Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B[_10_] Steve B[_10_] is offline

Default 75th Rangers ( Gunner's unit in Vietnam), was Fast track to inequality....

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 22:14:11 -0800, "Steve B"
wrote:

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
. ..
On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 09:36:58 -0800, "Steve B"
wrote:

"Don Foreman" wrote

I don't smoke anymore, but it still ****es me off to see smokers
having to shiver "off campus" of some facilities to grab a smoke when
it's skatey-eight below freakin' zero.

I don't smoke any more, either. And I don't mind one whit seeing them
out
there, because I don't have to smell that crap, and immediately have
trouble
breathing and get angina. I wish they would ban public smoking, as even
at
the golf course, you can get a good whiff of someone on the next fairway
smoking a fat dog turd filled cigar.

Steve

I certainly respect your right to not be exposed to second-hand smoke,
but I think requiring over 50 yards of distance outdoors in -20
weather is a bit excessive.

Excessive starts where I can't smell it any more plus ten yards. Anything
up to that is in my "space". It wouldn't matter if it was just the smell,
but it causes me to have breathing difficulties and brings on angina. I
think that's why they ban burning rubber tires, other things that give off
carcinogenic smoke, and the like. And if it is giving off known
carcinogens
like tobacco, I don't want it around at all. Period.

Steve

You don't need to lecture me about that, Steve. Mary is allergic to
smoke. I didn't quit until 2008, but our house and cars have been
smoke-free since our git-go in '83. When we went out to eat we
always chose the non-smoking sections back when smoking was still
allowed indoors in MN.

Mar actually didn't mind the smell of smoke and sometimes even kinda
liked it, but more than a wee whiff obviously caused her significant
discomfort. She has never smoked. Her mom and all three younger
siblings did. Her mom and two younger siblings died of lung cancer.
Her dad never smoked and used to give me **** about it now and then,
maybe because we were good friends and he knew that Mary loved me.

Never having smoked and having been a regular speed-skater at Aldrich
Arena, he checked out with a massive myocardial infarct at age
younger than I am now. Nobody said that life would be fair.

Good news is that he checked out grinning while riding his snowmobile
somewhere north of the border. There's a whole bunch of border in
northern MN, easily crossed by sled when the boundary waters are
frozen. His buds smuggled his corpse and sled back into the US.

Outdoors up north and in the boat fishing, I would only smoke downwind
from Mary. If the wind shifted, my smoke got snuffed RFN. Matter of
respect. We've been a small team of two for some years.

Anti-smoking zeolots can be as big a PITA as any other form of zeolot.
Perhaps I'm zealously anti-zeolot. All zeolots should be kept at
least 50 yards from the precious, special and exemplary me. That
includes pro- or anti- zeolots about various religions, political
parties, guns, smoking, or how to properly prepare pasta.

I guess I don't mind if we tax the hell out of smokers, now that I'm
not one. We're already doing that bigtime, but more wouldn't gore my
ox and they're a minority so **** 'em if they can't take a joke, ja?

I am not lecturing, so don't get me wrong. I'd be just as offended if my
neighbor lit up a few tires. I'm not a zealot on this subject, and will
just remove myself from the location if possible, and if not, deal with it.

I have always had this wonder in my life. Some cancers take 10 to 30 years
to come on. By then, we don't know what wisp of wild smoke, or which caulk,
or what welding job actually caused the cancer. I would like to be able to
look back, and see just what caused the problem. Maybe something I did, or
something that some oaf bombarded me with, unintentionally yet negligently,
of course.

What we do affects people around us, sometimes for a great distance. We
just have been bombarded by everyone's freedoms to the point that some
people are stepped on and lose their freedom to grant someone else theirs.
I can't get too religious about things, yet atheists have the ability to
spout and publish without restrictions. That seems a little unbalanced to
me. I think that I have the right to protect myself from known carcinogens
more than that person has to willy nilly broadcast them to the wind.

As for smoking, I'm at a place both geographically and mentally that it
comes into play very infrequently. And anyone can smoke at my house. I
have two designated areas. One is out by all the cactus and the other is
down in the pasture with all the cow turds.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Learn how to care for a friend.