Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Removing transit wax from ceramic tiles

Anyone got any tips on how to remove the wax that has been dabbed on all 4
corners of every tile?

The last time I had tiles put up the transit wax was 4 sort of spiral shapes
in each corner that more or less just fell off when you touched it but these
tiles which are textured seem to have the wax smeared in.

I've tried hot soapy water which has been a bit of hit and miss. Some bit
will wipe off with a second going over of hot soapy water but the vast
majority it didn't touch.

I've tried Autosmarts Tardis which is a glue and tar dissolver and works
great on the car but was useless on the tiles.

I've tried Lithofin easy care which has been as effective as soapy water.

I've just bought LTP's grimex but not had a chance to use it yet.

Any tips or suggestions?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
bigbad@hole says...

Anyone got any tips on how to remove the wax that has been dabbed on all 4
corners of every tile?

The last time I had tiles put up the transit wax was 4 sort of spiral shapes
in each corner that more or less just fell off when you touched it but these
tiles which are textured seem to have the wax smeared in.

I've tried hot soapy water which has been a bit of hit and miss. Some bit
will wipe off with a second going over of hot soapy water but the vast
majority it didn't touch.

I've tried Autosmarts Tardis which is a glue and tar dissolver and works
great on the car but was useless on the tiles.

I've tried Lithofin easy care which has been as effective as soapy water.

I've just bought LTP's grimex but not had a chance to use it yet.

Any tips or suggestions?

Have you tried asking the supplier/manufacturer? They put it on - surely
they must know how to get it off!

--

Terry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Terry Casey" wrote in message
om...
In article ,
bigbad@hole says...

[...]

Yeah I phoned their cleaning / maintenance helpline and they have advised on
a product they sell.
Maybe I'm just sceptical but the LTP Grimex I bought this morning from
another company hasn't really touched it so I doubt a similar product will.
I'll maybe take a spare tile over and see what they can prove actually
works.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

RoundSquare wrote:
[...]

run em through the dishwasher in a hot program?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

RoundSquare wrote:
[...]

If it's wax, it should be soluble in white spirit

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"stuart noble" wrote in message
RoundSquare wrote:
[...]

I thought you had cracked it there Stuart but the white spirit made no
difference to the wax (
I've been at it most of the day and only managed to clean a handful of tiles
and even then when they are dry, there is still remnants of the stuff!!!!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 12, 3:20*pm, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

run em through the dishwasher in a hot program?

Does anyone know how to clean a dishwasher that some ****wit has
dumped wax in? In the colder parts of it, i.e. the outlet, this wax
will set, even on a hot cycle.

As Stuart says, white spirit should shift wax. If it doesn't, switch
to acteone.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

On 12/11/2010 11:09, RoundSquare wrote:
Anyone got any tips on how to remove the wax that has been dabbed on all
4 corners of every tile?

Does it scrape off? In increasing orders of aggressiveness:

The rough side of a nylon pan scourer - possibly used dry.

One of those stainless steel swarf type of scourers, or failing that

a nice sharp wood chisel at a low angle to the tile!

You *almost* said "angle grinder", didn't you?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/11/2010 16:43, RoundSquare wrote:
"stuart wrote in message
RoundSquare wrote:
"Terry wrote in message
om...
In articleRv2dnYOlyfzsvUDRnZ2dnUVZ8rmdnZ2d@brightvie w.co.uk,
bigbad@hole says...
[...]

Although soluble in white spirit, waxes are not always completely
soluble at room temperature. Have you tried a hot air gun? Most will
even soften with a hair dryer at max temp. Failing that I'd go straight
to a methylene chloride paint stripper (Nitromors etc). That will
dissolve anything IME. Coarse wire wool to collect the gunk.

I had a similar thing on the back of a few tiles where I think they had
been fixed to a display panel in the shop. A dab on each corner that I
couldn't get off for fear of breaking the tile.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 12, 4:43*pm, John Rumm wrote:

Does it scrape off? In increasing orders of aggressiveness:

A powerful, yet benign, cleaner is one of the "Mr Clean" white
melamine foam blocks (always used wet). These are surprisingly good
for paint, burned on crud etc. on ceramics that you really don't want
to scratch.

You can also carve them and cast pewter in there!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"RoundSquare" bigbad@hole wrote in message
o.uk...
Anyone got any tips on how to remove the wax that has been dabbed on all 4
corners of every tile?

The last time I had tiles put up the transit wax was 4 sort of spiral
shapes in each corner that more or less just fell off when you touched it
but these tiles which are textured seem to have the wax smeared in.

I've tried hot soapy water which has been a bit of hit and miss. Some bit
will wipe off with a second going over of hot soapy water but the vast
majority it didn't touch.

I've tried Autosmarts Tardis which is a glue and tar dissolver and works
great on the car but was useless on the tiles.

I've tried Lithofin easy care which has been as effective as soapy water.

I've just bought LTP's grimex but not had a chance to use it yet.

Any tips or suggestions?

Sorted guys. Thanks for all the help and suggestions.
I bought a few different scratch free scouring pads and these never made
much head way. One dab of wax was taking around 30 minutes to completely
disappear.
I also tried the pads with some special tile cleaner and it looked to have
done the trick but it only looked that way because it was wet!! As soon as I
dried it, most of the wax was still there.
The hairdryer was next but nothing.
White spirit and isopropyl alcohol done nothing.
I have a few spare tiles so thought bugger it, they are getting the steel
wheel treatment but as I went to get some I noticed the Mrs had a metal
scouring brush a bit like steel wool but one that doesn't disintegrate and
leave strands of the steel everywhere. Gave that a go and it removed the wax
in seconds with no scratching.
I just need to pick a new one up that hasn't got food remnants left on it
;o)
Also when I ran the shower (first time it had been tried out) the steam in
the actual shower enclosure loosened the wax to the extent a lot of it just
wiped off with a cloth.

Thanks again guys.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to RoundSquare, Richard William Dunville wrote:
Razor blade on smooth surface, if your surface is uneven, try a magic eraser,
last if it's really tough, there is a product called nanoscrub, tile suppliers
will know who makes it.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...es-667916-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Richard William Dunville
m writes
replying to RoundSquare, Richard William Dunville wrote:
Razor blade on smooth surface, if your surface is uneven, try a magic eraser,
last if it's really tough, there is a product called nanoscrub, tile suppliers
will know who makes it.

But the answer to this was posted 8 years ago by the OP. A scouring pad.

I think Home Owners Hubbub is the winner here as they have tempted me to
answer. I have thus added to the number of visitors to their site full
of stolen newsgroup postings. So they can quote higher site visits and
sell more advertising.

I'm a Home Owners Mug, I suppose.
--
Bill