Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Anderson Jon Anderson is offline

Default Question on transit tripods

On 7/12/2011 2:59 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:

The problem with most surveyors tripods..is the head of the tripod is a
fixed platform. No tilt or swivel. The transit themselves normally has
the angle/ elevation adjustments.

That's no problem at all, as I'm starting down this path from the ball
head. What I'd started designing looks very much like this:
http://www.pepperanddust.com/images/Burzsynski001.jpg
and in fact, that's the basic setup I want. Stout tripod, massive and
rigid ball head, and an RRS pan head. This design will only tilt over 45
degrees, so I'm designing a 45 degree adapter to go 45-90 degrees.

And this is the sort of tripod I'm looking for:

http://www.adorama.com/BA3032.html
And someday a baby version like this:
http://www.photomacrography.net/foru...lebach5b_1.jpg
(interested in duplicating the automated macro slide for stacking too!)

I might well end up buying a Velbon or Gitzo, but right now those are
out of reach. If I can find a used surveyor's tripod cheap, with wood
legs as pictured in the links above, I'll be happy for a while.
I have a Leitz Tiltall right now, and it's certainly the best tripod
I've owned to date, but has it's limitations.

Plus, I have to say, I just love the look of the wood tripods,
especially that cute little one in the photomacrography fourm.

Jon