Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 75th Rangers ( Gunner's unit in Vietnam), was Fast track to inequality....

On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 22:16:02 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 18:39:55 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 17:35:35 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 01:22:56 -0600, Don Foreman
wrote:

Gunner, you really need to quit smokin', right now, totally and
forever, set the example if you're surrounded by smokers, no excuses
or you don't have a hair on your ass worth saving.

Im in the middle of trying ...again.

Lets see what happens...again.

Gunner, you forgot. It's easy to quit. It's a decision which has to
be made, so make it and forget it. Piece of cake.

(Be sure to have plenty of sugarfree gum on hand for the oral
fixation.)

Odd that Ive quite humm 15 times before..with everything from gum to
patches...and was never able to last longer than 6 months

I must be a Victim and should be paid for life for my handicap.

Sorry, sir, but you have to be a registered (and voting) Demonrat to
qualify.

I decided that I never wanted to smell like a dirty ashtray again, and
I haven't. Quitting alcohol and tobacco were each one-time deals.

Like I said, it's a decision. Choose wisely, grasshoppa.

--
To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.
-- J. K. Rowling
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 10:50:15 -0600, Ignoramus25291
wrote:

Then why did Gunner say that he enlisted underage, under a false name?

Am I mistaken?

Perhaps. I graduated high school at age 17, which is underage for
enlistment.

--
To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.
-- J. K. Rowling
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don Foreman wrote:

On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 08:56:44 -0800, "Steve B"
wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote

Facebook is interesting in some regards..you find out if the winners and
losers you thought of people as in school, really were what you thought.

Ive avoided it for years and a lady friend insisted I put Stuff up,
about 6 months ago, so with some reluctance..I did.

Shrug..no regrets but its not something I check very often either.

Gunner

Gunner

My personal opinion is that people who spend much time on facebook or
Googling other people's past really need to get a life, or at least a hobby.

Steve

For some, these *are* hobbies!

BTW, don't bother looking for me on Facebook. I'm not there.

I am. It was the only way to contact a couple old freinds. The same
with My Space. I look at the accounts about every other month.

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Then why did Gunner say that he enlisted underage, under a false name?

Am I mistaken?

Perhaps. I graduated high school at age 17, which is underage for
enlistment.

Me too. Like about 25% of high school graduates who's birthday fell
durning the summer.

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 11:36:04 -0600, Don Foreman
wrote:

On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 10:50:15 -0600, Ignoramus25291
wrote:

Easy peasy, here ya go:
http://www.classfinders.com/directory/mi/grayling/2/
You do know that Gunner is Mark Weiber, right?

Yes.

Entirely possible to graduate in May, enlist, do basic training and
AIT (advanced infantry training), even Ranger and Airborne schools,
and still be in-country in '71 just as the scurrilous, lyin',
still-smokin' reprobate claims in a current post.

Right, but that would not be "underage".

Then why did Gunner say that he enlisted underage, under a false name?

Am I mistaken?

Good question. Min age was 17 with parental consent, 18 without. I
was 17 when I graduated from HS, don't know about Gunner.

As Ive mentioned..Mom was virulently anti-war..and her lady friend had
me listed as 4F

Shrug

--
"Confiscating wealth from those who have earned it, inherited it,
or got lucky is never going to help 'the poor.' Poverty isn't

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 10:55:19 -0600, Ignoramus25291

On 2010-11-14, Gunner Asch wrote:
Ayup..thats me. I did a few classes in late 74, after doing my little
walk about in Europe.

Since my entire family are Tech (By Heck!) grads..I thought Id give it a
try. Sister graduated from the Soo (mechanical engineer)..Mom
(aeronatical engineer) and Dad (civil engineer). graduated from Houghton

Shrug...didnt work for me. Which is a pity of course. Shrug

But then..if Id stayed as a deputy sheriff..Id have had 30 yrs in as
well.

Maybe Ill do better on the next spin around the cosmic wheel.

Why, that education was helpful, after all you are a CNC technician.

Did they give you any kind of degree?

From the School of Hard Knocks?
Or from the few classes I took at Tech? No.

Im not a college grad.

