Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Question on transit tripods

Anyone know if there is a standard for transit tripod sockets where the
transit attaches? (forgive if my terminology is not correct)

I've been toying with an idea for a massive and rigid ball head for my
new camera when I stumbled across the Burzynski ballhead. Very much what
I was toying with, so I know my concept is valid. Further looking at
that head reveals it's one of the most rigid ball heads made, which of
course exposes the next weakest link, the tripod. While carbon fiber
tripods are certainly rigid and light, they are very expensive. Some
folks seem to favor wooden tripods based on those used for surveyors
transits, saying wood absorbs vibration as well as just about anything.
Well, I can't afford any of those tripods either. So thinking about
looking for a used surveyors transit tripod.

I can make to fit whatever I buy of course. I'm pretty sure there are
proprietary mounts out there, but hoping there's one that has become an
industry standard. This would make it easier to upgrade to a nicer
tripod should I decide to do so.

This btw, is not going to be a tripod for hiking all over creation, it's
going to be pretty heavy. But it'll also be nice and rigid...

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 12, 4:18*am, Jon Anderson wrote:
Anyone know if there is a standard for transit tripod sockets where the
transit attaches? (forgive if my terminology is not correct)
I can make to fit whatever I buy of course. I'm pretty sure there are
proprietary mounts out there, but hoping there's one that has become an
industry standard. This would make it easier to upgrade to a nicer
tripod should I decide to do so....

Jon

I have an old brass Craftsman transit with apparently an 11/16" - 27
mounting thread, slightly larger than the 5/8"-27 thread of a
microphone stand. The owner had driven over the tripod and threw it
away.

Google gives several standards. 5/8"-11 seems common.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 00:18:48 -0800, Jon Anderson
wrote:

[...]

The surveyor who lived in my house before me left an old tripod and
you can have it for the postage cost if you like. It has a 1" long,
1/2-5/8" tapered mount, telescoping legs, and half a black
crinkle-paint finish left on the top section. There is no bracing, but
that's easy enough to fab up. It's 2 lb 10 oz without packing.

New tripods appear to have a 5/8"-11 stud mount. There's a screw in
the top of this one, so it may be replaceable.

--
Win first, Fight later.

--martial principle of the Samurai
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

You'll find lots of info on using transit tripods if you search for
DIY telescope tripods. People have used surveying tripods from
Goodwill or whatever, crafted their own from beautiful wood, or
hammered together some 2x4s etc.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 12, 2:18*am, Jon Anderson wrote:
[...]

I've got a Majestic tripod for the heavies, has a geared head. $40 at
the local camera swap. Weighs in at 15 lbs. Had been hacked about
over the years, nasty leg tips, crummy cheap fastener replacements.
Still being made(but not for $40). See www.bencher.com. They're out
there, sometimes for pretty cheap, all metal, U.S.-made. Had at least
a dozen at the swap. The local college AV guys are getting rid of
them. Have seen them on camera swap sites, too. Would be a better
deal than trying to modify something not meant for photo use. Had to
straighten the worm wheel shaft on the gear head and regrease,
replaced most of the cheap fasteners with some decent stuff and waxed
up the telescoping legs. Works great now. Originally had a three-way
level on it, that's missing. Extends up to about 8-9'. As a plus,
when I replaced the leg tips with some decent rubber ones, I found
several sets that would fit into my Husky tripod dolly, So it can be
wheeled around now. And it makes a great mount for the giant
binoculars. Bencher has several different platform types for the gear
head, too.

Stan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/12/2011 2:59 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:

The problem with most surveyors tripods..is the head of the tripod is a
fixed platform. No tilt or swivel. The transit themselves normally has
the angle/ elevation adjustments.

That's no problem at all, as I'm starting down this path from the ball
head. What I'd started designing looks very much like this:
http://www.pepperanddust.com/images/Burzsynski001.jpg
and in fact, that's the basic setup I want. Stout tripod, massive and
rigid ball head, and an RRS pan head. This design will only tilt over 45
degrees, so I'm designing a 45 degree adapter to go 45-90 degrees.

And this is the sort of tripod I'm looking for:

http://www.adorama.com/BA3032.html
And someday a baby version like this:
http://www.photomacrography.net/foru...lebach5b_1.jpg
(interested in duplicating the automated macro slide for stacking too!)

