley that. They did eventually get caught buy the fbi when
a perp made a deal with the fbi and rated them out. The owner of the
scrap yard did time. I new the owner. He made a lot of money for a
number of years but the feds took everything in the end.

Best Regards
Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Sunworshipper" SW@GWNTUNDRA wrote in message

I'm a bit lost, why would you sell coins for weight? I once had a
1563 piece of eight and would have never sold it for weight, stolen
also.

Not gonna sell them for weight. I did a little reasearch and my
$20 gold pieces are worth way more than just weight. All my
stuff is legit and i have the original reciepts.

Best Regards
Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"DanGLT" wrote in message
[...]

Bad cops stealing from pawn shops.

SW

I'm a bit lost, why would you sell coins for weight? I once had a
1563 piece of eight and would have never sold it for weight, stolen
also.

SW
It's the guys that buy jewery for cash no questions asked that handle
stolen stuff. Back in chicago there were some scrap yards that were
doing exactley that. They did eventually get caught buy the fbi when
a perp made a deal with the fbi and rated them out. The owner of the
scrap yard did time. I new the owner. He made a lot of money for a
number of years but the feds took everything in the end.

Best Regards
Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"DanGLT" wrote in message
[...]

That's kind of shocking, how do they steal exactly? What is the scam?

I am also wondering, for jewelry thieves, why can't they melt stolen
jewelry and then sell gold ingots to pawnshops?

SW

I'm a bit lost, why would you sell coins for weight? I once had a
1563 piece of eight and would have never sold it for weight, stolen
also.

SW
It's the guys that buy jewery for cash no questions asked that handle
stolen stuff. Back in chicago there were some scrap yards that were
doing exactley that. They did eventually get caught buy the fbi when
a perp made a deal with the fbi and rated them out. The owner of the
scrap yard did time. I new the owner. He made a lot of money for a
number of years but the feds took everything in the end.

Best Regards
Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , Ignoramus13162 wrote:

I am also wondering, for jewelry thieves, why can't they melt stolen
jewelry and then sell gold ingots to pawnshops?

I'm guessing because pawnshops won't buy them.

Would you buy a gold ingot from an unknown source with no assay markings?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I am also wondering, for jewelry thieves, why can't they melt stolen
jewelry and then sell gold ingots to pawnshops?

They mail it in to one of the online refiners after they melt it.
Pawn shops won't buy ingots that are unmarked.

Best Regards
Tom.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

BTW if your going to cast your own ingots
you better have a independent lab report regarding
what the actual gold content is. There are
a few people out there that claim to be refiners
but they are not. Those are the ones that will
steal from you by claiming your gold 18k
instead of 24k.

Best Regards
Tom.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-08-01, azotic wrote:
BTW if your going to cast your own ingots
you better have a independent lab report regarding
what the actual gold content is. There are
a few people out there that claim to be refiners
but they are not. Those are the ones that will
steal from you by claiming your gold 18k
instead of 24k.

Someone tried to do this with my mom once.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

om...

"DanGLT" wrote in message
[...]

I was kinda joking in a way and not. Cop tells shop that something is
stolen and somehow gets lost but is at home. Like the one cop that was
gonna kill henry sisneros (sp) the mayor of San Antonio and later HUD
his partner killed him while driving down town, they found something
like 1,300 guns at his house. Now Ig, how do you thing this cop
acquired all those guns?

SW

I am also wondering, for jewelry thieves, why can't they melt stolen
jewelry and then sell gold ingots to pawnshops?

SW

I'm a bit lost, why would you sell coins for weight? I once had a
1563 piece of eight and would have never sold it for weight, stolen
also.

SW
It's the guys that buy jewery for cash no questions asked that handle
stolen stuff. Back in chicago there were some scrap yards that were
doing exactley that. They did eventually get caught buy the fbi when
a perp made a deal with the fbi and rated them out. The owner of the
scrap yard did time. I new the owner. He made a lot of money for a
number of years but the feds took everything in the end.

Best Regards
Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-08-01, Sunworshipper SW@GWNTUNDRA wrote:
wrote:
Probably shopping for something cool to steal like my wedding ring
they stole.

What do you mean?

Bad cops stealing from pawn shops.

That's kind of shocking, how do they steal exactly? What is the scam?

I was kinda joking in a way and not. Cop tells shop that something is
stolen and somehow gets lost but is at home. Like the one cop that was
gonna kill henry sisneros (sp) the mayor of San Antonio and later HUD
his partner killed him while driving down town, they found something
like 1,300 guns at his house. Now Ig, how do you thing this cop
acquired all those guns?

So, the cop tells the shop that the ring is stolen and "confiscates"
it, but the ring is "lost" and never gets to the police?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 01 Aug 2011 13:26:17 -0500, Ignoramus13162

On 2011-08-01, Sunworshipper SW@GWNTUNDRA wrote:
wrote:
Probably shopping for something cool to steal like my wedding ring
they stole.

What do you mean?

Bad cops stealing from pawn shops.

That's kind of shocking, how do they steal exactly? What is the scam?

I was kinda joking in a way and not. Cop tells shop that something is
stolen and somehow gets lost but is at home. Like the one cop that was
gonna kill henry sisneros (sp) the mayor of San Antonio and later HUD
his partner killed him while driving down town, they found something
like 1,300 guns at his house. Now Ig, how do you thing this cop
acquired all those guns?

So, the cop tells the shop that the ring is stolen and "confiscates"
it, but the ring is "lost" and never gets to the police?

Right. Kind of like mexico where the cop is eyeing up your car when
you get pulled over and says ' Muy bueno coche...' (Very beautiful
automobile...).

Or probably the way the KGB really is and not as the patriot narc.
(rat) (boy scout).

SW
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 31, 12:15*am, "azotic" wrote:
[...]

Silver is rising faster than gold.

Soon, there will be fires in the streets and blood will flow through
the gutters like rain.

Swap half the gold for silver at the best rate you can get from a
place that employes more than 12 people.

BWAHAHA!

Doug "Omega Man" Goncz

He's baaack ... and better than before!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Sun, 31 Jul 2011 15:00:31 -0700
On Sun, 31 Jul 2011 16:21:53 -0500, "DanGLT" wrote:

I really wonder about the theft factor. Don't these places just scream
"fence" ? Very little jewelry is ever recovered, but this just about cuts
it to zero.

Most..not all..but most states and municipalities have rather stringent
requirements for ID, description of goods etc etc. And they have to be
turned over to local law enforcement each week.

Here in Seattle, second hand stores have to do that for every
thing you buy off the street. And then hold it for a month before you
can put it up for sale.

--
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!