Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default Question on transit tripods

On Jul 12, 4:18*am, Jon Anderson wrote:
Anyone know if there is a standard for transit tripod sockets where the
transit attaches? (forgive if my terminology is not correct)
I can make to fit whatever I buy of course. I'm pretty sure there are
proprietary mounts out there, but hoping there's one that has become an
industry standard. This would make it easier to upgrade to a nicer
tripod should I decide to do so....

Jon

I have an old brass Craftsman transit with apparently an 11/16" - 27
mounting thread, slightly larger than the 5/8"-27 thread of a
microphone stand. The owner had driven over the tripod and threw it
away.

Google gives several standards. 5/8"-11 seems common.

jsw