Gunner

--
"Confiscating wealth from those who have earned it, inherited it,
or got lucky is never going to help 'the poor.' Poverty isn't
caused by some people having more money than others, just as obesity
isn't caused by McDonald's serving super-sized orders of French fries
Poverty, like obesity, is caused by the life choices that dictate
results." - John Tucci,
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote

Facebook is interesting in some regards..you find out if the winners and
losers you thought of people as in school, really were what you thought.

Ive avoided it for years and a lady friend insisted I put Stuff up,
about 6 months ago, so with some reluctance..I did.

Shrug..no regrets but its not something I check very often either.

Gunner

Gunner

My personal opinion is that people who spend much time on facebook or
Googling other people's past really need to get a life, or at least a hobby.

Steve

And the damned games those facebook people seem to be addicted
to...geeze..everytime I log in..Ive got a hundred or more "free field
sprays" or a thousand bales of hay" etc etc...Farmville or some such.

Ive got no interest, nor time to fart around with that crap. Ive got
critters, machinery and a life that uses up much of my time.

Gunner

--
"Confiscating wealth from those who have earned it, inherited it,
or got lucky is never going to help 'the poor.' Poverty isn't
caused by some people having more money than others, just as obesity
isn't caused by McDonald's serving super-sized orders of French fries
Poverty, like obesity, is caused by the life choices that dictate
results." - John Tucci,
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/14/2010 11:40 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:

Ive got no interest, nor time to fart around with that crap. Ive got
critters, machinery and a life that uses up much of my time.

Go to Account | Privacy Settings, near the bottom, center, is the link
for Block Lists. Here you can block users, App invites, or Apps
outright. Farmville was the first thing I blocked...

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

Perhaps. I graduated high school at age 17, which is underage for
enlistment.

In 1975, I delay enlisted while still in high school. I was 17 when I graduated and
headed off to boot camp. The parents signed off on the enlistment.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

From the School of Hard Knocks?
Or from the few classes I took at Tech? No.

Im not a college grad.

Gunner

Most of the college graduates I know are educated beyond their capacity, and
worthless on any real job where real work or
common" thinking is required.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Learn how to care for a friend.
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jon Anderson" wrote in message
On 11/14/2010 11:40 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:

Ive got no interest, nor time to fart around with that crap. Ive got
critters, machinery and a life that uses up much of my time.

Go to Account | Privacy Settings, near the bottom, center, is the link for
Block Lists. Here you can block users, App invites, or Apps outright.
Farmville was the first thing I blocked...

Jon

Yes. Still it is amazing to think that lots of people spend many hours a
day fiddling with these things. Don't they still have basketweaving and
pottery at the Shady Rest?

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Learn how to care for a friend.
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Easy peasy, here ya go:
http://www.classfinders.com/directory/mi/grayling/2/
You do know that Gunner is Mark Weiber, right?

Yes.

Entirely possible to graduate in May, enlist, do basic training and
AIT (advanced infantry training), even Ranger and Airborne schools,
and still be in-country in '71 just as the scurrilous, lyin',
still-smokin' reprobate claims in a current post.

Right, but that would not be "underage".

Then why did Gunner say that he enlisted underage, under a false name?

Am I mistaken?

Good question. Min age was 17 with parental consent, 18 without. I
was 17 when I graduated from HS, don't know about Gunner.

Heard on radio the president of the WWI survivors enlisted at 15.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve Ackman" wrote

Im in the middle of trying ...again.

I love the scene where Yoda and Luke Skywalker are talking. Yoda tells Luke
what he has to do. Luke says, "I'll try." WHAP! Yoda almost levels Luke
with his staff with an upside the head.

"No try! Do or not do!"

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Learn how to care for a friend.
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

To me, I like some people better when they drink. Most ex-drinkers and
ex-smokers rail on like an ex-prostitute.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 17:39:41 -0800, "Steve B"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

Truth indeed.

Gunner

--
"Confiscating wealth from those who have earned it, inherited it,
or got lucky is never going to help 'the poor.' Poverty isn't
caused by some people having more money than others, just as obesity
isn't caused by McDonald's serving super-sized orders of French fries
Poverty, like obesity, is caused by the life choices that dictate
results." - John Tucci,

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

. ..

wrote:

[...]

