Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] stans4@prolynx.com is offline

Default Question on transit tripods

On Jul 12, 2:18*am, Jon Anderson wrote:
Anyone know if there is a standard for transit tripod sockets where the
transit attaches? (forgive if my terminology is not correct)

I've been toying with an idea for a massive and rigid ball head for my
new camera when I stumbled across the Burzynski ballhead. Very much what
I was toying with, so I know my concept is valid. Further looking at
that head reveals it's one of the most rigid ball heads made, which of
course exposes the next weakest link, the tripod. While carbon fiber
tripods are certainly rigid and light, they are very expensive. Some
folks seem to favor wooden tripods based on those used for surveyors
transits, saying wood absorbs vibration as well as just about anything.
Well, I can't afford any of those tripods either. So thinking about
looking for a used surveyors transit tripod.

I can make to fit whatever I buy of course. I'm pretty sure there are
proprietary mounts out there, but hoping there's one that has become an
industry standard. This would make it easier to upgrade to a nicer
tripod should I decide to do so.

This btw, is not going to be a tripod for hiking all over creation, it's
going to be pretty heavy. But it'll also be nice and rigid...

Jon

I've got a Majestic tripod for the heavies, has a geared head. $40 at
the local camera swap. Weighs in at 15 lbs. Had been hacked about
over the years, nasty leg tips, crummy cheap fastener replacements.
Still being made(but not for $40). See www.bencher.com. They're out
there, sometimes for pretty cheap, all metal, U.S.-made. Had at least
a dozen at the swap. The local college AV guys are getting rid of
them. Have seen them on camera swap sites, too. Would be a better
deal than trying to modify something not meant for photo use. Had to
straighten the worm wheel shaft on the gear head and regrease,
replaced most of the cheap fasteners with some decent stuff and waxed
up the telescoping legs. Works great now. Originally had a three-way
level on it, that's missing. Extends up to about 8-9'. As a plus,
when I replaced the leg tips with some decent rubber ones, I found
several sets that would fit into my Husky tripod dolly, So it can be
wheeled around now. And it makes a great mount for the giant
binoculars. Bencher has several different platform types for the gear
head, too.

Stan