Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus11951 Ignoramus11951 is offline

Default Gold and Silver Fun today

news
On 2011-07-31, azotic wrote:
Had an intresting experience today. I Stoped in two pawn shops to
inquire as to what they were paying for silver bullion and gold coins.
You would think these people would know what they are doing.
Seems like they don't much at all when it comes to PM. I asked
the person how much they are paying for kruggerrands, the person
asked me how many karets they are, WTF ok i explain to them that
the coins i have contain 1oz of gold each. The person then asks again
how many karets ? so i say 24. Person then asks how many gramms
i have, i say each coin has 1 troy ounce. Person then tells me thats
32 grams. Ok so how much ? person says $900.00 i chuckle and
ask how about silver bullion. Person says they only pay $2.00 a gram
because they have to send it in to be refined. Now i ask myself were
they trying to play me or are they really that dumb. Second place
asks me what bullion is, calls over the head honcho and asks him.
Boss man says they don't buy silver but was intrested in they coins
at the gold content value. Well next week i am gonna stop in
at the pawn stars place and see what rick will offer.
Found a place called midstates refining and seem they work
on a 5% commision, anyone here ever do bussines with them ?
Can anyone recomend a honest PM dealer?

My Mom once found a silver picture frame (600 grams) in garbage. I
suggested to her that she should visit at least 5 places. The first
were as you described, but then she found someone decent.

I recently won 2 lbs of 56% silver brazing rods on ebay for $113, and
no pawn shop would take them. I sold them on ebay again for $450.

I would think that most pawn shops are both stupid and dishonest, or
"crafty".

Yeah from what i seen today i think they are just stupid. Will see
next week if pawn stars lives up to the hype and if rick knows
his ****.

A lot of them started buying precious metals only recently. Perhaps,
before this they were picking up metal scrap from people's garbage or
were real estate agents. Now they are in precious metals.

When i was in chicago i dealt with some realy good people.
I sold a bunch of silver back in the late seventies to place
that payed me spot for that day i delivered the silver it
shure was sweet at $48.00 an ounce. Another guy bought
all the gold i could deliver, he paid me spot less 10%
in cash money.

Best Regards
Tom.