Human nature. Moral high ground, a bit of insufficiently-bridled power
(think TSA agents), etc. Sin taxes, disguised as "fees". Add
zeolous religious converts intent on evangelism and "spreading the
word" to the list of annoyances.

I don't smoke anymore, but it still ****es me off to see smokers
having to shiver "off campus" of some facilities to grab a smoke when
it's skatey-eight below freakin' zero.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 21:22:12 -0800, Hawke
wrote:

Easy peasy, here ya go:
http://www.classfinders.com/directory/mi/grayling/2/
You do know that Gunner is Mark Weiber, right?

Entirely possible to graduate in May, enlist, do basic training and
AIT (advanced infantry training), even Ranger and Airborne schools,
and still be in-country in '71 just as the scurrilous, lyin',
still-smokin' reprobate claims in a current post.

Looks like we have to score this one for Gunner!

Not so fast. He supposedly went into the military at 17 years old and
under conditions that were suspicious, like he used a fake name. He was
only there from '71 to '73 and was supposedly working in a super
clandestine outfit.

Recollection of references to super-secret clandestine outfits eludes
me at the moment, could you please refresh?

Now do you think they would be taking a guy who just
came out of training and is what, 18 years old, and put him in some
super secret assassination outfit?

Not likely, but a Ranger Bn isn't a super-secret assassination outfit.
They're (very well) trained to be advisors.

This was the very end of the war too.
All kinds of programs were winding down
The idea they would take some
inexperienced soldier only 18 and put him in that kind of unit sounds
fishy.

I wouldn't regard a soldier of any age who wears a Ranger patch as
"inexperienced". Ranger school is 61 days of very intensive training,
some classroom but more in the field.

Like everything else he says. Is it possible? Just barely. He
could have had enough time had he graduated from high school in '71 and
gone directly into the army. But then he would have had to go directly
from training and straight into a special group doing black operations
stuff. Do they take 18 year old, green troopers for that kind of thing?

Not all 18-year-old soldiers were green troopers. If by "black ops"
you mean classified missions, young men certainly were part of such
activities.

I don't think so. So as usual you're left with having to believe things
that somehow just don't quite add up. And didn't he say he killed a
couple hundred gooks when he was in Vietnam too?

Depends on how one takes credit for kills. A few Green Berets killed
hundreds of gooks in one night at Pinkville, aka My Lai.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve B wrote:
..

I decided that I never wanted to smell like a dirty ashtray again, and
I haven't. Quitting alcohol and tobacco were each one-time deals.

Like I said, it's a decision. Choose wisely, grasshoppa.

To me, I like some people better when they drink. Most ex-drinkers and
ex-smokers rail on like an ex-prostitute.

Steve

Yup, My dad quit a few years ago when the doc said that he saw a small
spot on his lung. He was a 2-3 pack a day smoker for about 40 years.
He decided to stop and did. BUT he is also the most anti-smoking person
now. Plus he started eating anything that wasn't nailed down! Went from
around 290 up to almost 450!

I tried it a few times but nothing real major. Did drink REAL heavy for
a few years though. Decided that I had enough when I came out one day
and discovered my car all smashed to hell. I didn't remember a thing but
retraced my trip and discovered that I had left the bar, drove about 2
miles and went off road, through a stone wall fence, through a couple
barbed wire fences, across a small creek, back onto the road. Then made
it almost home before driving into the guard rails and tearing off a
fender and door skin. What really shocked me was that the car still
ran!!! It was a 74 Nova with a 6 in it. Poor thing was in good shape
till that night.

--
Steve W.
(\___/)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

To me, I like some people better when they drink. Most ex-drinkers and
ex-smokers rail on like an ex-prostitute.

I see. So, do you still beat your wife, Steve?

--
To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.
-- J. K. Rowling
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Don Foreman" wrote

I don't smoke anymore, but it still ****es me off to see smokers
having to shiver "off campus" of some facilities to grab a smoke when
it's skatey-eight below freakin' zero.

I don't smoke any more, either. And I don't mind one whit seeing them out
there, because I don't have to smell that crap, and immediately have trouble
breathing and get angina. I wish they would ban public smoking, as even at
the golf course, you can get a good whiff of someone on the next fairway
smoking a fat dog turd filled cigar.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Learn how to care for a friend.
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

To me, I like some people better when they drink. Most ex-drinkers and
ex-smokers rail on like an ex-prostitute.

