Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Sunworshipper[_2_] Sunworshipper[_2_] is offline

Default Gold and Silver Fun today

On Sun, 31 Jul 2011 20:21:46 -0700, "azotic"
wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 31 Jul 2011 18:49:58 -0700, "azotic" wrote:

"DanGLT" wrote in message
I really wonder about the theft factor. Don't these places just scream
"fence" ? Very little jewelry is ever recovered, but this just about
cuts
it to zero.

They melt everything down and cast ingots. Then they send the ingots
to a refiner to recoup thier cash. No way the metal can be traced.

Best Regards
Tom.

Jewelry must be held for a minumum of 90 days IRRC and a full
description of each item bought or pawned goes to the local law
enforcement agency for review.

Thats the way it works with pawn shops here in vegas. I was in a
pawn shop when a LEO came in and did an inspection, seen it
first hand.

Probably shopping for something cool to steal like my wedding ring
they stole.

I'm a bit lost, why would you sell coins for weight? I once had a
1563 piece of eight and would have never sold it for weight, stolen
also.

SW
It's the guys that buy jewery for cash no questions asked that handle
stolen stuff. Back in chicago there were some scrap yards that were
doing exactley that. They did eventually get caught buy the fbi when
a perp made a deal with the fbi and rated them out. The owner of the
scrap yard did time. I new the owner. He made a lot of money for a
number of years but the feds took everything in the end.

Best Regards
Tom.