I might well end up buying a Velbon or Gitzo, but right now those are
out of reach. If I can find a used surveyor's tripod cheap, with wood
legs as pictured in the links above, I'll be happy for a while.
I have a Leitz Tiltall right now, and it's certainly the best tripod
I've owned to date, but has it's limitations.

Plus, I have to say, I just love the look of the wood tripods,
especially that cute little one in the photomacrography fourm.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/12/2011 4:16 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

The surveyor who lived in my house before me left an old tripod and
you can have it for the postage cost if you like. It has a 1" long,
1/2-5/8" tapered mount, telescoping legs, and half a black
crinkle-paint finish left on the top section. There is no bracing, but
that's easy enough to fab up. It's 2 lb 10 oz without packing.

That's going to be far too light for what I want to do with the camera,
but I sure appreciate the offer!

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/12/2011 4:59 AM, Spehro Pefhany wrote:

For those who choose to spend a fair chunk of money, ONCE, I'd suggest
RRS (Really Right Stuff). Not sold in stores. Really, really nicely
made in the good old USofA. I have a Manfrotto, with their BH55 ball
head, but I'm sure their carbon fiber tripods are nice.

http://reallyrightstuff.com/Items.as...head55&key=cat

Like any good tool, they just 'feel' right.

Oh, do they ever feel and look 'right'! I've started with an RRS
L-plate, and will certainly be buying more of their stuff, especially
for macro and pano work. My brother was up for the 4th weekend and we
went on a photo safari. I fell in love with his RRS ground tripod and
BH55 ballhead.
http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=TP-243&type=0&eq=&desc=TP-243-Ground-Level-Tripod
It is sinfully gorgeous and sexy, and unaffordable right now...

My brother turned me on to a great forum for Minolta and Sony A mount
cameras. The general consensus is to buy once and buy the best. Well,
that works great if one has the money.... I don't want to wait years to
get going, so looking to combine my ability to make stuff, with
scrounging for used stuff, to get going faster. Down the road, will be
upgrading, that's for sure.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 10:45:44 -0800, Jon Anderson
wrote:

On 7/12/2011 4:16 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

The surveyor who lived in my house before me left an old tripod and
you can have it for the postage cost if you like. It has a 1" long,
1/2-5/8" tapered mount, telescoping legs, and half a black
crinkle-paint finish left on the top section. There is no bracing, but
that's easy enough to fab up. It's 2 lb 10 oz without packing.

That's going to be far too light for what I want to do with the camera,
but I sure appreciate the offer!

Jewelcome. BTW, what -are- you going to be doing? What's the package
weight on the head, ball'n'all?

--
Fear not those who argue but those who dodge.
-- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

I have two Majestics- they're hands down the most solid tripods you can
actually pick up and carry around.

They're a bit less exciting if you actually carry one over your shoulder
with a view camera.

bencher is worthless to try to deal with directly, but calumet
photographic can get you any parts they have drop shipped at fair prices.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/12/2011 11:47 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Jewelcome. BTW, what -are- you going to be doing? What's the package
weight on the head, ball'n'all?

I'm overbuilding with an eye toward some long lenses down the road.
Have read some real interesting articles on rigidity and vibration, it
really can be an issue. And, one day I just might go old school and try
a large format camera.

There is the chance things might sour here with the economy and I will
end up unable to afford to ship my shop down under. So trying to to
build a few really nice things now just in case.
I could just save up and buy, but I derive a lot of pleasure from making
something that I can use. The other even bigger project is a geared
cubic head along the lines of this:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/629979-REG/Arca_Swiss_8501000_1_C1_Cube_Geared_Head.html

These are the bomb for precision framing in macro photography, but WELL
out of my price range. But I can certainly design and make something
similar that should work nearly as well. When my brother was up, we
dabbled with some extreme close up macro work using a bellows. My camera
was mounted on his RRS ground tripod with RRS's large ball head. Even
with that primo setup, it was a bit of a pain trying to make fine
adjustments to the camera.

I'm on the slippery slope now, and gaining speed... G

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 14:27:23 -0800, Jon Anderson
wrote:

On 7/12/2011 11:47 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Jewelcome. BTW, what -are- you going to be doing? What's the package
weight on the head, ball'n'all?

I'm overbuilding with an eye toward some long lenses down the road.
Have read some real interesting articles on rigidity and vibration, it
really can be an issue. And, one day I just might go old school and try
a large format camera.