I see. So, do you still beat your wife, Steve?

What's that remark supposed to mean? I've never hit a woman in my life.
Get ****ed, asshole. If you have some problem with me, get ahold of me at
and we can discuss it. Or we can meet somewhere and
talk about it like men. You know, I never have liked you. You simply
appear on my screen now due to getting a new puter, and I have not killfiled
you yet, because you've been relatively civil lately.

Oh, well, that's easy to fix.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Sat, 13 Nov 2010 22:16:02 -0800

wrote:

Gunner, you really need to quit smokin', right now, totally and
forever, set the example if you're surrounded by smokers, no excuses
or you don't have a hair on your ass worth saving.

Im in the middle of trying ...again.

Lets see what happens...again.

Gunner, you forgot. It's easy to quit. It's a decision which has to
be made, so make it and forget it. Piece of cake.

(Be sure to have plenty of sugarfree gum on hand for the oral
fixation.)

Odd that Ive quite humm 15 times before..with everything from gum to
patches...and was never able to last longer than 6 months

It is easy to quit, done it a thousand times. The problem is that
it easy to not start up again.
On a more serious note, it is the "habits of the hand" that are
the real problem. I stormed out of computer lab to have a smoke while
I waited for a compiler to take its bloody time compiling. It wasn't
till I was out the door and patting my shirt pockets that I remembered
I'd quit 15 years before!
So, I don't "smoke" but if I constantly chew on pens - have I
really "quit"?

Oh, and for what it is worth, people on the Patch tend to have
lower cholesterol.

I must be a Victim and should be paid for life for my handicap.

You do live in California, where everybody is a victim, and nobody
is at fault. Well, nobody left. The Responsible people have all
left.
--
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve B" on Mon, 15 Nov 2010 09:36:58

"Don Foreman" wrote

I don't smoke anymore, but it still ****es me off to see smokers
having to shiver "off campus" of some facilities to grab a smoke when
it's skatey-eight below freakin' zero.

I don't smoke any more, either. And I don't mind one whit seeing them out
there, because I don't have to smell that crap, and immediately have trouble
breathing and get angina. I wish they would ban public smoking, as even at
the golf course, you can get a good whiff of someone on the next fairway
smoking a fat dog turd filled cigar.

I think we should just treat nicotine as the drug it is, and
criminalize the production of it. We could still allow small amounts
for personal consumption, but not for trafficking.

tschus
pyotr
--
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Sun, 14 Nov 2010 02:34:48 -0800
On mylife.com (which seems somehow related to reunion.com), listing of
Michigan Tech class of 1974, does show Mark Wieber (who may be a
different Mark Wieber). They want a payment to show details, so I
decided not to pursue this further. Again, this may be a coicidence
and Michigan Tech's Mark Wieber may be someone else.

Ayup..thats me. I did a few classes in late 74, after doing my little
walk about in Europe.

Since my entire family are Tech (By Heck!) grads..I thought Id give it a
try. Sister graduated from the Soo (mechanical engineer)..Mom
(aeronatical engineer) and Dad (civil engineer). graduated from Houghton

Shrug...didnt work for me. Which is a pity of course. Shrug

But then..if Id stayed as a deputy sheriff..Id have had 30 yrs in as
well.

If, if, if in the words of the old song "If I'd have shot you
went I wanted to, I'd be out by now!"
--
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Sun, 14 Nov 2010 11:40:06 -0800

My personal opinion is that people who spend much time on facebook or
Googling other people's past really need to get a life, or at least a hobby.

Steve

And the damned games those facebook people seem to be addicted
to...geeze..everytime I log in..Ive got a hundred or more "free field
sprays" or a thousand bales of hay" etc etc...Farmville or some such.

You can "hide" the application - just click on the announcement
and 'opt out'.

That's the down side - too many people spend too much time on
Farmville, Mafia Wars, when they could be surfing the intarwebs ...
--
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

"Steve B" on Mon, 15 Nov 2010 09:36:58

"Don Foreman" wrote

I don't smoke anymore, but it still ****es me off to see smokers
having to shiver "off campus" of some facilities to grab a smoke when
it's skatey-eight below freakin' zero.

