Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Anderson Jon Anderson is offline

Default Question on transit tripods

On 7/12/2011 4:59 AM, Spehro Pefhany wrote:

For those who choose to spend a fair chunk of money, ONCE, I'd suggest
RRS (Really Right Stuff). Not sold in stores. Really, really nicely
made in the good old USofA. I have a Manfrotto, with their BH55 ball
head, but I'm sure their carbon fiber tripods are nice.

http://reallyrightstuff.com/Items.as...head55&key=cat

Like any good tool, they just 'feel' right.

Oh, do they ever feel and look 'right'! I've started with an RRS
L-plate, and will certainly be buying more of their stuff, especially
for macro and pano work. My brother was up for the 4th weekend and we
went on a photo safari. I fell in love with his RRS ground tripod and
BH55 ballhead.
http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=TP-243&type=0&eq=&desc=TP-243-Ground-Level-Tripod
It is sinfully gorgeous and sexy, and unaffordable right now...

My brother turned me on to a great forum for Minolta and Sony A mount
cameras. The general consensus is to buy once and buy the best. Well,
that works great if one has the money.... I don't want to wait years to
get going, so looking to combine my ability to make stuff, with
scrounging for used stuff, to get going faster. Down the road, will be
upgrading, that's for sure.

Jon