Cool. Don't the long (400mm+) zooms require a -lens- mounting?
http://goo.gl/Nene Whoa!
Page 3 - I'd never seen a perspective control lens before. Weird.

There is the chance things might sour here with the economy and I will
end up unable to afford to ship my shop down under. So trying to to
build a few really nice things now just in case.

Go for it!

I could just save up and buy, but I derive a lot of pleasure from making
something that I can use. The other even bigger project is a geared
cubic head along the lines of this:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/629979-REG/Arca_Swiss_8501000_1_C1_Cube_Geared_Head.html

These are the bomb for precision framing in macro photography, but WELL
out of my price range. But I can certainly design and make something
similar that should work nearly as well. When my brother was up, we

Oh, yeah, at that price, making one is a given.

dabbled with some extreme close up macro work using a bellows. My camera
was mounted on his RRS ground tripod with RRS's large ball head. Even
with that primo setup, it was a bit of a pain trying to make fine
adjustments to the camera.

I hear ya. Macro is tough.

I'm on the slippery slope now, and gaining speed... G

Atta Boy!

--
Fear not those who argue but those who dodge.
-- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 12, 3:18*am, Jon Anderson wrote:
[...]

Jon,

There is no socket standard.

As for a really good tripod, take a look at the Quickset line.

http://www.quickset.com/products-tec...rable-tripods/

They are very well built...cough..cough..I have seen them used for car
jacks in the military. ;)

Used, their pricing are within the realm of us mortals.

Check Ebay, large format photo and astronomy sale sites for used ones.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/12/2011 6:11 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Cool. Don't the long (400mm+) zooms require a -lens- mounting?
http://goo.gl/Nene Whoa!

Yeah. But still, mass and vibration damping are important.

Page 3 - I'd never seen a perspective control lens before. Weird.

Cool! Arax and Lensbaby are similar to this lens, though not sure how
they really compare as that's an area of photography I don't anticipate
getting into. It sure do look nice though!

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 20:09:05 -0800, Jon Anderson
wrote:

On 7/12/2011 6:11 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Cool. Don't the long (400mm+) zooms require a -lens- mounting?
http://goo.gl/Nene Whoa!

Yeah. But still, mass and vibration damping are important.

But of course! Electronically controlled shutter release is a must.
Wind shielding is a necessity.

Page 3 - I'd never seen a perspective control lens before. Weird.

Cool! Arax and Lensbaby are similar to this lens, though not sure how
they really compare as that's an area of photography I don't anticipate
getting into. It sure do look nice though!

Yeah, who wants to photograph man-made stuff?

--
Fear not those who argue but those who dodge.
-- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

My Dad's 'old' Craftsman (circa 1950's) measures 11/16" - 24.
Actually .6868" major dia. of the male thread on the transit.
HTH
rgentry at oz dot net
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Jon Anderson wrote:

[...]

Transits typically use a large (3.5"-4" or so) threaded mount so there
can be a hole in the top of the tripod (the threads are on an open ring)
to allow the plumb-bob to be connected directly to the transit. I'm not
really sure what that size typically is, or how many variants there may
be - in both the instances I have experience with, the transit and
tripod have lived as a set, and not been interchanged with anything.

In the age of total stations (the fancy laser range-finder devices
virtually all real surveyors use these days, since they are much faster
and probably more accurate) this may be more of a historical tid-bit
than directly relevant (my understanding is the total station does not
need to be set in any particular spot, so a plumb bob is not needed.)

Some tripods provide a way to mount something on a small thread as well
as the large ring thread. If you find one new enough to not be marked up
for antique value (ie, not brass) you might well be able to get the
matching threads and a really nice turntable by butchering the obsolete
instrument you can get with the tripod, but may folks pretend they still
have values based on what they used to cost (heck, some places still
sell the things new, god only knows why at this point.)

I've had my current powder-coated Japanese-built German-branded unit on
loan for the better part of 20 years from someone who switched to a
total station and does not want the thing back, though I occasionally
remind him I still have it. I myself find a laser level (and the
leveling rod from the transit set) faster and more useful for much of
what I used to use the transit to do (ie, not real transit work, things
a dumpy level could have done.)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks everyone for all the replies. I found the solution to my problem
in a German manufacturer of very nice wood tripods, Berlebach. Can't
afford to buy a new one, but with patience I will score one of the
models I'm interested in on eBay sooner or later, at a price I can afford.

Jon