I don't smoke any more, either. And I don't mind one whit seeing them out
there, because I don't have to smell that crap, and immediately have trouble
breathing and get angina. I wish they would ban public smoking, as even at
the golf course, you can get a good whiff of someone on the next fairway
smoking a fat dog turd filled cigar.

I think we should just treat nicotine as the drug it is, and
criminalize the production of it. We could still allow small amounts
for personal consumption, but not for trafficking.

A lot of smokers would quit if they had to grow it, harvest it, dry
it, strip it, cut it up and roll their own. Let them come face to face
with Tobbaco Worms and they would run, screaming.

enough left over to pay them.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

To me, I like some people better when they drink. Most ex-drinkers and
ex-smokers rail on like an ex-prostitute.

I see. So, do you still beat your wife, Steve?

What's that remark supposed to mean?

Can't take a joke, eh? You were railing about my railing and I sent a
shot over your own bow. shrug

I've never hit a woman in my life.
Get ****ed, asshole. If you have some problem with me, get ahold of me at
and we can discuss it. Or we can meet somewhere and
talk about it like men. You know, I never have liked you. You simply
appear on my screen now due to getting a new puter, and I have not killfiled
you yet, because you've been relatively civil lately.

Oh, well, that's easy to fix.

What_ever_. g

--
To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.
-- J. K. Rowling

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
[...]

As with any drug, I don't care if you smoke it, snort it, stick it in your
arm, or stick it up your ass. As long as it doesn't come in contact with
me, I don't care. When you bring it into contact with me, I become
involved.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Learn how to care for a friend.
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 09:36:58 -0800, "Steve B"
wrote:

"Don Foreman" wrote

I don't smoke anymore, but it still ****es me off to see smokers
having to shiver "off campus" of some facilities to grab a smoke when
it's skatey-eight below freakin' zero.

I don't smoke any more, either. And I don't mind one whit seeing them out
there, because I don't have to smell that crap, and immediately have trouble
breathing and get angina. I wish they would ban public smoking, as even at
the golf course, you can get a good whiff of someone on the next fairway
smoking a fat dog turd filled cigar.

Steve

I certainly respect your right to not be exposed to second-hand smoke,
but I think requiring over 50 yards of distance outdoors in -20
weather is a bit excessive.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 09:36:58 -0800, "Steve B"
wrote:

"Don Foreman" wrote

I don't smoke anymore, but it still ****es me off to see smokers
having to shiver "off campus" of some facilities to grab a smoke when
it's skatey-eight below freakin' zero.

I don't smoke any more, either. And I don't mind one whit seeing them out
there, because I don't have to smell that crap, and immediately have
trouble
breathing and get angina. I wish they would ban public smoking, as even
at
the golf course, you can get a good whiff of someone on the next fairway
smoking a fat dog turd filled cigar.

Steve

I certainly respect your right to not be exposed to second-hand smoke,
but I think requiring over 50 yards of distance outdoors in -20
weather is a bit excessive.

Excessive starts where I can't smell it any more plus ten yards. Anything
up to that is in my "space". It wouldn't matter if it was just the smell,
but it causes me to have breathing difficulties and brings on angina. I
think that's why they ban burning rubber tires, other things that give off
carcinogenic smoke, and the like. And if it is giving off known carcinogens
like tobacco, I don't want it around at all. Period.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Learn how to care for a friend.
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 22:14:11 -0800, "Steve B"
wrote:

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 09:36:58 -0800, "Steve B"
wrote:

"Don Foreman" wrote

[...]

You don't need to lecture me about that, Steve. Mary is allergic to
smoke. I didn't quit until 2008, but our house and cars have been
smoke-free since our git-go in '83. When we went out to eat we
always chose the non-smoking sections back when smoking was still
allowed indoors in MN.

Mar actually didn't mind the smell of smoke and sometimes even kinda
liked it, but more than a wee whiff obviously caused her significant
discomfort. She has never smoked. Her mom and all three younger
siblings did. Her mom and two younger siblings died of lung cancer.
Her dad never smoked and used to give me **** about it now and then,
maybe because we were good friends and he knew that Mary loved me.

Never having smoked and having been a regular speed-skater at Aldrich
Arena, he checked out with a massive myocardial infarct at age
younger than I am now. Nobody said that life would be fair.

