Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Question on transit tripods

Anyone know if there is a standard for transit tripod sockets where the
transit attaches? (forgive if my terminology is not correct)

I've been toying with an idea for a massive and rigid ball head for my
new camera when I stumbled across the Burzynski ballhead. Very much what
I was toying with, so I know my concept is valid. Further looking at
that head reveals it's one of the most rigid ball heads made, which of
course exposes the next weakest link, the tripod. While carbon fiber
tripods are certainly rigid and light, they are very expensive. Some
folks seem to favor wooden tripods based on those used for surveyors
transits, saying wood absorbs vibration as well as just about anything.
Well, I can't afford any of those tripods either. So thinking about
looking for a used surveyors transit tripod.

I can make to fit whatever I buy of course. I'm pretty sure there are
proprietary mounts out there, but hoping there's one that has become an
industry standard. This would make it easier to upgrade to a nicer
tripod should I decide to do so.

This btw, is not going to be a tripod for hiking all over creation, it's
going to be pretty heavy. But it'll also be nice and rigid...

Jon