Good news is that he checked out grinning while riding his snowmobile
somewhere north of the border. There's a whole bunch of border in
northern MN, easily crossed by sled when the boundary waters are
frozen. His buds smuggled his corpse and sled back into the US.

Outdoors up north and in the boat fishing, I would only smoke downwind
from Mary. If the wind shifted, my smoke got snuffed RFN. Matter of
respect. We've been a small team of two for some years.

Anti-smoking zeolots can be as big a PITA as any other form of zeolot.
Perhaps I'm zealously anti-zeolot. All zeolots should be kept at
least 50 yards from the precious, special and exemplary me. That
includes pro- or anti- zeolots about various religions, political
parties, guns, smoking, or how to properly prepare pasta.

I guess I don't mind if we tax the hell out of smokers, now that I'm
not one. We're already doing that bigtime, but more wouldn't gore my
ox and they're a minority so **** 'em if they can't take a joke, ja?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ATP ATP is offline

"Don Foreman" wrote in message

Good news is that he checked out grinning while riding his snowmobile
somewhere north of the border. There's a whole bunch of border in
northern MN, easily crossed by sled when the boundary waters are
frozen. His buds smuggled his corpse and sled back into the US.

That is way cool....

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don Foreman wrote:
On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 09:36:58 -0800, "Steve B"
"Don Foreman" wrote

I don't smoke anymore, but it still ****es me off to see smokers
having to shiver "off campus" of some facilities to grab a smoke when
it's skatey-eight below freakin' zero.

I don't smoke any more, either. And I don't mind one whit seeing them out
there, because I don't have to smell that crap, and immediately have
trouble
breathing and get angina. I wish they would ban public smoking, as even
at the golf course, you can get a good whiff of someone on the next
fairway smoking a fat dog turd filled cigar.

I certainly respect your right to not be exposed to second-hand smoke,
but I think requiring over 50 yards of distance outdoors in -20
weather is a bit excessive.

What about my right not to be exposed to second-hand car exhaust?

Thanks,
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
. ..
On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 09:36:58 -0800, "Steve B"
wrote:

"Don Foreman" wrote

[...]

I am not lecturing, so don't get me wrong. I'd be just as offended if my
neighbor lit up a few tires. I'm not a zealot on this subject, and will
just remove myself from the location if possible, and if not, deal with it.

I have always had this wonder in my life. Some cancers take 10 to 30 years
to come on. By then, we don't know what wisp of wild smoke, or which caulk,
or what welding job actually caused the cancer. I would like to be able to
look back, and see just what caused the problem. Maybe something I did, or
something that some oaf bombarded me with, unintentionally yet negligently,
of course.

What we do affects people around us, sometimes for a great distance. We
just have been bombarded by everyone's freedoms to the point that some
people are stepped on and lose their freedom to grant someone else theirs.
I can't get too religious about things, yet atheists have the ability to
spout and publish without restrictions. That seems a little unbalanced to
me. I think that I have the right to protect myself from known carcinogens
more than that person has to willy nilly broadcast them to the wind.

As for smoking, I'm at a place both geographically and mentally that it
comes into play very infrequently. And anyone can smoke at my house. I
have two designated areas. One is out by all the cactus and the other is
down in the pasture with all the cow turds.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Learn how to care for a friend.
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Rich Grise" wrote

What about my right not to be exposed to second-hand car exhaust?

Thanks,
Rich

What about it?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Rich Grise wrote:

Don Foreman wrote:
On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 09:36:58 -0800, "Steve B"
"Don Foreman" wrote

I don't smoke anymore, but it still ****es me off to see smokers
having to shiver "off campus" of some facilities to grab a smoke when
it's skatey-eight below freakin' zero.

I don't smoke any more, either. And I don't mind one whit seeing them out
there, because I don't have to smell that crap, and immediately have
trouble
breathing and get angina. I wish they would ban public smoking, as even
at the golf course, you can get a good whiff of someone on the next
fairway smoking a fat dog turd filled cigar.

I certainly respect your right to not be exposed to second-hand smoke,
but I think requiring over 50 yards of distance outdoors in -20
weather is a bit excessive.

What about my right not to be exposed to second-hand car exhaust?

How is is second hand, dumbass?

enough left over to pay them.